PDA

View Full Version : Reloading new annealed rifle brass

duckey
02-01-2015, 05:41 PM
NEW annealed brass.

I bought some NEW annealed Hornady 375 H&H Brass from a member on this site (who I will post up on straight shooters). My question is.....is there any prep work involved prior to loading?, other than possibly case trimming. I have only loaded once fired brass.

EDG
02-02-2015, 06:30 AM
I always lube the inside of the case neck and run the expander ball into the next to round up all the dented case mouths.

Then I deburr the inside edge of the case mouth to ease seating the first bullet.
I also check the outside for a large flange burr. Usually there no significant burr and I only knock off a few artifacts that are sticking out.

Just because it is new brass does not mean there is zero chance for defects. Examine the new cases as you handle them while expanding the necks and deburring. Then wash the case lube out of the necks or simply wipe it out using a piece of tee shirt wrapped on a bore brush.

If all is well, prime and load.

Then wipe the finger prints off your new brass so it does not finger print tarnish.

duckey
02-02-2015, 10:51 AM
So I have an RCBS FL 2 die set, should I run the brass though with these dies or get just a neck sizing die? Thanks for the info!

country gent
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
I would full length size same as any new brass to insure it will chamber and feed well. new brass may have body dings or be slightly larger. I normally size it before annealing to have that done and not add the extra stress to the cases right after. But new annealed brass that hasnt been fired in your rifles chamber may need the sizing. I would lube then jube inside of case necks trim chamfer and deburr do any uniforming that you feel is required then load.

EDG
02-03-2015, 02:32 AM
Other than rounding up the case mouths and deburring like I posted about I never FL size new brass.

I have had brass that was really beat up ,even though new, that I sized about half the neck to fix all the dents.

A conventional size die usually sizes a case neck about .006 to .008 more than necessary so i avoid sizing new brass if possible. For the most part neck dies don't seem to do anything good. I much prefer a FL die set to push the shoulder back to the original position (.000 clearance) to .001 clearance. If fired in an autoloader I push the shoulder back .002.

Screwbolts
02-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Duckey, It has always been my understanding that all new brass has been annealed multiple times during the forming procedures. Hornady has just chosen to market/send out the brass they have their head stamp on, with the last annealing still clearly visible, this IMHO, is just a cost savings to them because they have not done the unneeded final polish to remove the annealing marks/evidence. I would treat it as any other new brass you have worked with.

Ken

duckey
02-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Roger that, however I have never reloaded NEW brass! So from what I am reading...some say FL size some say don't.

rtracy2001
02-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Put me down for FL sizing. While I haven't used Hornady brand new brass, I have used both Remington and Winchester and found them to need FL sizing (based on the variation in effort resizing, they are not all the same size). I also like to uniform/debur flash holes.