PDA

View Full Version : POI Change When Shooting From Rest

ejcrist
02-01-2015, 12:09 PM
I typically accuracy test SA revolvers from a MTM pistol rest. The butt is off the rest and (in my hands) and the barrel rests in the padded wedge. After I determine the best load I switch to shooting off-hand and usually end up re-adjusting the sights for the change in POI. Does anyone else use this method and notice a change in POI and if so, which direction does the POI change? I was just curious.

Gene

44man
02-01-2015, 12:25 PM
I have that rest and when I shoot my big stuff from it the rest flies over my head.
Some revolvers DO change POI but I have not found too many. If you want the right setting, shoot from Creedmore or from arm rests on your knees.
I rest the muzzle on a bag and the butt on a rear bag. I can hit at 100 off hand with no change. It is your control without roll in the hand. Hold the gun tight off hand. You are allowing the gun to take over. I bet you hold very hard off the rest but not off hand.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-01-2015, 12:34 PM
I have found with .44 Special and .45 Colt loads when fired from Colt SAA's from the rest at 25 yards the point of impact is lower than when I shoot these load off hand with a two hand hold at the same distance.

My rest is comprised of resting the frame on a gear bag with elbows on the bench, not a Ransom rest.

Artful
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Have you tried supporting your forearms and leaving your wrist and the gun unsupported?

ejcrist
02-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Have you tried supporting your forearms and leaving your wrist and the gun unsupported?

Not yet. I'm going to try that sometime this week when I can get down to the range.

44 Man - I think you're right about different tension between on and off the rest. I'll try to do the same at both and see if they're more consistent (between on/off rest).

44man
02-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I missed the first three deer with my then new .475, taking pounds of hair off backs without breaking skin! :holysheep
I found I relaxed too much with deer.
I now use the same settings I get from bags, it was my fault. I had to talk to myself--"hold tight." I got used to it and even my .500 JRH is sighted from bags.

rintinglen
02-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I have found that It is a virtual certainty that my sights will need readjustment after sighting in from a bench. Sometimes just a little, but sometimes several inches, it seems more noticeable in the shorter barreled guns. Usually, I find the shots will hit lower off hand than from the bench, often a click or two to the left as well, but the only way for me to be sure is to shoot a bunch of groups and compare.

osteodoc08
02-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Ah. The joys of shooting.

Fluxed
02-04-2015, 10:00 PM

^^^^ This. Absolutely this. ^^^^