PDA

View Full Version : The IF I ever get another one page...

madcaster
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I'll never let it go!
What's your choice?
This is meant to be a gun you may have owned or used in the past,and do not have now.
Mine is a S&W N-27-2,6" barrel,no need for the wooden box,it can stay on my hip in the holster!:-D

EDK
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
A Smith & Wesson model 24 .44 Special with 6.5 inch barrel....

OR Back in the 70s, I put a factory 6.5 inch model 24 barrel on a nice model 27 and had it re-chambered to 44 Special. (It went south in a burglary!)

These were the days of unavailable model 29s and scalpers prices for the few you could find.I worked a bunch of overtime and coughed up the price of a 6.5 inch model 29 and didn't like it near as much as the 24/27 conversion.

Honorable mention to an original Ruger 44 Flat Top (3 screw; also gone in the burglary! H--- of a day; passed on a transfer, got burglarized in a new house and got the wife pregnant....D---!)

:castmine::Fire:

Murphy
02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
A Smith & Wesson Model 66 with a 3" tube and a round butt. Best packin' .357 I ever owned, very few of them around and when they are? I ain't wantin' another one THAT bad.

Murphy

02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Back in '80 I let a S&W 19 go. Sweetest .357 I ever shot.

Bullshop
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
1911 A1 Pachmayer signature.
Picked it up at a gun show for 175. Fella just got it from an estate sale and had it in a pile of stuff. It didnt look all that good on the outside but it sure felt good. I pulled it apart while the vender was talking to a customer and saw on the inside was the Pachmayer signature. No wonder it felt so good! Put it back together and asked how much. I couldnt get the $ out fast enough.
Some years down the road something caught my eye and I let it get away. I thought I would just get another 45 someday. I have paid lots more money for gold cups and custom guns but not a one shot as good as the Pachmayer. STUPID!
BIC/BS

ktw
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
This is meant to be a gun you may have owned or used in the past,and do not have now.

M2 50 Caliber machine gun. It was not mine. It belonged to my Uncle Sam. He was also nice enough to provide the ammo.

I haven't traded off a lot of guns. None that I regret, anyway. There is a S&W Model 63 (22lr kit gun, stainless) that my Dad borrowed. I expect to get that one back someday.

-ktw

felix
02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
A couple of Pythons were stolen when I lived in Houston. No other gun was taken. Highly insured they were. Got new ones in return, and had both tuned up properly by outsiders who knew them quite well. But, if they got stolen again, I would not miss them, and put the money instead towards custom long guns. ... felix

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
My Baikal 12gn Over under, Or my H&r 150 leather neck.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

shooting on a shoestring
02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
A Ruger New Model Single Six convertable .22LR/.22Mag. Got it in Junior High, traded it off for a NIB Model 19 about a year later. I don't regret the trade b/c I love the Model 19, but I soon greived the loss of the NMSS. So, I bought a new one a couple of years later, still have it, love it.

I haven't turned loose of a firearm since my High School days (graduated in 1982). I don't have many, and they are not expensive, so there's no reason to give one up. I've considered it several times and always have been glad I just waited and saved until I could purchase outright whatever I was wanting.

Recently I considered trading off my old Winchester 63 for a .45 acp. Now I'm glad I didn't. Someday I'll get a .45 acp, there's lots of them around, but I'd never get another 63, they don't make them anymore.

9.3X62AL
02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Easy answer to this question--S&W Model 25-2 in 45 ACP. ARGHHHHHH!!

I've been lucky enough to get back a couple "sold-offs" that I regretted having sold. One in particular--a Ruger 77R in 6.5 x 55--is likely the most reloader-friendly centerfire rifle I've ever owned. Just run any 140 grain spitzer bullet at 2400-2700 FPS, and it gives 1" groups @ 100 yards--Speer, Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler are all the same to that critter. You can rest assured it will stay here.

bisleyfan41
02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Mine is one I've never shot or owned at all, but try as I might, I can't find now. The gun is the AcuSport Bisley in 41 mag. These SS guns were shipped and mostly sold before my interest in the 41. Now that I'm actively persuing one, they seem rather elusive. The sad part is that I've had a couple chances to get one; both on auction sites. And I played around too long...you know the excuses.....too expensive, no money right now, another will come up soon. By the time I said "what the heck, let's get it.", it was gone. And after both, I felt absolutely sick. I did this twice. Can you say STUPID!
Anyway, that is my regret. Although I've never owned the gun or shot one, I've let 2 get away that I could've had. NEVER AGAIN!!

Kraschenbirn
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
This is an easy one. The pre-'64 Winchester M70 Featherweight in .270 that I let my Dad trade to his best buddy for a Browning A-5. I was a participant in the Greater Southeast Asia Wargames at the time and Dad had (I think) coveted that Belgian-made Browning from the first time he'd seen it. So, when he wrote and asked if I'd sell him the M70 (and explained why he wanted it), I wrote back and told him to go ahead and do the deal and he and I would work out something between ourselves when I got home. Well, by the time I finished my second tour, GCA 68 was a fact of life and prices for Pre-'64 Winchesters were sky-high so I never got around to replacing it. That M70...the one Dad traded...his old hunting buddy gave it to his grandson a couple of years before he passed away and, so far as I know, it's still taking game out there somewhere.

Bill

scrapcan
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
One is the same as Al, a 25-2 full target presentation grade in the wood box with all papers. I had it and shot it and was not quite done paying for it and needed cash. I should have sold a batch of other guns instead.

Another is a S&W 4th generation safety hammerless 38S&W. It needed a little work by a good smith and I let it go not being able to find one locally, should have boxed it up and shipped it off.

And a third, an early Ruger 4 5/8 SSM Bisley in 32 H&R mag. I shot a zillion O and OO buckshot out of it. It was much more fun and just as cheap as a 22lr at the time.

xtimberman
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
A nice original S&W Model of 1917 "Brazilian" in .45 acp - This time, I'll use auto-rim cases and lead bullets.

xtm

OBXPilgrim
02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes, I'm guilty too.

Mine was an M1 Garand - made by H&R. I put it together from parts that were all H&R (except the stock), back when you could only get 1 DCM/CMP gun per llifetime (I wanted an H&R). First shot from that gun after building/boresighting, was to cut one leg of the "X" in the x-ring at 100yards - with the standard iron sights & match handload. I'd gotten a couple more H&R M1's since I'd built that one & let it go to a very good home - ex-marine friend that wanted it really bad - and yes, he knew I built it.

Dutch4122
02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Colt New Frontier Six-Shooter in .22 LR, blued with the 4 5/8" barrel. Had a pair of imitation pearl grips. Pointed like yer finger and locked up tight as a drum. Shot like a lazer beam, too. Sold it off in a fit of stupidity to pay for tuition in college.

S&W Model 10 4 inch blued fixed sight .38 with the tapered barrel and the "rounded" profile hammer. Made in the 20's. Shot even better than the Colt. Sold it off for the same reason, damn tuition.

I could go on (like mentioning the S&W 686 4 inch) but what's the point. My "education" sure was hard on my hobby!:roll:

Tom W.
02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
A Colt Huntsman with a 4" barrel.

AZ-Stew
02-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Beretta 12ga PUMP (yes, pump) shotgun I owned back in the 70s. Let it go to buy a Remington 870 Magnum so I could shoot 3" magnum buckshot loads during the "organized', dog-drive hunts run by the hunt club I belonged to in Eastern Virginia. Tha Beretta had the slickest action I've ever seen on any firearm. You could point the muzzle tward the ceiling, and with an empty chamber, push the slide release and the action would open fully by force of gravity, and when I got it, it was nearly new. The Beretta had a very open choke and I wanted something a little tighter. I knew I could get extra barrels for the Remington (in the days before interchangeable choke tubes), but the Beretta was somewhat of an orphan, and I didn't want to botch up its smooth lines by having an adjustable choke device fitted to the muzzle. Face it, they looked like crap. Last time I saw it, one of the other members of the Denbeigh Rod and Gun Club (my hunt club) was toting it around Gloucester County, circa 1976.

Then there was the 4" M-57 Smith that once belonged to the Santa Barbara, CA, PD. I bought it from the West Coast S&W service center when SBPD swapped out their 57s for M-66s.

Or the Colt Government Model .45 I let go in near new condition for $135, including holster, dies and a couple of boxes of factory ammo back in the mid 70s.

Or the stainless Ruger Security Six I had bought for my wife at one time. Sold that one to buy food for the family during a stretch of hard times. The Remington 870 discussed above and several other guns went by the wayside back then, too.

Or...

Oh, well. There are new wood and steel friends to meet and spend time with now. Maybe I'll find a replacement for one or more of the ones I've parted company with over the years. That's what makes gun shows fun.

Regards,

Stew

jim4065
02-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Two of 'em come to mind:

A 30-40 Krag in fine original condition that I bought at Pony Express in Encino for less than $20 in 1962 - left it in a hock shop in Tucson later that summer when I started hopping freight trains to Houston as a run-away.

The other was a scoped Remington 541S that would reliably shoot a squirrels eye at 100 yards - each and every time. Never had another 22 as accurate. Traded it for a Colt AR-15 back in my "Bang-Bang" days.

Like the man said: Stupid. [smilie=b:

454PB
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I traded a beautiful pre 64 Winchester model 64 30/30 for an 8 track tape player.

madcaster
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
454pb
You What????:confused::cry:

Bret4207
02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Not a steekin' peestol but, my beautimus Marlin M-39 "Mountie" with an equally nice Marbles Tang sight meant for a 336. Even had a Marlin sling off a 336x356 Win that got left in the box. I think I got about $75.00 for the gun. STOOPID, STOOPID, STOOPID! But, we needed bucks fast and we got it. Had a 20 ga Win M-12 that went at the same time for about $150.00. Crazy.

xtimberman
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I've had this conversation many times over the years. HeHe!

Not always, but the usual common denominator is a girl. Those of us, who in our youthful adulthood, foolishly sold off a really dandy firearm to raise some quick cash, have usually done it to buy something nice to try to impress a would-be sweetheart. In most cases, both are long gone. The favored firearm is still fondly remembered, but we'd never recognize the gal if we passed her on the street.

xtm

MT Gianni
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I had the choice of a Browning Auto 5 or an engagement ring and chose the ring. It still gets mentioned after 30+ years of marriage by either of us "well probably shoulda gone with the Browning".
There is a nice Mod 28 smith and holster I'd like to have back as well as a Browning take down 22. It never shot the best but was just cool. Gianni

scb
02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
5.7mm Johnson sporter carbine.

Four Fingers of Death
02-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I never really sell guns, but I have sold a heap to feed and clothe children during rough spots. I would love to get back my old 222 Anschutz Deluxe, sweet thing. I sold a beaut sporterised P14 which bordered on a custom rifle, but I wasn't happy with the 303 chambering, traded it for a bog standard M17 Eddystone which was also sold for a minimal amount to feed kids. An early 308 Win Browning Commercial action in mint condition, I made a money on that one, but was sad to see it go. I recently sold a very original pre64 Mod 70 in 243 Win when my late wife took ill. I'd kinda like that one back, but it is good hands, my friend's wife has it and she loves it, her first centrefire and she hunts regularly, can't begrudge her the rifle all things considered.

Whoops! I just realised that this was the handguns page. I sold a CZ75 which I loved, and a Ruger 45, which had a goofy trigger, but shot like a custom bullseye gun, big ragged holes!!!! :(

26Charlie
02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Back when fixed sight S&W's were going for $60 - $70 I had a .38-44 Heavy Duty and a .44 Military, both with 5" barrels, and had a gunsmith mill the frames and install S&W adjustable sights. Then the front sights were milled to a slot and higher front sights pinned in. I still have the guns, and they still shoot great but if I had left the things alone they would be worth twice what they are now.

adkpete
02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Either the Colt woodsman I had or the Savage 24CS I gave to my brother that he won't give back.

GSPKurt
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Colt Combat Commander, in Satin Nickel, like the one I sold in '79 or '80 for $235.00.

GSPKurt
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
I traded a beautiful pre 64 Winchester model 64 30/30 for an 8 track tape player.

I can't believe you admitted that in a public forum!

LarryM
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
S&W 586 with 6" barrel, I special ordered it in the mid '80s sold it to feed the kids in the late '90s.
Also had a old model/flat gate Ruger Single Six made in 1956, sold it and a Ruger Mark II when the ife "forgot" about a credit card and quit paying it till she got sued. That one almost cost me a wife.