PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever

lightman
02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Well, Duck Season is over, and after today most of the Bowl Games will be too! I have a bunch (1000-1200#) of wheel weights to smelt and a few hundred pounds of other junk. I'm thinking that the next weekend that we have decent weather that I may be posting some smelting pics!

I'm also trying to talk a buddy into taking me to his club that has an indoor range. I was a member there before we moved, and its possible that the bullet trap has not been mined since I was there. I'm thinking that a weekday would be the best time.

So, what do you guys plan to do until spring?

Beagle333
02-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Spring here is every other day. :roll: It was 27° yesterday at daylight when I was in my deer stand, then up to 57°; nice and warm today, but rain imminent; going to 44° tonight, which incidentally is the high for Monday (reached only because it will be left over at midnight from today), when the temp is going to fall all day to 24° tomorrow night. We'll have Spring again on Wednesday.
:holysheep

btroj
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
We get brief warm periods to let me get out and shoot. In the meantime it is casting, forming cases, and playing with the lathe.

62chevy
02-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Just waiting on some a universal decapping die and assorted sizers. When that comes in it will be time to deprime, clean brass and make some boolits when it warms up a bit.

RogerDat
02-02-2015, 12:52 AM
Getting things lined up for when milder temperatures arrive. Right now the snow is really coming down with wind piling up the drifts they are running well over a foot. Not the worst I've seen but I'm not really going to open the garage door and smelt lead for at least a few days.... say sometime in march or april. Top of my list is getting some equipment and the WW's smelted, brass ready. All my ducks in a row so I can rock and roll once the weather warms up a bit.

62chevy
02-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Getting things lined up for when milder temperatures arrive. Right now the snow is really coming down with wind piling up the drifts they are running well over a foot. Not the worst I've seen but I'm not really going to open the garage door and smelt lead for at least a few days.... say sometime in march or april. Top of my list is getting some equipment and the WW's smelted, brass ready. All my ducks in a row so I can rock and roll once the weather warms up a bit.

Michigan has some strange winters. I've seen 70s in January and then I've seen were it never gets past 0 until sometime in February. In WV it mostly rains but you do get some snow just not enough to worry about.

mold maker
02-02-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm still sorting and preping brass, but the urge to pour is getting strong. There are several new molds to prep, heat season, and try. I have plenty to keep me off the streets.

Jal5
02-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Prepping brass for the 223 and will load some later this month. Still fine tuning my load for that one but all indoors stuff for the foreseeable future in Ohio this time of year. Will load some more 45 auto and 9mm always need more of those ready to go. When the weather breaks a little bit I can pour more boolits in the garage but the door needs to be ajar for that process!

nagantguy
02-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Roger that Rogerdat; I'm in fowlerville MI and we got 14 inches on Sunday, put and end to out door casting made rabbit hunting hard and I was planning a range day today but its 3° f out right now with a stiff north west wind, made it sound less fun than it should be......

RogerDat
02-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Last year my wife wrote "Happy Easter" in the snow on her windshield. Yep this is Michigan, if you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it'll change.... to something even more insane.

We have 4 seasons. Almost winter, winter, still winter, mosquito. Summer AKA those three months of poor snowmobile riding. The only white we wear after labor day is thermal underwear. But if I was honest I wouldn't want to live anyplace else.

dikman
02-05-2015, 06:08 AM
Umm, I still have about 80 lbs. of range scrap left that I'd like to melt, but the forecast for the next week or so is around 100* or so. Don't think I'll be doing it. (This Saturday is range day for the club, but at a predicted 102* I'm not sure if anyone will be going :-().

62chevy
02-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Umm, I still have about 80 lbs. of range scrap left that I'd like to melt, but the forecast for the next week or so is around 100* or so. Don't think I'll be doing it. (This Saturday is range day for the club, but at a predicted 102* I'm not sure if anyone will be going :-().

Would 18 deg F help?

dikman
02-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Most definitely! Care to send some our way? :lol: (I hate hot weather!).

62chevy
02-05-2015, 06:23 PM
I'll see what I can do but it might take a while, lol.

Old Ranger
02-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Been down as low as -30 C some mornings lately here in Central Ont. Throw in a breeze and you're looking at windchill of -35+ Just as a matter of interest -40C and -40F are exactly the same degree of coldness. It really doesn't matter which way you measure it - 40 is COLD.