PDA

View Full Version : Boolits for Marlin .44 mag

Wialco
01-31-2015, 09:58 PM
I have a recently acquired a JM marlin in .44 mag. It's an early 70's model with Microgroove rifling indicated on the barrel. I've shot some Lyman 429421 and the Lyman GC version of this mold cast from my #2 Lyman alloy recipe and sized to .430. .430 is as big as I can size to with this mold. They do fairly well but believe they need to go up another .001 or two. Can't get a good slug on the barrel as my boolits aren't big enough or so I'm thinking. What mold/alloy are others using and sizing to for these rifles. I might go to a harder alloy and squeak another .001 out of it but don't really want a harder bullet as my grandson would like to take a deer with it at some point. I know some of you must have this already worked out?

Bill

Nobade
01-31-2015, 10:40 PM
If I am using smokeless powder, my 1894 likes the 265gr. Ranch Dog or a custom 260gr. I had Mountain Molds make. Both are shot at .433", which is a nice slip fit in a fired case. It also works quite well with the RCBS 44-240-SIL if I paper patch it up to .433" Any smaller shoots quite poorly and leads the bore.

Mostly I shoot it with black powder though, and boolit diameter becomes much less critical. I usually use the NOE biglube style one, sized .430" over a full load of FFFg. It's very accurate with this load as well, though less powerful than it is with smokeless. Easier on the shoulder though.

-Nobade

centershot
01-31-2015, 10:58 PM
You can increase diameter with the alloy you are now using by "beagling" the mold with some aluminum HVAC tape and then lubing with Lee Liquid Alox. If they cast at .432-.4343" DO NOT size them, shoot them as-cast. http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/BDE.pdf

winelover
02-01-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm using NOE's conventional lube grooved version of Ranch Dog's 265 RNFP, in my Marlin 1894. Cast out of WW alloy, it drops at .433 diameter. Used this boolit to take a 7 point buck this season.

Winelover

Wialco
02-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Many thanks for the replies. In that I have two .44 molds I'm going to try the beagling first and see what happens. If I can get the size to where they can be shot as cast, I won't be looking at buying a new mold. I may still go a bit more oversize as I prefer my own homemade boolit lube and will need a sizer die for that and installing gas checks if I go that route. You've given me plenty to think about and experiment with and that's half the fun! What a great site this is and as always shooters are willing to share their knowledge base.

Bill

Rodfac
02-01-2015, 11:02 PM
I've had great luck with Lyman's copy of the old Ray Thompson gc design #429215 gc as well as 429244 gc; weight 223 gr and 265 gr respectively. Cast from WW with 1% tin added for fill out, they drop from the mold at 0.433". I've slugged the bore of my Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum at 0.4325+- but bullets sized 0.431" and gas checked shoot well in it. Gps with the above two bullets hover around and inch and a half at 50 yds with a 2.5x scope mounted. I've run them at 100 yds as well and oddly enough, on that particular day, they did as well at that substantially longer range....go figgur. Leading in the micro-groove barrel is no problem; even over the course of 100 rounds in a day's shooting.

Winchester 231/HP38; Unique, Herco and Bartlett's 820 (the Accurate #9 data one) all run well in this gun. When sized 0.432", I have trouble running these two in my handguns, both Ruger and S&W. So I really like the 0.431" bullet for dual use. Gps in the rifle are a bit better (maybe 1/2" @ 50 yds) with 0.432" but I've not done extensive testing at that size. Also, .44 Special brass and loads work very well in the rifle with both bullets; as good as in the Magnum length brass in fact.

Also, sizing to 0.432" is a bit of a hassel: seat the GC on the Lyman 450, then swirl lube with 45-45-10, then size through a custom Lee push through die at 0.432", then swirl lube again with 45-45-10. Done this way, the 2x lube technique, I get no leading though the Marlin nor the hand guns.
Another good choice is Mihec's MP 433-244 GC (a faithful copy of Thompson's 429244 gc). Beautifully machined from brass, my 4-holer mold, even with the the HP pins on two cavities, drops them easily and in great quantities!. The large round HP pin results in a bullet that's every bit as accurate through the Marlin as the solid. I've yet to try the 'Penta' style HP but if the large HP pin is any indication, it should be a winner as well. Fill out is no problem at 720 degrees from my Lyman 20# bottom spout furnace.

I like Hornady GC's BTW, most staying on the bullet even in soft earth. Lube is a light coat of White label 45-45-10, then a 50-50 filling of the Keith type groove and seating the GC in my Lyman 450. My sizer for .431" actually sizes 0.4315", a real boon with the usual Marlin oversize bore.

BTW, I too have had great success with Ranch Dog's 265 WFP offering from Lee. Sized 0.432", cast from WW and double swirl lubed with 45-45-10, it's as accurate as the two Thompson designs, but lacks the versatility of a HP. If I had to bet on shots at 100 yds, this would be the bullet I'd go with in my Marlin 336. My only complaint is that the mold appears fragile...aluminium molds all appear fragile to me having cast with cast iron or brass for over 50 yrs now...so take that for what it's worth...an old timer stuck in his ways.

HTH's Rod

longbow
02-01-2015, 11:46 PM
My Marlin required quite a bit of modification to feed longer than normal OAL and the 429421 seated to crimp groove exceeds the factory OAL. Mine would not feed reliably.

Add to it that my groove diameter is 0.4315" and the mould cast at 0.429" and obviously accuracy was poor and I got bad leading.

I went first to larger diameter boolit of 0.433"/0.434" and that more or less solved the leading problem and accuracy improved. Then down the road a bit I came into an H&G #503 SWC that also wouldn't feed so I filed the cartridge stop to get the gun to handle longer OAL and that part worked but I still had feeding problems so modified the carrier until I got decent feeding with SWC's.

Now things work much better but RNFP designs worked off the get go so why bother?

Anyway, the short story is that most Marlins seem to like fat boolits of around 0.432" or larger and many do not feed SWC's reliably without some work. If yours does consider yourself fortunate.

My moulds are Mihec 434640 (casts 0.434"), Mihec H&G #503 (casts 0.434") and Accurate #43-165B (casts 0.433"). All feed and shoot well.

Longbow

EDK
02-02-2015, 02:45 PM
For rifles, my vote is for the RANCH DOG 432 265. It also removes lead from my pistol barrels. I have an Original LYMAN 429640 and MIHEC 434640(in plain base) and they work well also. My MARLINS like fat boolits at .432.; work well in an assortment of 44 VAQUEROS too.

I'd suggest a WTB for a used RANCH DOG

Wialco
02-02-2015, 09:15 PM
I've had the same issue with the 429421 on OAL. I load them long for my S&W Pre-29 for best accuracy but they won't function in the Marlin. The Smith has chamber throats right at .432 and I was hoping for a load that would serve well in both guns. That doesn't look like a viable option at this point, at least with the Keith style bullet. I've been watching for a H&G 503 mold but from what I've read they can vary quite a bit from one mold to another on the size bullet the drop with a given alloy. As much as I'd love to have the H&G, I'd want it usable in my guns. The gas checked Lyman bullet (429244?) shoots quite well out of the Marlin, 1.5" or a bit better at 50 yards, but again it has to be single loaded. This is my first 336 so I don't know what to expect for accuracy potential. Once I get a good groove measurement on the 336 I'll have a better idea where to head with this. I don't have a good soft lead slug to do it with as yet but should soon. I was anxious to shoot it so used what I had readily available. You know how kids are! Even if I am 64 years young.
ll