PDA

View Full Version : Peters 45lc Brass Issues

Terry37932
01-31-2015, 05:50 PM
I picked up a box of mixed head stamp fired 45lc brass today. I went to deprime and every piece of brass except those head stamped Peters would fit into my Lee #11 Shell Holder without issue. The flange diameter was too large, I even tried another #11 Shell Holder with the same results, has anyone else had this issue?

I'm loath to sit there with a file for obvious reasons, any comments/ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

ReloaderFred
01-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Are they the old original Peters cases? If so, they won't have an extractor groove. It wasn't until much later that the manufacturers started cutting an extractor groove into .45 Colt cases, which makes it possible to shoot them in rifles. The lack of an extractor groove is why there weren't any original rifles chambered in that caliber.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Outpost75
02-01-2015, 01:33 AM
If the old Peters cases have no relief cut turned in front of the rim, they are likely to be balloon head also.

Swap to a collector for modern brass or load with black in your tong tool.

msp2640
02-01-2015, 08:56 AM
I just dealt with the same issue this past week, when resizing a bunch of mixed 45 Colt brass - RCBS dies and shellholder. The Western brand headstamp (non ballon head) brass was giving me the fits, getting it in and out of the shell holder, as well as exactly 6 W-W cases that were a darker color than some other W-W cases I had. Every other brand, R-P, Starline, FC and the rest had no issues what so ever. It was only about 40-50 cases in total that had issues, but this will be their last reloading - I was just really happy that I was taking my time while the snow was falling using my Redding T7 and hadn't decided to try to run them thru my Lee Progressive, that would have been quite agrivating, if the shell plate is the exact same dimensionally as the RCBS shellholder. I did notice that the Starline brass, was by far the easiest in and out of the shellholder, as well as the easiest to resize (I'm sure this had to do with the load it was fired with and the firearm is was shot it, but it was a noticeable difference)

w5pv
02-01-2015, 10:04 AM
I have had the same problem with some brass,I took a little three conered file and cut a small chanfer in the mouth of the shell holder and that seemed to work of for the most part.I don't remember any problems afterwards but will keep an eye out for any after I tumbe the brass.