PDA

View Full Version : New Guy on the Forum

Lefty bullseye shooter
01-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Hello All,

My name is Scott, I'm from Illinois and just joined the forum. I shoot a LOT of bullseye pistol and about mid way through last year started casting. Not sure if this was the right place to post this but since I'm gonna melt this down I thought this forum would be appropriate.

I never thought I would get into casting but last year I cleaned out the pit at our indoor range and came home with 430#'s of nice clean lead, no jackets. Our indoor range (at least one of them)is lead only so mainly what I get is 22's and either cast or swaged 45 and 38 bullets. A friend loaned me his cast iron dutch oven and tools and I smelted that batch down. With 2 5gal buckets of ingots in the shed I got my casting stuff ordered.

I got 2 molds from NOE. A 2 cavity 200gr .45 swc with hollow point pins and on a whim a 155gr .45swc 5 cavity. A Lee 20# pot (not bottom pour) and a ladle. I started with the hollow point without a whole lot of succes. Apparently for someone just starting casting a HP mold wasn't the best choice. I then switched to 155gr. With my lead the HP casts at 200 and with the solid 212. The 155 casts at 169 with my lead and that is what I have used the most. To date I've cast about 4500 of the 169gr swc bullets. I have been adding about 2% tin to my mix and after a little practice have been getting lots of good lookin bullets.

So far I've just shot my bullets at the short line and have used commercially made bullets for the long line (Star, Zero, and Penn). The last few matches of the summer I shot my bullets and broke 2600 twice with them and fell short once with a 2599. I have shot my bullets exclusively so far this indoor season.

I'm gonna order a mold from accurate and have him modify his H&G 68 slightly to make them come out closer to 200gr with my lead. A friend loaned me his Star sizer with a .4515 die and that is what I have been using with White Labels BAC lube. I get way less leading with my bullets than I was getting with the 185 Zero swaged.

I have Pm'd D Crocket about getting his melting pot and tools and look forward to smelting the buckets in the photo. The back five buckets have 420#'s of the good clean no jacket lead. The front four have 320#'s of lead from another range I belong to that contains jackets. Not bad for a free load of lead to add to the ingots I already have. I also do some sub-contracting for a local plumbing company and often come home with a pile of lead pipe at the end of the day.

Pretty sure I have enough to keep me busy for a while!

Thanks to everyone here for all the info. Although I just joined I have read and LEARNED lots from the forum.

Hopefully I can be a productive member of the forum,

Scott

nagantguy
01-31-2015, 12:14 AM
Welcome and good luck to you, you are in the first stage of a life long addiction

pjames32
01-31-2015, 01:06 AM
Welcome! Good shooting w ur bullseye.

mjwcaster
01-31-2015, 01:25 AM
Where in IL are you?
I am in N. IL, Kankakee County, but used to live outside of Carbondale and still visit down there.

Planning on going to Igold?
BadwaterBill will be there and I would like to make it this year, for my first time.
Are you on Illinoiscarry.com

Welcome to the forum, be careful here, plenty of enablers here, never knew there were so many things I wanted and tools I needed.

And stay out of the swaging forum. I have no current need to swage anything, but I have read everything in that forum and still dream about it.

And I now lust for a lever action rifle (A rifle, who am I kidding) and plan on getting into black powder and know how to make my own thanks to this forum.

Oh and military rifles, didn't know that there were so many that I want to own, before I came here.

The list goes on.

Matt

fast ronnie
01-31-2015, 02:42 AM
Glad to have you. I've been a member for just a short time, and these guys are great. I've had several members' help in one way or another.:-P

badbob454
01-31-2015, 04:06 AM
welcome aboard , Warning this can become habit forming !! ha ha

lightman
01-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Welcome aboard! If you are shooting 2600 with your cast bullets, I'd say you got the hang of it pretty quick. Good Luck with the new mold. I'll plan to order one like it soon.

Petrol & Powder
01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Welcome Aboard !
Sounds like you've got a good grasp on things.

62chevy
01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Welcome lefty and it sounds like you have it going on.

Garyshome
01-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the forum...nice snag on the lead!

RobS
01-31-2015, 12:58 PM
This forum has a wealth of knowledge and support. Read up on the stickies at the top of each forum as well as this: http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm and this one too: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Welcome to the forum.

w5pv
01-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Welcme to the addiction

Lefty bullseye shooter
01-31-2015, 05:07 PM
Where in IL are you?
I am in N. IL, Kankakee County, but used to live outside of Carbondale and still visit down there.

Planning on going to Igold?
BadwaterBill will be there and I would like to make it this year, for my first time.
Are you on Illinoiscarry.com

Welcome to the forum, be careful here, plenty of enablers here, never knew there were so many things I wanted and tools I needed.

And stay out of the swaging forum. I have no current need to swage anything, but I have read everything in that forum and still dream about it.

And I now lust for a lever action rifle (A rifle, who am I kidding) and plan on getting into black powder and know how to make my own thanks to this forum.

Oh and military rifles, didn't know that there were so many that I want to own, before I came here.

The list goes on.

Matt

Matt,

I live in O'Fallon. 20 min east of St.Louis. I make it up to Kankakee once a year for the state match at the ISRA range.

Glad to hear you are going to IGOLD this year. I have been going the last 3 or 4 years and last years attendance was way down after getting concealed carry. Seems a lot of people think the fight is over. WRONG!!! It will be never ending. It's a really neat experience with some good speakers. ISRA is a great organization for gun rights in IL. Even though they really dropped the ball this last election in a certain area but thats another story.

I am not on Illinois carry. Maybe I'll see you at Igold.

Scott

Lefty bullseye shooter
01-31-2015, 05:16 PM
Welcome aboard! If you are shooting 2600 with your cast bullets, I'd say you got the hang of it pretty quick. Good Luck with the new mold. I'll plan to order one like it soon.

I have learned a lot already. But haven't shot my bullets at 50yds for slowfire yet. I had a gun built last year and the more I shot it the worse I got. Was doing some sandbag testing at 50 and it was really dissapointing. Tested a friends $800 Springfield Raange Officer the same day it it just shot circles around my custom gun. Shortly after that the dot became just a red smear in the tube and I finally figured out the scope was broke. It was causing problems all along and just getting worse and worse till it finally fell apart. It's going back to Ultra Dot. I'll test my bullets again this spring at 50.

I think I read the first book when I got started. I'll have to check out the other link.

And yes I have found out this is addicting. I'm looking into buying molds for guns I might buy someday.

Scott

flyingmonkey35
02-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Fun fun fun

You got to powder coat some for your next bullesye match.

Go Kawasaki green. Or hot pink and really make em stare at you.

bobthenailer
02-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the forum ! I am also a avid BE shooter as well as a boolet caster, been doing both since the mid 1970's , my problem is it now takes a two hand hold to shoot as well as i once did using a one hand hold.

prs
02-04-2015, 07:50 PM
You be in a heap o' trouble! These here lead melt'n knuckle draggin' enthusiasts will ruin Ya. Enjoy!

Make sure you read Swede Nelson's instructions for the pin type molds. Get the pins hot and the mold hot and keep a good pace. Shake the pins into place before closing the mold. They work GREAT! For pistol volume production, a bottom pour pot might have been a better choice, but a large dipper will serve well once you get the "moves" down pat.

prs

flylot
02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
As an *** myself, welcome. You are indeed fortunate to have such a great head start on obtaining lead. I wish i could be so fortunate.

Taylor
02-04-2015, 08:16 PM
It's a good place,you'll like it.Welcome

Lefty bullseye shooter
02-05-2015, 01:31 AM
Flyingmonkey-As a long ago owner of a ZX-7 I'm kinda partial to Kawasaki green but I'll keep the paint on the motorcycle. I'm not sending paint down the barrel of my 1.5" wad gun!

Bobthenailer-Glad to hear your still shooting bullseye! A couple of guys on my team have been riding together to our league for over 45 years. Sounds like your keeping up with them. You might even know one of them.

PRS-I called at talked to (cant remember his name) the guy at NOE. He's very nice and really took time to talk to me about how to cast with the pins. I was afraid of getting the mold too hot and he squashed my fears of that. last time I cast with it I was getting some good bullets that were dropping easy. I gave all those bullets to my dad though.

Flylot-Thats the benefit of being a match director at the club. I have a key to the range!

I have already learned a lot and look forward to learning more,

Scott

woodbutcher
02-05-2015, 03:36 AM
:smile: Hi Lefty.Welcome aboard.Great folks here abouts.If they can`t answer a question they more than likely know someone who can.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

dikman
02-05-2015, 06:41 AM
G'day Lefty, welcome to the addiction.

A suggestion, perhaps - as you have lead from two different ranges, consider mixing them all together before smelting them as it should give a more uniform mix. Also, .22 lead is generally considered to have little (or no) tin, so mixing thoroughly with the higher tin content stuff should give a better mix.

Sgt Petro
02-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Welcome home!

Lefty bullseye shooter
02-05-2015, 09:31 PM
G'day Lefty, welcome to the addiction.

A suggestion, perhaps - as you have lead from two different ranges, consider mixing them all together before smelting them as it should give a more uniform mix. Also, .22 lead is generally considered to have little (or no) tin, so mixing thoroughly with the higher tin content stuff should give a better mix.

I thought about doing that but I don't think I will. The "good" stuff I have is so close to what I want it to be I don't think I want to change it. I was thinking I would either give the other stuff away or sell some of it to pay for the tin I add to the good stuff. Make sense?

Scott