PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ideas on a small semi auto

Thumbcocker
01-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Mrs. Thumbcocker is thinking she needs a small semi auto. She likes her Lc9s but feels she needs another to keep it company. 9mm would be preferred. Something that could serve as ccw as well as companion gun. It would need to handle boolits and adjustable sights would be a plus. She is impressed with the workmanship of Sigs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bouncer50
01-30-2015, 09:11 PM
I would take her to a large gun shop and have her go pick her own. Women can be funny about guns. See if she can pull back the slide and the trigger pull women have smaller hands. If you pick one for her and she decide she does not like it you get the blame. Some women also have trouble with recoil. Have her test fired it before she buys it. Sigs are great pistol. My exwife carry a PA- 63 in 9mm mak i let her pick it out.

Outpost75
01-30-2015, 09:32 PM
If she likes her LC9 get her another one! Redundancy in carry guns is good. Then there is no confusion learning another or changing platforms.

BruceB
01-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Another vote for a second LC9. I bought one some months ago, and it's been flawless.

It's small enough, flat enough. light enough.

It's heavy enough for recoil control. large enough for easy handling.

It DOES work well with cast bullets.

Mine came from the factory with a laser sight.... very effective.

I would certainly buy another if mine needed a companion of the same general type (although, I recently bought a Smith 442 snubbie .38, which is even smaller and lighter).

9.3X62AL
01-30-2015, 10:19 PM
If she's enamored with the SIG-Sauers, wants it for concealed carry and companion duty.......the P-229 is used by 80% of the Federales as their primary duty gun. Double-stack magazine, comes in 9mm/40 S&W/357 SIG. The P-239 is its single-stack counterpart, in the same calibers. Both come with fixed sights, rear is somewhat drift-adjustable for windage.

There are no flies on the idea of a second identical sidearm, either. I am leaning toward a P-239 in 40 as a smaller brother to my P-220 that is coming due for a refit.

Thumbcocker
01-31-2015, 02:00 PM
She fell in love with the 229. We made a good trade. Thanks for the input.

johnson1942
01-31-2015, 02:56 PM
the best one i found when i was researching for my petite daughter was a small beretta 9mm. reliable, easy to use and very well made. my baby girl is going to college for criminal justice to get a masters and be an investigator. she is small but she is tuff.

9.3X62AL
01-31-2015, 04:10 PM
She fell in love with the 229. We made a good trade. Thanks for the input.

Ha ha! I made the mistake of bringing home that model's predecessor (P-228) and announcing its arrival, and haven't seen much of it once Marie got hold of it. That occurred in 2003. She does let me clean it and reload for it. The 229 is an upgraded version, with forged one piece slide in place of the 228's folded slide with roll-pinned bolt assembly.

MtGun44
02-01-2015, 07:44 PM
938 Sig is a neat gun.

Bill

charlie b
02-04-2015, 01:48 PM
My SIL carries a Sig and loves it.

Like above, have her try out what she wants. Whatever fits her is what she gets :)

9.3X62AL
02-05-2015, 12:19 PM
938 Sig is a neat gun.

Bill

It is that, indeed. Love me a locked-breech 380 ACP, such a system really tames recoil for less-experienced shooters. Back in the day when I had the FFL, I sold a truckload of the Colt Government 380s when those were in print. THAT is a CCW piece that Colt should resurrect mui pronto, AFAIC.

pietro
02-05-2015, 12:29 PM

Generally, a small autoloader & adjustable sights are contra-indicated.

You might want to consider letting her pick whatever pistol, then have the sights altered.

Not that she'll like it, but I'm partial to the Kimber Solo 9mm:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/files/2010/09/hg_kimber_solo_a.jpg

Thumbcocker
02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Picked up the 229 last night. She can already strip it and has been dry firing. She will hit the range this weekend when the temps are up a little.

harley45
02-06-2015, 01:25 AM
If she ever wants something smaller have her check out the 938. I have one and it works well with cast. It's a very handy carry gun!

MtGun44
02-08-2015, 03:16 AM
Al,

You are thinking of the P238, which is the .380, basically a copy of the Colt Government/Mustang
.380. The P938 is the stretched version of this design in 9mm, similar to the VERY short lived
Pocket 9 from Colt (for about 12 months, and much lamented passing). It amazes me how
incredibly stupid the management at Colt has been. Two great designs and they 1) fumble
the quality just enough to irritate customers with problems and 2) just as concealed carry
is sweeping the nation and CC-sized handguns explode in the market place. . . . . they
drop them from production for a decade or more. Complete idiots.
So, SIG takes over, improves the quality just a touch and sells the heck out of them.

Now Colt has brought back a version with a plastic frame, which is OK by me, but will
drive away a certain segment of customers, and they were out of the market when
literally many millions of small handguns were being sold. Glad I don't have any of
their stock.

The locked breech is critical. A 22 oz PPK kicks a LOT more than a 15 oz P238
because the PPK is straight blowback.

Bill

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I already voted , got a second LC9 last week , a co-workers wife was upgrading to a LC9s-pro her's was hardly used maybe a few hundred rounds through it , got it for a fair price with a laser

I found the laser I don't like how it takes up room in under the trigger gaurd with my hands I need every 16th of an inch of grip I can get