PDA

View Full Version : Round, Square, or Rectangle Targets?

newton
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm fixing to make some dedicated cast boolit pistol targets(and small bore rifle) and am not sure what type is best, or if it even matters. They will be for 10-25 yard shooting and either 5" or 6" wide.

I had thought about round because that's what you see most, but then thought about taking square ones and hanging them on a diamond angle. Then I started seeing some more rectangle ones pop up in my search.

I know its all personal preference, but has anyone had or shot at all three types and like one over another for any particular reason? These will either be on shepherds hooks or built to swing back and up.

karlrudin
01-29-2015, 05:02 PM
you could be different, and make them down scaled silhouette shaped. this is the most normal target for hand gun shooting. 128958

newton
01-29-2015, 06:00 PM
I had thought of that. It would take more cutting though. But, it would not be as much cutting as circles would be.

Tom W.
01-29-2015, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing that these are metal targets? Square or rectangle would be the easiest to cut and weld.....

Silver Jack Hammer
01-29-2015, 06:58 PM
I had the local welding shop make me five (5) twelve (12") inch round targets with holes punched at the top to mount on stands. The stands were made out of rebar. They work great. I shoot rectangles mostly at matches. They all work. Just make sure you shoot lead only and your steel is rated for your round. Expect splatter so eye protection is a must.

newton
01-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Yes, metal. Think the best/easiest way is to get flat strap the width I decide on.

newton
01-29-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm thinking most will have holes for mounting on hooks, but may make some spinning targets. I just want them to move which will help absorb impact also.

I just didn't know if it's worth the extra effort for round targets. If they added some benefit somehow. Square vs rectangle is a toss up with me. But the square would look better as a diamond. Rectangle gives more surface area.

Guess there are ups and downs to them all.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
easy build stand 128971
just have a slight angle see how the chains make the target hang it will help with ricochet

johnson1942
01-30-2015, 06:55 PM
ill pass on what i can do my best groups with. at the local sell everything store i buy white poster board. cut them in half. then with the narrow black electrical tape i make a big cross on each one. i shoot for the center of the cross where they meet. can get better groups and see that spot better than any other type of target. im 72, mabe the younger guys and gals dont need this.

newton
01-30-2015, 08:57 PM
I just like to hear the steel ring. Came across some railroad ties traps. Very heavy, but nice. Just need to figure out the best way to put them up.

Shuz
02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
newton--I would not shoot at any steel targets at a distance of less than 40 yards. Personal experience as an IHMSA and NRA silhouette match director and competitor taught me that boolit back splash toward the shooter is dangerous at distances closer than 40 yards. That is why the Field Pistol discipline is now being shot at 40 yards for the closest targets instead of the previous 25 yards.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Steel is shot a 10 yards and in every Saturday and Sunday all across the country in SASS matches. Eye protection is mandatory and lead boolits must have a muzzle velocity of under 1,000 fps. Action Targets have a presentation on steel targets which is worth watching. There is a lot to their research and finds. We get splattered with lead all the time, Action Target says steel bites back but it is harmless as long as you wear eye protection and shoot lead. I've attended a shooting class shooting at very close range with steel targets, this guy kept his steel polished smooth, greased, positioned stationary and slightly angled away from us and I did not get splattered with any lead from 5 yards. In SASS we don't do any maintenance on our steel targets like this man does. In SASS the steel is hung from the top so it swings which puts most of the lead into the dirt. That's how I position my steel targets, hung from the top. The impact of the lead in the dirt is obvious to the eye after a shooting session.

Newton, why don't you make some paper targets and see what you like before you have the steel cut?

Petrol & Powder
02-01-2015, 11:46 AM
I like that stand! brilliant! No welding required, readily available components and easy to repair if needed.

Artful
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Unless your getting AR500 expect some damage sometime
You can buy them premade pretty cheap
https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020|1023
https://www.wideners.com/images/fulls/FULLSTP38MP.jpg

I'd check local metal shops see if they have them premade and check out scrap prices.

newton
02-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I tried out the tie plates this weekend. They work wonderfully. The rectangle shape of them seem to be fine. I guess there is really no need to cut them into different shapes.

Every boolit that hit them was pulverized with small flattened pieces of lead found right under the target. I honestly cannot see how a lead boolit would be able to make a turn on the targets and come back. I could see jacketed rounds doing it, but these plates will be for lead only.

Shuz
02-02-2015, 07:35 PM
newton--Many of the mild steel targets some folks use, get dimples on the surface from many hits. I believe that these may be the cause of the occasional boolit coming back to the firing line. I have no explanation on how my hard steel targets sometimes send boolit fragments back to the firing line, but it does happen. Last summer I had one fragment draw blood when it hit my hand. I ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting to protect my eyes from boolit ricochets, as well as case ruptures, revolvers spitting lead, etc.

Artful
02-03-2015, 02:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNQB5wPnJrI

Artful
02-03-2015, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi241x5ZLSc

Artful
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyfmNvmL_U

newton
02-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Very interesting. One thing I can see that's common across the board there is the distance to target. The closest I have stood to a target is 10 yards. Most of my shooting is done at 20 yards. I do need to get my tie plates on a hanger though, so they can swing. I think the key to ANY target is its ability to absorb the boolits energy. I think that's why heavy steel, even if its not AR500, works so well. There is no give to it. It does not allow a spring back type action, of any kind, to the boolit.

I think that's why things shot at water can ricochet so easily. Liquid cannot be compressed and it springs back. Of course, if the bullet hits the water at enough of an angle it cuts into it and the water absorbs the energy.

Bigslug
02-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Do a quick study of your various handguns. Come up with an average of how much target the front sights cover at 25 yards, and make your targets that wide. If the shooter sees the side of the target in the rear sight notch, he'll know he's not exactly "on".

newton
02-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Do a quick study of your various handguns. Come up with an average of how much target the front sights cover at 25 yards, and make your targets that wide. If the shooter sees the side of the target in the rear sight notch, he'll know he's not exactly "on".

Interesting. I had not thought of that before. My front sight covers about 3". 3" would seem a little narrow though, but I do see how it would work.

This is one thing I have found about the rectangle targets. I really thought that round would be better, but now using the tie plates I find I like rectangle.

Love Life
02-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I have a mild steel Ivan at the house that is bowed in the center from being hit many times with the RCBS 115 9mm bullet.