PDA

View Full Version : Ransom Rest inserts for Ruger Single Seven

Gus Youmans
01-29-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't shoot well off sand bags anymore and want to test my Single Seven using my Ransom Rest but Ransom only makes grip inserts for the Blackhawk. Does anyone know if the Blackhawk and Single Seven have the same grip size? Even better, has anyone had experience with the Ransom Rest and a Single Seven, Single Ten, or Single Six?

Ransom has blank grip inserts but I would prefer to use stock inserts if available.

Gus Youmans

Tatume
01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
I've carved the blank inserts and it wasn't very hard to do. But first, call them. They have been very helpful to me in the past. If they don't have an insert, they can probably recommend one that is close and can be modified with little effort, which I have done also. A little nip here, a little cut there, and it works.

DuaneH
01-29-2015, 08:24 PM
I have used the Blackhawk inserts on a Single-Six. It fit fine, the only hiccup was the short S-S hammer hit the top of the inserts before reaching full cock. I just carved a shallow recess for it to clear.

Gus Youmans
01-29-2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called Ransom last week and the nice lady did not know if the Blackhawk inserts would fit any of the smaller caliber single actions. I will order a set of the Blackhawk inserts and if the only modification is as DuaneH indicated, I will take pictures and send them to Ransom so they can advise future callers.

Gus Youmans

ejcrist
05-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called Ransom last week and the nice lady did not know if the Blackhawk inserts would fit any of the smaller caliber single actions. I will order a set of the Blackhawk inserts and if the only modification is as DuaneH indicated, I will take pictures and send them to Ransom so they can advise future callers.

Gus Youmans

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the Blackhawk inserts fit the Single Six/Single Seven. Anyone know?

contender1
05-23-2017, 09:32 PM
The Single-Sixes,, Single-Sevens etc all use the same grip frame as the Blackhawks. As noted above,,, there MAY be a difference in hammer clearance due to the smaller main frame.

Gus Youmans
05-23-2017, 10:27 PM
ejcrist,

I purchased a set of Ransom inserts for use with my Single Seven but never got around to using them. Your question piqued my curiosity so tried the Blackhawk inserts with both a Single Seven and a Single Ten and both fit. However, like DuaneH indicates, you will have to remove material behind the hammer in order to be able to cock the gun.

Gus Yumans

ejcrist
05-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Ok, got it. I emailed the lady (Julie) at Ransom International late this afternoon and she answered that the BH inserts are the correct ones for the SS just like you guys are saying. That's extra good on my end because I have a couple of BH's too so these will kill two birds with one stone. Now I have to save my pennies to get inserts for K frame, SBH, Bisley BH, etc., etc.. I really want to go back and re-visit my old load work-ups using the Ransom and see if some of the different powders that were really close accuracy-wise were in fact the best. I had several loads where groups using 2400 and H-110 were pretty much tied but one or the other had a better average group size of 1/16" at 25 yards so I ended up going with that particular powder. With the Ransom I can re-test these loads out to 50 yards and hopefully see the difference more clearly. I tried doing that using sandbags but my eyes get really tired using open sights at that range after a couple of strings so I didn't do it regularly. Also I was planning on testing 5 different powders that should be within a certain velocity range for my first session coming up with the FA 32 H&R and I planned on conducting another session with 5 different powders the following week, but with the Ransom I don't see any reason why I can't test all 10 in one session. After I narrow down the best 2-3 I'll bracket the charges within the velocity range I want and select the powder that performs the best. This Ransom rest is like a dream come true for load development - can't wait to get started.

Thanks gents for getting back to me - much appreciated!