PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 Jamming.

KLR
01-28-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm having trouble with my Winchester 94 jamming occasionally. It will feed the nose of the bullet into the chamber but then the rim of the cartridge fails to ride up the slots in the cartridge guides. Instead, the cartridge rim slides past the slot and then jams under the cartridge guides. It only does this occasionally and I can't see any pattern to the jams. It's happened with a variety of different bullet weights from the big flat nose Ranch Dog 165 to a 110 jacketed round nose. I can't get it to jam when I work the action slowly and can't see anything wrong with the cartridge guides. Any ideas? I know it's a lever gun and I should "work it like I mean it." I'm getting a full stroke because the cartridge lifter is lifting the bullet up and the bullet enters the chamber just fine.
Thanks.

starnbar
01-28-2015, 08:01 PM
It may be the carrier for awhile Winchester made some out of stamped steel and it only takes a little twist in that carrier to start messing up. The other thing is it might just be finicky on what it wants to feed.

OverMax
01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
What year was your rifle made sir? Some of those post 64s as said had a bad deal going when it came to their (flimsy tinny like) stamped carrier's.

Boogieman
01-28-2015, 08:51 PM
If your Mdl. 1894 has a stamped steel lifter you can replace it with investment cast one from a later one. Winchester went back to what they called a machined steel lifter after a few years. It must be for a post 64 gun . I made this change on my wife's gun .solved the problem. It fit in with just a little filing to remove the casting lines

KLR
01-28-2015, 09:07 PM
My serial number is 6,415,xxx. From what I can find online it was made in the mid 90s. The carrier does not look to be stamped.