PDA

View Full Version : sticky patch lube problem- need advice

franklin!
01-28-2015, 12:06 PM
I have a "parts gun" cap lock .54 cal. muzzleloader with a Thompson lock and Green Mtn. barrel, and it shoots very satisfactorily with patched round balls, for which it was designed. After 2013 muzzleloader season, I left a couple of speed loaders with patched balls in them. When I took them out for the 2014 season, the patch lube, Natural Lube 1000 plus, had dried to the point I could barely force them out of the loader. I have a quantity of these patches lubed and ready to use, stored in a zip-lock bag, and these are also getting too dry. Could I squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil on these to soften them up? The patches are ticking, cut into appropriately sized squares. I could, I suppose, warm the batch in the microwave to see if the lube softens before I add something to thin the lube, or perhaps someone has a thought or another solution. Perhaps I should switch to another lube altogether if I'm going to store lubed patches, or simply lube small quantities before use. Replies appreciated!

dondiego
01-28-2015, 12:35 PM
You could probably add a pinch more of the Natural 1000 and microwave until melted and work it back into the patches. Never done it myself.

mooman76
01-28-2015, 05:09 PM
You might try a little olive oil. Allot of people use that mixed with bees wax and/or other ingredients for patch lube. Warm carefully in the micro like you said first.

rfd
01-28-2015, 06:23 PM
this is why i don't like ml loading blocks. i'd salvage the balls, ditch the patches. if the lead was "patina'd" i'd ditch that too, right into the casting pot.

ps - you wanna put lead into a microwave?

509thsfs
01-28-2015, 07:14 PM
I also store my extra patches that are prelubed with Natural 1000/TC Bore Butter. If they get a little on the dry side over time, I just smear a little more bore butter on them to "freshen" them up. As for the ones in my load block or speed loader tubes, I just put new balls and patches in if needed. For me, since I cast all my own balls, I toss the old balls in my pure lead bucket for recasting. I have just rubbed to old lube off with a rag too. Over all, no big deal.

triggerhappy243
01-28-2015, 07:19 PM
I would try "steaming" them first.... With plain water. The old fashioned way. Boiling water letting the steam rise thru a colander.

fouronesix
01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Exactly how many patches are we talking about? :)

I think I would either shoot them up after a hunting season or use them for bore cleaning.

franklin!
01-29-2015, 11:47 AM
No, no, no lead in the microwave. Even I have some standards! What I meant to convey was heating the supply of pre-lubed patches again to soften the lube on them.
I have a sizable supply of pre-lubed patches - probably over 100 or so. The reason I have so many patches cut and stored is my wife is a seamstress and tailor. She has the "pizza cutter" cloth cutting device and the board, marked in measured grids, to go with it. No quicker way, if you can tolerate the idea of a square, not round, patch. Hereinafter, I won't leave a patched, lubed ball in the quick starter at the end of the season. Just didn't occur to me they would dry out and bond to the quick loader. Natural Lube apparently turns to Natural Glue when left to dry out on a pre-lubed patch. How "natural" is that?

mooman76
01-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Naturally things dry out. Just don't lube so many in advance. I'm sure you figured that out already though.