PDA

View Full Version : A Softer Alloy

JohnH
09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Some time ago, Bass Ackward recommended to me that I try a softer alloy than I was using, especially as the fresh cast bullets seemed to group better than either ACWW or water dropped WW. Last week I figured "What the heck, I didn't stand anything to lose...."

Made a small batch of 20:1, which I currently suspect is not but much softer, unless my WW is harder than I think....more on that in a moment. I have/had some 200 pounds of pure lead, and about 30 pounds ingots marked 6/4. These came from an old friend, and I think they are from a radiator shop. In any case, I mixed 3 pounds of this to 21 pounds of the pure lead (ingots of lead are 7 pounds, ingots of the 6/4 are 6 pounds, both are same size)

Been shooting this everyday for the last week, and the groups are much more consistant that with the ACWW or the WDWW. Still have the first shot flier, but it is only 1" or so away from the main group, not 2" or sometimes more. And best yet, it the load/alloy has shown no tendancy to produce awful groups with no reason, even mixing in bent bullets in the shot string.

That's right.... bent bullets. Couple years ago when I got my 450 sizer, I only got one nose punch. Don't recall the number, but it is simply a large flat. Worked well with WW and 44, 45, 458, even 358 bullets with a wide meplat. The RCBS 35-200 don't have a big meplat, and a few bullets want to cock on entering the die, even though I seat the gas check square by hand, pressing it against the edge of my bench.

So, I've got the right nose punch on the way, but two questions have entered my thinking, one, could the fliers I have seen in past be a result of bent bullets??? I had not noticed this with WW, and I currently have no bullets of the 35-200 cast from WW to test the idea. Second, just how hard are my WW bullets? Of the two batches I had made of this bullet from WW, I had not observed this, but it was quite obvious to me uisng the tin alloyed lead.

I'm working with Buckshot on one of his hardness testers, and hope to be able to answer some of these questions soon, as there really is only one way. Years ago when I first started casting a fellow who had shot lots of Bullseye compition told me my alloy was too hard. I ignored this, as it was not the information one found in the current publications of the day. Perhaps Len knew more than I thought, I bet he did. Sometimes we console ourselves with the idea that we learned something even if it did take half a life time.

powderburnerr
09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
It has been my experiance that lead tin will bump up better to seal the bore from gas cutting than will WW even when they come close on the brinnel scale I believe it to be the antimony in the WW that resists the bump up effect ,and I also think if you size larger with WW you can also stop the cutting................. Dean

LAH
09-28-2005, 08:10 AM
It has been my experiance that lead tin will bump up better to seal the bore from gas cutting than will WW even when they come close on the brinnel scale I believe it to be the antimony in the WW that resists the bump up effect ,and I also think if you size larger with WW you can also stop the cutting................. Dean

Haven't proven this to fact, but I tend to agree with you.

Char-Gar
09-28-2005, 09:14 AM
John...All of this depends on what you are shooting the bullets in and what the pressure is and how fast it is applied to the base of the bullet.

I get the feeling you are talking about sixgun bullets as you made reference to a freind that shot Bullseye. I have been on a rant for years against the popular notion of super hard bullets in sixguns.

I broke the code many years ago, when I cast some WCs out of Linotype and fired them over the traditional charge of 2.7 BE and found my K-38 leaded to beat the band and bullets all over the target.

The old binary lead/tin alloys worked for generations of sixgun shooters. We have gone to WW because of cost. The same can be said for the increased use of antimony in the alloy. I would shoot nothing but binary alloys in all my sixguns were it not for the cost factor.

Rifles work by difference rules. Some are the same, but some are different.

Cherokee
09-28-2005, 11:40 AM
I am using ACWW+2% Tin in all my handguns, even near max, and do not have a leading problem if they are over the traditional size. It took me many years to move from the "hard is best" school to the "soft is best" school. Barrels that would lead with hard bullets do not with the soft ones. I also use ACWW+2% in 30/30 without any leading, but I do stop about 1900-2000 fps level there.

felix
09-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Leading caused by hard boolits can be almost traced to not having enough tin for either the total boolit fit OR its speed at the muzzle. If the accuracy is fine for the first 5 shots or so, and then goes south for the remaining shots, then adding tin might be of help assuming there is plenty of antimony in the boolit's composition. The amount of tin should be roughly equal, but not exceeding, the amount of antimony. Therefore, the so-called 90-5-5 Lyman mix is by default the best alloy across the board for what might be called an "average" application. Shooting upwards of 2400 fps begins to go beyond the term average, so other boolit compositions MIGHT prove better in these circumstances. ... felix

David R
09-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I read in I think the 46th Lyman manual that too much tin can cause leading. I don't know, but The way I understand it now, wheel weights have 4% antimony, so 4% tin SHOULD be enough. I was using 9 lbs wheel weights and 1 lb 50/50 but am trying to cut the tin in half. It worked once with 311466. Only 5 or 10 didn't fill out, but I am not sure if lack of tin was the culprit. Still, 10 out of 750 is worth the savings in solder.

David