PDA

View Full Version : 375 ruger

wgr
01-27-2015, 11:02 PM
any of you guys shoot this one. what weight boolit

wlc
01-27-2015, 11:11 PM
I've got its big brother the 416, but not the 375. I do have a friend with one. He only shoots factory stuff unless something has changed so I can't ask him for you. It's the devil on moose and black bears though. Sorry for not being any help.

TXGunNut
01-27-2015, 11:47 PM
No, but I've seen quite a few lightly used examples on used gun racks. Probably not for the faint of heart (or the weak of frame). Does look like an interesting cartridge and rifle. How's the brass situation?

wgr
01-28-2015, 01:01 AM
No, but I've seen quite a few lightly used examples on used gun racks. Probably not for the faint of heart (or the weak of frame). Does look like an interesting cartridge and rifle. How's the brass situation?
i dont have the rifle a buddy does. just trying tho find out some info for him. dont know about the brass but a lgs says about 2bucks apeice for loaded ammo

wlc
01-28-2015, 03:56 AM
My 416 costs nearly $80 for Hornady 400 grain factory loads at a LGS:veryconfu. That's why I started casting for it. In your buddies 375 I would say any cast bullet suitable and popular in the H&H would be the place to start.

dakota
01-31-2015, 10:23 AM
I've seen two being sold, seller claims 3 to 5 rounds shot - like new.:-P

And yet, I want one. I'd probably only shoot 300 grain cast bullets in it though. (getting old)

snowwolfe
01-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Own one, like it, and just bought a mold for it and will start casting at some point when my jacketed supply is low. Great round and brass is easy to find. Just one thing, and that is to make sure the cases are lubed good before resizing because they can be difficult to resize.
Like any big bore they kick hard and most people who buy them are not familiar with how much recoil they actually generate so that is why you see so many on the used racks.
Before moving out of Alaska almost 2 years ago I would see more Rugers at the range than H&H's so it is here to stay and becoming more popular all the time. One of its biggest pluses is you can find them for reasonable prices.
Best buy going if you are a lefty and looking for a CRF 375. CDNN had them on sale recently for $599.

Throwback
02-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Love it. I did add some weight to mine by inletting a channel in the fore end and drilling three holes in the butt to pour some lead into. I also added a Pachmayr pad that made a big difference. Factory loads once I made these adjustments were manageble. Before...well recoil was epic, especially when you realize it is essentially a .30'06-weight gun in stock trim. Cast is a treat.

This is a link to my (Larry Gibson's H&H-derived) loads and results in an earlier post. I never did have to do any load development. I just got about 50 fps less velocity owing to the larger case volume.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?85914-375-Ruger-Results

High Desert Hunter
03-30-2015, 12:50 AM
Love mine, it is the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, black laminate stock and a 23" barrel. I have 300 rounds of brass, around 800 jacketed bullets, and a mold that drops a 350gr FNGC bullet, loaded over Unique, it is scary accurate at 50 yards and fun to shoot for trigger time. The recoil is a little sporty, but about the same as my 300 Win Mag in the skeletonized zytel stock. I have shot mine out to 525 yards using the Sierra 300gr JSP, would like to try some 300gr Accubonds some day. Mine is extremely accurate with RL 17 and Ramshot Big Game.

smoked turkey
03-30-2015, 11:49 PM
I have a 375 H&H and have taken whitetail as well as three or four different large plains game animals in South Africa with it. I say that to say that I am familiar with the 375 "ouch and ouch". When I shot my son's 375 Ruger I was expecting a milder punch than I get from the H&H. Not so. The 375 Ruger does not give anything up to the H&H. The round is here to stay I think and it is a great round that will do anything the H&H will do. Frankly I like it. A lot of people say the shorter action is a plus for the 375 Ruger over the H&H's longer action. This is not a factor to me. However I think the Ruger package is a good one and I personally like the walnut stocked one better than the synthetic version.

dougader
04-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I saw a lightly used model a few weeks ago, and thought it would make a great cast bullet rifle. The factory equivalent loads are not for me.

High Desert Hunter
04-04-2015, 11:40 PM
350Gr Cast FNGC over 15 grains of Unique at 50 yards, inexpensive trigger time.

warboar_21
04-06-2015, 08:37 PM
350Gr Cast FNGC over 15 grains of Unique at 50 yards, inexpensive trigger time.

You have probably already said it but what is the bullet mold you have? I just picked up a left handed African 375 Ruger from CDNN. I was able to find some 235 Speer and 270gr remington round nose. They are pretty accurate so far. I only loaded up 10 rounds of each and shot them. Recoil is nowhere near what I was expecting. Maybe it's because I shot two rounds of Hevi Shot 3.5" Magnum Blend Turkey loads. Those things put a pounding on my shoulder.
Bad thing is is the fact that I have to pattern it again because the choke I have does not like the load. I need to also pick up a Limbsaver for the Mossberg 835 as well. Darn factory pad is hard rubber and has very little give to it.

High Desert Hunter
04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-350R-D.png

This is the mold I am using, only thing I don't like is the length, I can't push them very hard or they keyhole, not sure if it's due to the amount of bullet in the powder chamber or just my alloy.

warboar_21
04-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Now that's a big hunk of lead.