PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get rid of Lyman mould surface Rust?

Boosted98gsx
01-27-2015, 07:04 PM
I have a couple 2 cavity "leaded steel" Lyman moulds for my .45 colt. They have a bit of light surface oxidation in the cavities that I can't get to with a scotch brite pad.

Would a baking soda "sandblast" be ok? Would it be good enough to remove the rust?

Other than dessicant bags, how can I keep the moulds safe from rust, and not potentially contaminate my castings?

Gunor
01-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Evapo-rust

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Available at car parts - NAPA, Autozone and O'reilly's

My 2 cents....

Boosted98gsx
01-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks man.

Wayne Smith
01-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Just use them. The heat of casting a bunch of boolits is likely to descale them.

tmc-okc
01-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Right or wrong I store my moulds in a Zip Lok bag after cleaning and applying a light coat of Kroll oil.

Ron H

Outpost75
01-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Kroil and Barkeepers Friend on a soft hogs bristle brush will eemove any surface rust and leave patina behind. Preheat on hot plate and good to go. After use protect molds with Kroil!

9.3X62AL
01-28-2015, 01:28 AM
This is a regimen I will need to adopt after much of my life being spent in the desert or other low-humidity climates. I'm now four blocks from the surfline in Imperial Beach, and this salt air and high humidity I'm sure will EAT my iron and steel moulds if given the chance. Firearms likewise, and those got cleaned and oiled a while back. The moulds are still buried in boxes in the garage debris field, a mound I have summitted recently and began distributing the contents of in a semblance of order. Tomorrow's trip to Homie Depot should yield at least one shelf unit for the southwest wall, and if all proceeds per plan Super Bowl weekend might enable 1 or 2 of the 8' x 2' x 6' shelf units to form the garage area's centerline, where the cast bullet inventory will form the bottom tier thereof.

Cmm_3940
01-28-2015, 04:22 AM
Has anyone tried citric acid on molds? I've used it to remove rust from other small parts, but haven't tried it on molds.

Slightly off-topic, but where do you guys get your Kroil? It isn't sold in retail stores around here. Is there some sort of specialty store that sells it, or are you ordering it from Kano?

jeepyj
01-28-2015, 06:44 AM
I while back I had a mould that I couldn't get whatever was on it off resulting in some wrinkles that wasn't acceptable. I used citric acid on a toothbrush followed by soap with toothbrush then a nice warm water rinse. It is now my go to method and it seems to take care of that light surface rust. I also would like others opinion. The Kroll question. I asked all the auto parts stores in my area no luck so I added it to one of my Amazon orders.
jeepyj

Has anyone tried citric acid on molds? I've used it to remove rust from other small parts, but haven't tried it on molds.

Slightly off-topic, but where do you guys get your Kroil? It isn't sold in retail stores around here. Is there some sort of specialty store that sells it, or are you ordering it from Kano?

ipijohn
01-28-2015, 08:01 AM
I have a couple 2 cavity "leaded steel" Lyman moulds for my .45 colt. They have a bit of light surface oxidation in the cavities that I can't get to with a scotch brite pad.

Would a baking soda "sandblast" be ok? Would it be good enough to remove the rust?

Other than dessicant bags, how can I keep the moulds safe from rust, and not potentially contaminate my castings?

Baking soda blast will solve your problem. To keep it from happening again go to Lowes and get some PVC pipe and caps, cut to length and put molds in with dessicant bags. This set up will keep your molds rust free for years.

Wayne Smith
01-28-2015, 08:57 AM
I get Kroil directly from Kano - they have a special every once in a while.

bhn22
01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Kroil is often available from specialty stores that service the automotive repair trades. Around here, the gun stores carry it.

Personally, I use Eds Red for cleaning and storage.

country gent
01-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Also check the tool supply stores for kroil. Its used alot in tool rooms stamping rooms and machine shops. Mcmaster Carr, MSC, Graingers. Some Cabellas also carry it in pint containers. Brownells, sinclairs, midway, brunos, and other shooting supply shops also carry it.

Sgt Petro
02-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Just google "kroil" and order direct from the company. Well worth it.

WALLNUTT
02-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Where can I find dessicant bags and paper. I like the paper some parts are wrapped in.

duckey
02-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Get some Naval Jelly by Lock tite, I bought mine at Wally World. It will clean the surface rust off real nice. I also had a lyman mould that I didn't store correctly and it was covered in surface rust. The Naval Jelly cleaned it up very nicely. Use it outside as it will burn your nose hairs out! wash with warm water and then dry it off then put in oven to get all moisture off.

bhn22
02-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Ask for "VPI" paper. I keep my more expensive moulds in a clear Plano fishing lure box with a sheet of VPI paper over them. I didn't think it'd work, but so far, so good!

bhn22
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Small spots of surface rust can be chased away with a white typewriter eraser. If you have a really tight spot, try using a hard lead pencil point to clean it.