PDA

View Full Version : Primers containing mercury

garra
01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Not sure if this is the correct section, but the ammunition is for an Austrian Werndl rifle.

I have some date stamped 1887 ammunition, that is cast, paper patched. Can anyone advise if they contain mercury in the primer. I pulled the bullet on one of them, found a hard lump of something over the powder, not sure what it is, but it is hard.

I have heard that firing a cartridge with mercury primers makes the brass worthless for reloading.

thank you,

kokomokid
01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Any original paper patch ammo may have considerable collector value.

John Boy
01-27-2015, 04:13 PM
And yes are mercury primers.

Frank46
01-29-2015, 12:25 AM
When cartridges loaded with mercury in the primers, and after firing the mercury is driven into the brass. In time this makes the brass very brittle and as such useless for reloading. Your cartridges are probably worth more to a collector than just plain old shooting ammo. Frank

.22-10-45
01-29-2015, 12:58 AM
That "hard lump of something" over the powder is probably the dried out remains of a lubricating wad. The British used a cup shaped wad of pure beeswax as a scouring wad under the paper-patched bullet of the Martini-Henry ctg.

groovy mike
01-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Sounds far too valueanle to shoot up in my opinion.

salpal48
01-30-2015, 11:52 AM
I also shoot the werndl. Also use original cases with that date Era. you can buy Original ammo for about $2-3 each. It is Cheaper to use original Than buy New cases. I found in shooting the original Primers they are corrosive but . . but the cases will last Many , many years.. If you don't feel comfortable Just take them out. You will need berdan primer In 6.45 MM or .245 ". They are a little difficult to find . RWS still make them. sold by the 100.. Not cheap but available.. Remington and CIL made Non corrosive ammo if you can find Them. with standard LR primers
Not sure if this is the correct section, but the ammunition is for an Austrian Werndl rifle.

I have some date stamped 1887 ammunition, that is cast, paper patched. Can anyone advise if they contain mercury in the primer. I pulled the bullet on one of them, found a hard lump of something over the powder, not sure what it is, but it is hard.

I have heard that firing a cartridge with mercury primers makes the brass worthless for reloading.

thank you,

Ed in North Texas
02-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I could be "mis-remembering", but IIRC the problem with mercuric primers didn't show up until the switch to smokeless powder. Prior to smokeless I believe I read that the "solids" from the Black would absorb the mercury and prevent it from being absorbed by the brass.