PDA

View Full Version : BP Lube Question

Big Sarge
01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Is castor oil a acceptable substitution for jojoba oil in a black powder lube? The other ingredients are bees wax and buffalo tallow.

prs
01-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Yes. As is olive oil. Or peanut oil. I blend an oil of 2 parts peanut to one castor bean. I also cook in a couple percentage point of Castle Soap base to help stabilize the final mix. Ain't go no buffs here about, but white tail tallow works. So does Crisco.

prs

Big Sarge
01-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Any suggestions on keeping the lube from going rancid in the summer?

cajun shooter
01-28-2015, 01:00 PM
If you use the real 100% pure JoJoBa oil, then castor oil has nothing in common with it other than being an oil.
The pure JoJoBa oil that I use is expensive but that's for a reason. It has many other uses and is used in the makeup, and Pharmaceutical field. I buy it from a supply house for around $65 a gallon. It works great on the cuts and scrapes that I seem prone to get. I've used it for about 7 years now. Later Fairshake

.22-10-45
01-29-2015, 01:57 AM
I have been using castor oil in both smokeless and black powder lube concotions for years. I never used JoJoba oil..but I do know castor oil was used in early aircraft engines.

Maven
01-29-2015, 02:12 AM
Big Sarge, Take a look at this, especially the posts by Daryl and [the] Mad Monk: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34107.0

prs
01-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Any suggestions on keeping the lube from going rancid in the summer?

Shoot it up quicker! lol

Refrigeration or freezing are the only options I have found that allows long term storage of fat components. Salt is certainly not an option. Sodium stearate "might" give you a little time, but I would not count on it. Rancid lube might work just fine, if you can get past the stink.

prs

montana_charlie
01-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Which component (tallow or oil) is going rancid?

If it's the oil, I don't have any advice to offer.
If your tallow goes bad, it is probably not made right.

Those who seem to know say that good tallow doesn't ever go stinky.

CM

Lead Fred
01-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Ive had my on going tray of lube in my garage for years, all year roaund, and it have never smelled or gone rancid yet.

1lb bee's wax
1 lb lard
8oz cornola oil (black powder)
8oz STP (smokeless powder)

Springfield
01-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Lead Fred: Is that Corn oil or Canola oil?

country gent
01-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Rendering properly removes the impurities and helps with life of lube. Wrap fat in cheese cloth and cover in water ( I use a slow cooker for cooking down) cook for 8 hours or so and cool there will be a layer on top of water ( just like when you cook a roast and cool) This is the cooked rendered tallow, skim of and allow to dry on paper towels. Cheese cloth wrap holds most of the impurites also. I have wondered if a potato peeled and dropped in would help absorb the salts you dont want in the tallow.

Big Sarge
02-03-2015, 04:52 AM
It's the buffalo tallow that I'm worried about spoiling this summer. I'm in Mississippi and I've seen other folks' lubes go bad in summer. I've never had a problem using mutton tallow, but this time I have buffalo tallow.

We'll see how this works out.....

Big Sarge
02-03-2015, 04:59 AM
Big Sarge, Take a look at this, especially the posts by Daryl and [the] Mad Monk: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34107.0

Well, that has me worried about the castor oil forming a gummy residue. I'll rethink about using it.

cajun shooter
02-12-2015, 10:40 AM
I've had a chunk of Buffalo Tallow in my outdoor shop in Louisiana for many years. It gets over 110 degrees in the summer. The tallow has never went rancid. If the tallow is processed correctly it will not go bad. Now having said that, I was able to obtain some real nice processed sheep tallow from a well known meat wholesale business. I decided to store it in my freezer and have kept it there for several years. I pull it out and use it and it's the same as the day I received it. I also give my dog a treat on her food with it from time to time. Take care David