PDA

View Full Version : I need help on deciding which scope!

Jevyod
01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Was just looking at scopes, and was reading Chuck Hawkes article on
different scopes. I would like to keep my scope at under 1k if I can.
I was really looking hard at a Leupold vx-6. According to what I have
been reading, the vx-6 is as good as the Swarovski z5, with the z-5
running at 1,500, and the vx 6 running right at a grand. Also, the
Bushnell 6500 Elite is supposedly right on par with the vx-6 and is
usually a grand as well, but currently optics planet has them for 750.
So do you have any suggestions? Or would you go Swarovski simply
because it is a Swarovski?
A bit of info on the gun and application. First of all, it is going on the 358 Winchester that Tim is building for me. The gun is pretty much all out, with engraving, color case hardening, fancy checkering, etc. So it doesn't make sense to put a 200 dollar scope on a 3,000 plus rifle. I plan on using this as my primary hunting rifle, with a bit of paper punching as well. I probably will never shoot it beyond 300 yards.
I do have a wild card, which is the Sightron SII Big sky. I have heard nothing but good about that scope. And I am not opposed to spending 500 on a scope. It gives me that much more for molds, brass etc;)

danthman114
01-27-2015, 01:27 PM
cant go wrong with leupold. nightforce is top tier as is us optics, premier reticle, schmidt and bender, steiner, IOR, hensdoldt.

check out euro optics or swfa.com

also check out the g7 riflescopes. theyre just nightforce that come with custom turrets...

Ithaca Gunner
01-27-2015, 01:36 PM
I couldn't be happier than with my Shepherd 3.5-10X PS2.

Smoke4320
01-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Oh what a can of worms you have opened .. you are going to get recommendations on everything from Vipers to Swarovski z5..
Wiht that said I would stay away from Bushnell just because of there current warranty issues..
Leupold , Swarovski z5, even a Zeiss are top of the line any those companies will absolutely stand behind their products
If you have the Money buy the best and don't look back

Love Life
01-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Having owned and hunted with Leupold, Zeiss, and Swarovski scopes I would say pick your poison based off of budget and options within the budget. That being said, the Swarovski spanked the other two for lowlight performance. Truly spanked them.

A good scope is a lifetime investment.

NSB
01-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Oh what a can of worms you have opened .. you are going to get recommendations on everything from Vipers to Swarovski z5..
Wiht that said I would stay away from Bushnell just because of there current warranty issues..
Leupold , Swarovski z5, even a Zeiss are top of the line any those companies will absolutely stand behind their products
If you have the Money buy the best and don't look back
I bought a Bushnell Elite 6500 two years ago and couldn't use it due to cataract problems I was having at the time. I bought if from a place in California and I live in New York. Bushnell has a warranty where if you're not satisfied with their Elite scopes they will refund you total purchase price. Hard to believe since they don't control what you pay for it from a dealer. I called Bushnell and told them it was a great scope...it was. Super glass and great adjustments. Flawless. However, my eyes couldn't see the mi dots in a shaded area due to the cataracts. They told me to send it back under warranty. I did and they sent me a check for my total purchase price. I've never had a bad Bushnell scope. However, I don't buy the bottom level scopes they sell. They make something for everyone's budget and they should. Everyone can't pay $600-1000 for a scope. I don't know what more they could have done to satisfy me with that purchase. I took the money and bought a different scope with heavier cross hairs and had no problems. This year I got the cataracts taken care of too.....all's good now.

Rick Hodges
01-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Leupold. There is not other choice for me. Solid dependable scopes for many many years and the very best warranty in the business. ( I know but: Friend's Swarovski had ocular lens break free. The warranty took care of it...10 month turn around time.)

alrighty
01-27-2015, 04:36 PM
I haven't tried all the scopes in your list but I will offer my .02.I have used the newer Leupold's and I think they are a very nice scope and honestly would serve anyone well.I do have a Bushnell elite 3500 series with the firefly and it does well what I needed at the time , the 6500 I have no experience.
I picked up a Swarovski Z5 after reading many reviews about their low light gathering.I have to agree with LL , even with only a 42mm objective it absolutely spanks my Leupold's with their huge 56mm objective.I like the 4A reticule as well as anything I have tried.

Jevyod
01-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Another thing to consider is how it will compliment the looks of the gun. Yes I realize that most of the time it should be about function. But with this rifle, I think aesthetics come into play as well. One other scope I have been looking at is the Leica ER 2.5-10x42

ballistim
01-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Was just looking at scopes, and was reading Chuck Hawkes article on
different scopes. I would like to keep my scope at under 1k if I can.
I was really looking hard at a Leupold vx-6. According to what I have
been reading, the vx-6 is as good as the Swarovski z5, with the z-5
running at 1,500, and the vx 6 running right at a grand. Also, the
Bushnell 6500 Elite is supposedly right on par with the vx-6 and is
usually a grand as well, but currently optics planet has them for 750.
So do you have any suggestions? Or would you go Swarovski simply
because it is a Swarovski?
A bit of info on the gun and application. First of all, it is going on the 358 Winchester that Tim is building for me. The gun is pretty much all out, with engraving, color case hardening, fancy checkering, etc. So it doesn't make sense to put a 200 dollar scope on a 3,000 plus rifle. I plan on using this as my primary hunting rifle, with a bit of paper punching as well. I probably will never shoot it beyond 300 yards.
I do have a wild card, which is the Sightron SII Big sky. I have heard nothing but good about that scope. And I am not opposed to spending 500 on a scope. It gives me that much more for molds, brass etc;)

Sure hope pictures are going to be coming when you have the completed rifle in hand, .358 Winchester is my new favorite caliber since I bought a Ruger M77 tang safety in .358, sounds like a beautiful gun. I dream of someday rebarreling or reboring a Ruger #1 to .358, but that would have to be after I have either a #1 or #3 in .22 Hornet. :-)

Jevyod
01-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Sure hope pictures are going to be coming when you have the completed rifle in hand, .358 Winchester is my new favorite caliber since I bought a Ruger M77 tang safety in .358, sounds like a beautiful gun. I dream of someday rebarreling or reboring a Ruger #1 to .358, but that would have to be after I have either a #1 or #3 in .22 Hornet. :-)

Oh yes! In fact, I plan on posting some pics as the rifle is in the build stage, as Tim sends them to me!

Love Life
01-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Hmmm. I really like the classic lines of the Leupold Gold ring scopes with the nice deep/shiny blue-ish finish. The more rugged flat finishes on scopes today is rather unpleasing to the eye, but durable and non game scaring I guess.

I'd look for an older 2.5-8 for class and low profile.

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2015, 08:06 AM
I agree. I doubt that 358 is going to be a long barreled rifle or a long range shooter that needs a lot of magnification and more compact scope might fit the bill. Something like a vx3 2.5x8 would be about perfect in my book and in the last couple years leupold vx3s have been updated a couple times and the new ones compete with anything in there price range and beat most of them.
Another thing to consider is how it will compliment the looks of the gun. Yes I realize that most of the time it should be about function. But with this rifle, I think aesthetics come into play as well. One other scope I have been looking at is the Leica ER 2.5-10x42

dakotashooter2
01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Scopes are for guys that CAN'T get close...................;)

Clay M
01-28-2015, 11:19 AM
I have always had good luck with Leupold..I have used their scopes for over thirty years..
I even use their MK 4 scopes on my long range target rifles.I am sure Nightforce or US Optics are better scopes , but not enough to merit me spending twice the money. For my hunting rifles it is always Leupold.

reloader28
01-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Nightforce makes a good scope with a warranty.
BUT if you have a problem, it'll be a year before you get your scope back.

Jevyod
02-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Well I was at the Great Outdoor show yesterday, and came back with a scope ! I got the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36. I got it for 700 out the door, which made me smile!!:bigsmyl2:

Jevyod
02-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention; it has the #4 reticle. I have always wanted to try one out and now I get to!!

white eagle
02-12-2015, 09:34 AM
it has been said that you should spend more on the optics for your rifle than the cost of the rifle however you are spending quite a bit already
for me I decide what my main use of the rifle and intended type of game and decide accordingly
you wouldn't want a high magnification varmint scope on a big game rifle

dakota
03-19-2015, 05:59 PM
I bought a rifle on a web site with a Leupold scope. The scope was beat up. Someone may have taken a air wrench to the adjustments. The screws were twisted. It was ugly. I sent it in to Leupold. I received a note about a week later telling me when to expect it. It came here today. No, wait it didn't come here, a brand new scope in a later vintage than the one I sent in came today. I sent in an older VXii 2x7 the one that came back was a VX2 2-7x33mm. In a new box with lense covers etc. AM I HAPPY??!!??:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:

PULSARNC
03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Take a look at the Meopta and Kahles scopes .Unbelievable optics .

BD
03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about Leupold scopes. I own 5 of them, and have had unbelievable service from them. When my 20 year old VX-3 3.5-10 went belly up, a new one came in the mail, with CDS knobs to my individual ballistics. But, unless your hunting ground squirrels at 400 yards, I'm thinking a 2-7 VX3 would be the better fit. I only wish they made a 2-7 with AO and CDS. To my mind that would be the perfect big game scope.