PDA

View Full Version : New Single Seven a real dog

JDHasty
01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
I picked up the revolver back on the 13th of November and have not been able to shoot it until now because of lack of availability of ammunition and/or components.

Immediately upon receiving it I noticed that the trigger was most definitely not comparable in quality of operational feel to my other Ruger revolver triggers. The engagement was noticeably longer and there was a lot of “start and stop” to the pull. I dry fired it quite a bit and some of the start and stop has seemed to go away, but it is still not anything near as good in that regard as the triggers on my other Rugers.

The length of the sear engagement is something to behold. As it is, we were out of breath before getting an aimed offhand shot off and had to stop and take a breath and start over. This is a unique experience for us.

When I shot the revolver I was being hit on the left side of my face with powder and copper. In forty years of shooting revolvers I have never experienced anything like this before.

Accuracy is absolutely terrible; from a rest we could not keep seven shots within the six ring of a B-3 at twenty-five yards. The same range session I was shooting eight, nine and ten ring (like sub 3”) groups offhand with my other revolvers. Single-six, Redhawk & SSM.

Half way through our range session I also noticed that the base pin was escaping and moving forward almost every shot. I fiddled around with the plunger to try get it to stay in place, but it never did. I would check it before every shot and it would be an inch or more forward after I had fired the revolver.

The ammo being shot was Federal American Eagle factory ammo and Hornaday 100 grain XTPs over H110.

When we tried resting the frame of the revolver on my front rifle rest, the spitting was so bad that it was taking pits out of the metal on my rest and tore up my leather bag. So we just put the rest away and used a carpet covered 4x6 wood block for the rest of the shooting from a rest.

When I got home we were looking it over and also noticed that the ejector shroud was about to fall off the gun. We also noticed that there is significant cutting to the top strap of the frame window.

These 32 caliber “single six” revolvers have a tight loading gate opening and our SSM loads a bit better than this Single Seven, I am not sure that there is any “problem” though on that front. It works well enough.

It seems that this revolver “slipped through” and got out without having been subject to thorough quality control. I have a half dozen other Ruger revolvers and am confident that these problems can and will be taken care of but it is a bit frustrating.

As for the 32 revolver, the last few years we have been shooting blacktail does with a SSM with max hand loads using the 100 grain XTP and it does a good job on them. Double lung hits are an absolute must though. I bought the Single Seven because it should give a bit more energy and do an even better job on that front.

wdr2
01-27-2015, 03:10 PM
My new 7.5in Single Seven has none of these issues. I have fired 300 rounds of my hand loads with Miha's 115gr HP GC over a full load of 296. Groups at 25 yards are routinely 1in. No problems with the base pin, no lead spitting, hits to point of aim. As with all new Ruger single actions, a trigger job is needed. As delivered, mine has about a 4.5lb pull with noticeable creep. Off to the gunsmith soon. Very nice revolver, a new favorite.

I suggest you call Ruger. They will fix any issues you have. Stick with it, these are very useful and fun revolvers.

nagantguy
01-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Return trip.to Ruger is in that pistols future! Some times one slipped through but I've never hador beard of a problem Ruger won't standby and fix.

JDHasty
01-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Yea, I used to run a large gun shop about 25 years ago and Ruger was always great to deal with back than and I hear they still are. I am not all that concerned that it will be a great revolver once it is gone over.

rintinglen
01-28-2015, 06:41 AM
I have two: one 7.5 inch and a 5.5 inch. The shorter barreled gun was a problem--I had to open the loading port to get the gun to load and unload properly and it ended up going back to the factory to take care of the center pin problem.
However, both of mine are shooters. I shot the first sub one inch group at 25 yards that I have managed in over 15 years Sunday with the 7.5 inch gun. The 5.5 does nearly as well. I am a bit surprised at the OP's problems in that regard. However, upon reflection, and given the other evidences of poor QC by Ruger in making these, it should come as no great shock. I doubt that this model makes it into Ruger's regular production list. A large proportion seem to be going back.

Thundarstick
01-28-2015, 07:45 AM
I have both the 5.5 and 7.5. They are both excellent in every aspect of fit and finish and plenty accurate!

Guesser
01-28-2015, 09:34 AM
My 5.5" went back to get the loading gate spring changed out. Good gun, shoots as well as any of my other three 327 revolvers. Eventually it will be the best, just needs to be used, it's only had about 300 rounds thru it. The others are over 4000 each.

Green Frog
01-28-2015, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=rintinglen;311144... I doubt that this model makes it into Ruger's regular production list. A large proportion seem to be going back.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be a sad but true commentary on some potentially desirable guns. Factory does a half@$$ed job of making a few of some desired model, then quickly discontinues it blaming "production difficulties" and lack of customer support. The only answer is to get what you want when it's available, modify it extensively to suit your wants/needs, then hold onto it! I guess I got lucky on my BH 8-shooter in 327, I got a good one while they were trying to discontinue it! You know what they say about blind hogs and acorns! ;)

Froggie

sandman228
01-28-2015, 12:25 PM
sorry to hear about your problems with your single seven . ive got a 7.5 inch model and really like it ,ive been a fan of the 327 mag since I bought my gp100 4 or 5 years ago . I usually run a tumble lubed 90 gr swc bullet through mine and its pretty accurate. the only trouble I have with mine is the cylinder has a sweet spot for loading and unloading and it has to be 100% on that sweet spot to load or get empties out . I hope ruger takes care of you .

JSH
01-28-2015, 02:52 PM
My 7.5 needs to go back as the base pin jumps. However the 5.5 is a tack driver and a fair trigger for a factory gun. The 5.5 shows a lot of promise as of now.

9.3X62AL
01-28-2015, 03:32 PM
I had high hopes for this Ruger model variant. Perhaps the 327 Federal should have been left in its Blackhawk and GP-100 platforms and given a few more barrel length options instead of getting shrunk a second time and meeting problems, as in the case of the SP-101. The 327 Federal is a great caliber being given short shrift by gunmakers building whatzis platforms. VERY GLAD to have my S&W Model 16-4 x 6" (hint, hint, Springfield).

JDHasty
01-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Honest to God guys, I am not all that concerned about Ruger making it right. I am just frustrated about it having so many issues.

I used to run the retail hunting/shooting counter at SPORTCO in Fife WA, about twenty five years ago, and back in the early 90s it was Smith & Wessons that always had to go back. IIRC, I never had to send a revolver back to any one of the big three a second time.

I used to actually wonder if almost 100% of the Smiths shipped were screwed up because it seemed that every one I sold to someone I knew was a serious shooter had to go back before it was usable.

I don't have a 32 caliber mould yet, but intend to order one up from LBT, unless someone has a better suggestion.

ejcrist
01-28-2015, 11:32 PM
I had high hopes for this Ruger model variant. Perhaps the 327 Federal should have been left in its Blackhawk and GP-100 platforms and given a few more barrel length options instead of getting shrunk a second time and meeting problems, as in the case of the SP-101. The 327 Federal is a great caliber being given short shrift by gunmakers building whatzis platforms. VERY GLAD to have my S&W Model 16-4 x 6" (hint, hint, Springfield).

9.3 - I agree with your assessment 110%. I'm far more interested in the BH version and kick myself for not getting one when they were available. The Single 7's cylinder is just too short for my liking. I know Accurate Molds makes a 105 grain boolit to fit the Single 7 but I'd prefer to shoot the one boolit I currently cast, which is too long for the Single 7. I wish they kept the BH version around.

prsman23
01-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Honest to God guys, I am not all that concerned about Ruger making it right. I am just frustrated about it having so many issues.

I used to run the retail hunting/shooting counter at SPORTCO in Fife WA, about twenty five years ago, and back in the early 90s it was Smith & Wessons that always had to go back. IIRC, I never had to send a revolver back to any one of the big three a second time.

I used to actually wonder if almost 100% of the Smiths shipped were screwed up because it seemed that every one I sold to someone I knew was a serious shooter had to go back before it was usable.

I don't have a 32 caliber mould yet, but intend to order one up from LBT, unless someone has a better suggestion.

I feel Ya. I hope ruger takes care of my "issue". I had a barrel split on me 4 rounds in.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/4a50c33a01845897da8c8dc69ec78e9f.jpg

I had a bad Ruger month though. Had to send back my new charger due to rust on the bolt, a terrible finish on the receiver and an unfinished stock. Still. I believe they will make it right. I don't know if it's just bad luck or Rugers QC is really slipping that badly. I suspect I just drew the short stick.

JDHasty
01-28-2015, 11:49 PM
We have been using a SSM in 32 H&R or a 32-20 single shot pistol on blacktail does for a couple of years now and are happy with the results when using the 100 gr XTP. This Single Seven was attractive to me because of it's horsepower to size & weight ratio.

JDHasty
01-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Ain't that something? Must have been an inclusion in the barrel steel.

rintinglen
01-29-2015, 03:07 AM
Well, I had a BH in 327, but sold it. It was, and IMO is, too heavy for the caliber. The Single Seven is just about Ideal for the caliber, but I wish they had been content to make a 327 version of the SSM, ie, a 6-shot. I am of the opinion that many of the issues that have arisen with this gun were the result of slap-dash engineering in adding that 7th shot.
Still and all, I like mine very much and am really enjoying them. I am going to take a chance on calling in a coyote with the 7.5 incher weekend after this. I strongly recommend that anyone interested buy one now, I don't think they'll be many more 327's made. I think you'll benefit from having waited until nearly the end of the production run, as Ruger will likely have the kinks worked out right about the time they close the books on this model.
I hope we see a 6 shot SP 101 similar to the .357 and 22 models. But I am not holding my breath.

A pause for the COZ
01-29-2015, 03:16 AM
Mine will go back, Only having a slight loading gate issue. Trigger is good but will have them look at it any way.
Mine shoots great so no issues there.
Never going to let mine go. Took to long to get one. Its a lifer.

9.3X62AL
01-29-2015, 03:58 PM
There is a 2-part reason why I haven't and likely won't opt for any model in 327 Federal--

1) Ownership of S&W Model 16-4 in 32 H&R Mag

2) " " Ruger Blackhawk in 30 U.S. Carbine

I'm pretty much "covered" as far as high-velocity mid-caliber revolvers go, and the bottom-feeder side of things gets handled by a C-96 Mauser--a Chi-Com Type 54 Tokarev--and a CZ-52. Oh, and a Colt New Pocket from 1904 in 32 SWL, 6" original nickel with magic disappearing sights, too.

Jeff Michel
01-29-2015, 05:14 PM
This probably heresy, but I bought a 4 5/8 and a 5 1/2 with no intention of shooting .327 out of them. I have the BlackHawk and a GP 100 in .327 and outside of a raccoon and a horse, I've never fired a .327 round at anything. I never got a chance at the SSM Ruger when they were available and now they are out of sight price wise. That having been said, my pistols have went through about 500 rounds of .32 mag without a hitch, fine accuracy and I'm extremely pleased with my Single Sevens. I have been a Ruger supporter for 40 years but there does seem to be an inordinate amount of complaints about this newest offering. Perhaps we just see more based on where we congregate. I am a firm believer in Ruger's ability to make things "right" with it's customers. I have had dealings in the past and they always went way out of their way to make me satisfied.

9.3X62AL
01-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Ruger's customer service and customer relations have always been first-rate, that's not even a question for me. I just don't "get" the mania for adding cartridge capacity to a design that has been successful since 1836 offering 5 or 6 charge holes. Ruger is far from alone in this regard. S&W does the same nonsense with their 7-shot L-frame and 8-shot N-frame 357s. GIVE IT A REST--the 6 shooters work fine for the purposes revolvers are intended for. But the STUPIDEST ideation of this mental illness involves 10-shot cylinders in swing-out revolvers. Have any of these design wonks ever fired a swing-out 22 LR with high velocity ammo? They get GRUNGY in about 5-6 cylinders-full, and extraction of fired cases gets very balky. I can only imagine the fun had after 5-6 cylinders-full of 10 rounds, without resorting to chamber brushing about every other fill-up.

W.R.Buchanan
01-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Good article in the current Handloader Mag about these guns. The one thing I noted is that the .327 Fed is running at twice the pressure as the .327 H&R, That may account for some early teething problems.

As stated above I'm sure they'll make it right.

Randy

JDHasty
01-31-2015, 12:59 AM
Good article in the current Handloader Mag about these guns. The one thing I noted is that the .327 Fed is running at twice the pressure as the .327 H&R, That may account for some early teething problems.

As stated above I'm sure they'll make it right.

Randy

Yes it is.

As I stated above we have flattened a few blacktail does with our SSM. The horsepower to weight & size ratio of this one made me bite. Full loads w/H110 & 100 gr XTPs just fall out of the cylinder, so that is a good sign. Those are already way above our already stiff loads that are just a bit off sticking in the chamber of the SSM.

This little beastie is going to be just what the doctor ordered when it is straightened out. I am going to caution anyone who is thinking the same thing though, you better be double lunging or heart shooting deer because there is NO blood to trail from a 30 cal entrance wound. You absolutely have to bang flop them.

Don't shoot a deer that is not relaxed and never take a shot at a running deer or that that is pumped up already.

The 100 gr XTP does a great job shredding the lungs though and that is a good thing. We shot all the 32 jacketed bullets we could get our hands on a few years ago into milk jugs and none of the others stayed together worth a ****.

Still hunting you can get within archery distance to does, but not trophy bucks. We get a second antlerless tag and shoot from tree stands at big bucks with a crossbow or an Ithaca Deerslayer II using Lightfields and that is good medicine for them, I just don't trust the 32 revolvers on trophy class bucks. It is really nice to sneak around in the western Washington jungle like mess we hunt in with a little revolver instead of a long gun and a crossbow is simply a fool's errand.

We hunt an island and it is firearm restricted, but with the Deerslayers I wouldn't use a rifle any way. Even with a double lung hit big bucks will run fifty yards and in this brush and rain you need all the blood you can get.

lbaize3
01-31-2015, 06:55 PM
I have a 7.5 inch Single Seven, the 8 shot Blackhawk in .327 and the Buckeye special in 32-20 and 32 H&R Mag. None will be sold, nor do they currently need a trip back to Ruger or to a gunsmith. From the other posts I have read, I count myself lucky on the Single Seven.

I have been shooting 32 H&R out of the Single Seven. 115 grain SWC at .313 with 3.5 grains of Red Dot makes an accurate and hard hitting medium load. I have been shooting .312 Ranier rn bullets, pushed by 13 grains of H110 in starline 327 brass. That is a hard hitting load... but I need to shoot at a longer range than 15 yards before I can report on accuracy.

I did not enjoy my first trip to the range with the Single Seven because the grips fit poorly and the sharp edges were rough on these old hands. I ordered a set of weathered bonded ivory grips from Altmont. The grips fit perfectly and make that pistol look fine. The second trip to the range was a joy because of the hand filling grips and I got used to the loading and reloading that required very precise movements of the cylinder.

Needless to say the 8 shot Blackhawk handles my 115 grain gas checked boolits with a max load of Accurate #9 and a max H110 load. The Buckeye special shoots extremely hot 32 H&R loads and nice medium 32-20 loads.

I have to say that I am just as happy as a pig in mud. (Lets make that a big ole boar in mud...)

376Steyr
01-31-2015, 07:39 PM
I bought a 7 1/2 inch model today, with some Federal American Eagle ammo. As others have noted, you have to line up the cylinder juuust right to load and eject. I'm only going to use it for range work and small game, so slow ejecting and reloading isn't a factor, unless I'm attacked by a pack of eight or more badgers, in which case it just wasn't my day. I'm going to my shooting spot early tomorrow, while the mud is still frozen, and try it out.

ejcrist
02-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Ruger's customer service and customer relations have always been first-rate, that's not even a question for me. I just don't "get" the mania for adding cartridge capacity to a design that has been successful since 1836 offering 5 or 6 charge holes. Ruger is far from alone in this regard. S&W does the same nonsense with their 7-shot L-frame and 8-shot N-frame 357s. GIVE IT A REST--the 6 shooters work fine for the purposes revolvers are intended for. But the STUPIDEST ideation of this mental illness involves 10-shot cylinders in swing-out revolvers. Have any of these design wonks ever fired a swing-out 22 LR with high velocity ammo? They get GRUNGY in about 5-6 cylinders-full, and extraction of fired cases gets very balky. I can only imagine the fun had after 5-6 cylinders-full of 10 rounds, without resorting to chamber brushing about every other fill-up.

My thoughts exactly. I always figured if I wanted high capacity I'd go with a semi-auto rather than a revolver. I prefer six myself.

FLHTC
02-01-2015, 07:53 PM
I have a 7.5 inch Single Seven, the 8 shot Blackhawk in .327 and the Buckeye special in 32-20 and 32 H&R Mag. None will be sold, nor do they currently need a trip back to Ruger or to a gunsmith. From the other posts I have read, I count myself lucky on the Single Seven.

I have been shooting 32 H&R out of the Single Seven. 115 grain SWC at .313 with 3.5 grains of Red Dot makes an accurate and hard hitting medium load. I have been shooting .312 Ranier rn bullets, pushed by 13 grains of H110 in starline 327 brass. That is a hard hitting load... but I need to shoot at a longer range than 15 yards before I can report on accuracy.

I did not enjoy my first trip to the range with the Single Seven because the grips fit poorly and the sharp edges were rough on these old hands. I ordered a set of weathered bonded ivory grips from Altmont. The grips fit perfectly and make that pistol look fine. The second trip to the range was a joy because of the hand filling grips and I got used to the loading and reloading that required very precise movements of the cylinder.

Needless to say the 8 shot Blackhawk handles my 115 grain gas checked boolits with a max load of Accurate #9 and a max H110 load. The Buckeye special shoots extremely hot 32 H&R loads and nice medium 32-20 loads.

I have to say that I am just as happy as a pig in mud. (Lets make that a big ole boar in mud...)

See if your 327 cylinder fits nicely in your Buckeye. It gives you less to carry and have all three rounds at hand. [smilie=2:

Thundarstick
02-02-2015, 07:42 AM
My take on this is that the Internet makes a few bad specimens seem like Ruger (insert manufacturer) only turn out piles of hot smoking excrement! I bought 4 Ruger firearms last year and they have all been fantastic, and 2 are Single Sevens that are great! I have 7 different 327 revolvers and they are all good accurate firearms, but 2 are not Rugers. I would love to see someone make a rifle that shoots the 327!

prsman23
02-04-2015, 02:37 PM
My take on this is that the Internet makes a few bad specimens seem like Ruger (insert manufacturer) only turn out piles of hot smoking excrement! I bought 4 Ruger firearms last year and they have all been fantastic, and 2 are Single Sevens that are great! I have 7 different 327 revolvers and they are all good accurate firearms, but 2 are not Rugers. I would love to see someone make a rifle that shoots the 327!

I agree with all of what you said there. Nowadays everything spreads like wildfire. Plus more people like to complain than praise. It's a natural tendency. I take most reviews with a grain of salt.

JDHasty
02-13-2015, 05:45 PM
My take on this is that the Internet makes a few bad specimens seem like Ruger (insert manufacturer) only turn out piles of hot smoking excrement!

I guess you found us out. We coughed up a stack of Benjamins just so we could go on the internet and proclaim that Ruger is only turning out hot smoking piles... Kind of a variation on Munchhausen's By Proxy I guess.

FYI, Ruger DOES turn out firearms that I would be embarrassed to own, but I know that just by looking at them and don't need to purchase them to find that out - but on the other hand Ruger also produces some very quality firearms.

I believe that you will see that people posting have expressed that opinion as well as their high degree of satisfaction with Ruger's customer service way up at the top of this thread, if you care to look, and repeated throughout.

I have not come on here to criticize Ruger for producing or offering to the public "firearms that I would be embarrassed to own," to each his own and it is not my business to be arbiter of good taste. On the other hand, I and others have been put through a MAJOR inconvenience due to Ruger's negligence in shipping so many of these Single Sevens out that are defective, and not only defective, seriously flawed.

By the way, the revolver is back. I got an email letting me know it has been delivered. I am going to be loading 22-250 tonight for a range session tomorrow and if time permits I will load up some 327 and take it along with me to the range.

Update: Came back w/repaired barrel throat, base pin latch and housing screw hole Replaced: cylinder & pawl and trigger action "smoothed up." The revolver now has a very nice trigger IMHO, not quite what a Smith would be proud of, but a very nice trigger indeed. The target included documented a near 1" group w/Federal American Eagle 100 grain load. And I did manage to put together 40 rounds w/100 grain XTP over 13.2 grains of H110