PDA

View Full Version : Info on Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams 94 Winchester

glockky
01-27-2015, 12:20 PM
I was at the local gun shop today and of course I had to check out the lever guns. They had a Sears and Roebucks that looked just like a 94 winchester in 30-30 with Ted Williams written on the barrel. The rifle had great looking wood on it and some slight surface rust on the receiver that I am pretty sure could be taken care of with some bronze wool and oil.

I am only 29 so I am not real familiar with the Sears and Roebucks rifles. Were these rifles actually made by winchester?
What twist barrels did they have?
What is one worth? They had $250 on it but I am sure I could probably get it out the door for $200.
Thanks for the help

Remiel
01-27-2015, 01:02 PM
they were made for sears by Winchester, the have different or lesser quality wood but are the same thing as the win 94 if you can get it for 200.00 and it has a good bore, I would do it

Maven
01-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Slightly OT, but I purchased a NIB Ted Williams/Sears 12a. pump action shotgun years ago. The box it came in was from Winchester and for a Model 1300 I think.

Reg
01-27-2015, 03:38 PM
By any other name it's just a 94 Winchester. Some of the later ones had cheaper wood on them but it doesn't sound like this one is one of those. If it's in good shape and you want a 94 and you think you can get it for 200 it sounds like a great deal to me.

pietro
01-27-2015, 03:40 PM
a Sears and Roebucks that looked just like a 94 winchester in 30-30 with Ted Williams written on the barrel.

The rifle had slight surface rust on the receiver that I am pretty sure could be taken care of with some bronze wool and oil.

That Ted Williams gun is what's generally described as a "House Brand" gun.

Many chain stores (Sears, Western Auto, & others) would order whatever gun from one or more of the large firearm makers, with the guns made/branded to the chain store's specs.

That levergun was made thus by Winchester, with a different forend furniture treatment and stock wood, sometime between 1964 until 1973, when Sears stopped selling firearms - making it a "post-64" Winchester 94.

Don't even think of doing anything to the receiver to abate the freckling/rust, because those receivers were not the pre-64 forged steel receivers - and cannot be refinished like most other rifle's metal.

The reason is that those receivers were formed in a process called sintering, then plated to receive many different finishes (Silver, pewter, gold, case colors, & black chrome, etc).

IOW, what appears to be normal bluing on the receivers only looks like bluing, but is instead a coating.

They are, however, excellent shooters / using guns - just like any other Winchester 94.

$250 is a good price, $200 better yet.

wallenba
01-27-2015, 03:44 PM
I have both the 100 and a Winchester. Biggest apparent difference is the length of the magazine tube. Essentially, the same rifle.

GoodOlBoy
01-27-2015, 04:12 PM
The Ted Williams model 100 is a model 94, and yes it was made by winchester. I got mine for a song. $200 to $250 it a good price these days IMHO. Don't try to tighten it up, all 94s rattle, even that one. Just load and shoot it with good standard loads and you should always be happy with what it is, and what it is is a good quality 30-30 brush gun. With Remington green and gold standard old core-lokt ammo mine will shoot a clover leaf at 75 yards with iron sights if my eyes are good that day and I do my part.... if not.... well there ya go... :p

Don't forget to post pictures if you get it!

GoodOlBoy

glockky
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Don't even think of doing anything to the receiver to abate the freckling/rust, because those receivers were not the pre-64 forged steel receivers - and cannot be refinished like most other rifle's metal.

So I dont want to even lightly use bronze wool on the receiver? Rust on a gun drives me crazy.

richhodg66
01-27-2015, 06:50 PM
I'd jump on one for 200 bucks. But then again, I can generally find room for another .30-30 always.

bouncer50
01-27-2015, 08:27 PM
I have a Sears 30/30 to. Yep same gun as a Winchester, Mine has a nice fiqure walnut stock. I paid a 120.00 a few years back. 200.00 would be a fair price for one.

pietro
01-27-2015, 08:55 PM
So I dont want to even lightly use bronze wool on the receiver ?

Rust on a gun drives me crazy.

I would treat the receiver freckling to some Kroil, then oil it down & shoot the snot out of it.

OR

Do whatever keeps you sane, then DuraCoat (Brownell's) the receiver.

RickinTN
01-27-2015, 10:10 PM
I would start off on the receiver with a good Kroil soaking the then a stiff bristled tooth brush to try to remove the rust. I would try not to use anything on it that would scratch or sand the finish.
Rick

sandman228
01-28-2015, 01:35 PM
I would jump on it for the 200 /250 range . I know Winchester made guns for sears back in the day, a buddy of min had a sears robuck 12 gauge a while back that was pretty much identical to a Winchester I had other than small difference in the wood . marlin also made guns for sears ive got a sears model 45 in 35 Remington that's obviously a marlin 336, I picked it up from a local classified for 175$. using marlin serial number guide I found out the gun was made in 1964 .

Sig556r
01-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Got me a TW100 (Win'94-in-disguise) with a side scope & a nice leather sling for $250 OTD.
Nice woodstock finish & decent bluing for her age.
Shoot lights out inside 100yds with 150s & 175s CBs out of RD NOE molds.
Definitely a keeper.