PDA

View Full Version : roll Crimping for Lee one ounce slugs. Is it worth it?

texvet45
01-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Howdy;

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been loading 1 ounce Lee key drive slug using a fold crimp and I am still looking for the right load that shoots well in my shotguns. With that is mind, how many here have tried roll crimping and did that help?
Thanks.

Faret
01-26-2015, 02:04 PM
I think it depends on the barrel. My riffled barrel has a smooth taper so I can trim the hulls shorterand roll crimp. But on my choke barrels there is a step that rips the wad petals apart so I fold crimp for those. Best just to try and test!

bstone5
01-27-2015, 01:06 AM
I timed some 2 3/4 cases and rolled crimped using the clear cap from BPI.

The Lee slugs were powder coated and sized in a die I made.

They were nice to look at but did not find any improvement.

It worked but took too much time, went back to the fold crimp. I fold crimp and then roll crimp a little to keep the crimp tight.

too many things
02-02-2015, 09:11 PM
cut your crimp and case down to just about 1/4in above the seated slug. heat BEE wax and run a small bead around top edge of the slug. no need for a crimp. You need the bee wax as it don't get hard when cold and will stick to the hull. you also have a lube too

Blood Trail
02-10-2015, 03:46 PM
I roll crimp mine. I can't get a star crimp with my Mec Jr using tapered hulls.

Hogtamer
02-10-2015, 04:44 PM
You can with the right wad.

Garyshome
02-18-2015, 08:54 PM
I use a roll crimp with the slugs, no worries about hull length.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-19-2015, 12:00 PM
The beeswax idea sounds good, but if you use a roll crimp, I wouldn't have a wad over the slug unless it is really flat. A round fronted slug can roll the wad under, and bulge the barrel if it is substantial.