PDA

View Full Version : Generic milspec ar15 accuracy?

dualsport
01-26-2015, 01:02 PM
I don't play with my ar's much but am thinking of a coyote safari in Nevada using j words. My two are; a basic A2 type, DSC 9" twist barrel and a M4 clone type, same barrel but shorter. The carbine is a flat top, the A2 is attached carry handle. What's about average for accuracy assuming good ammo? Where can I make best improvement for least money? Maybe I should just ask what kind of accuracy do you get with a plain jane ar? EDIT: I asked before I searched! This is a popular topic. I'm seeing reports of around 1.5MOA for average plain janes.

Hickok
01-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Yes 1.5 moa is not hard to do with a good AR with a quality made scope and good mounting system.

I have a Bushmaster with a heavy 20" varmiter barrel, free floating forearm, and a Leupold AR mildot scope that will shoot .5"-.75" groups with good reloads. The Sierra and Nosler bullets are a toss up as to which group the best in my rifle.

I think a good drop in trigger/new springs is the best quick and easy to improvement with an AR system.

Love Life
01-26-2015, 01:46 PM
What accuracy do your rifles currently get? Which part of Nevada do you plan on hunting in?

Motor
01-26-2015, 02:31 PM
1.5 MOA Is very possible. Our "parts gun" has a 20" PSA flat top upper with standard hand gaurd. It's a 1.5 MOA with hand loads. It's 1in7 twist with a chrome lined barrel too.

dualsport, Why would you want a carbine length? Personally I'd go with a 20" barrel for the little extra velocity. If you intend to use a scope as your primary sighting system you do not want a A2 with perminate carry handle. Yes the carry handle mounted scope can be accurate but getting a decent cheek weld with the scope that high is difficult.

Also, if your primary sighting will be with the scope. Try to get a flat top that does NOT have a standard front sight. The sight ends up in the middle of the scope.

Yes a trigger upgrade goes a very long way too. It's hard to beat the Rock River National Match or the copies of it and you can usually find them for around $100 if you do your shopping.

Motor

Jupiter7
01-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Least expensive accuracy upgrade?

I recommend a free floated handguard as a major improvement in possible accuracy and repeatable results. 10" would be minimum in my book. I prefer 15" even on a 16" barrel.

Second, a trigger upgrade, your choice. You get what you pay for here, Geissele leads the way but over $200 easy. For a mild improvement, ALG offers an "improved" mil-spec trigger for $45+/-. In the middle, CMC offer a really nice single stage that breaks and resets like a custom 1911, it is my favorite and what I use on my match and hunting AR's. If shooting non military primers, JP custom sells reduced springs for under $20.

Third, barrel replacement. Not cheap, requires tools. Might as well do 1&2 while you're at it.

4th and most important. Serious load development with chrono and tested at distance. This is the ONLY way to be sure of bullet path at ranges past 200yds.

Its not hard to get them to shoot. I've never had one that shot worse than 1.5moa with m193. I've got a few that are a tad better than .5moa. I've taken a few dogs down around the 400yd+ mark with standard 16" barreled AR with 1-4x scope with my hand loads. If you put the work in, you'll get results assuming the rifles are in good order.

dualsport
01-27-2015, 02:35 PM
I haven't really got down and seriously bench rested my two ar's. I'll fix that this week.See where I'm really at to begin with. I don't get side tracked often using j word bullets but will this time. I owe it to the varmints to kill 'em good and quick. I've seen too many utube videos where a guy wounds a 'yote and it flops all over. Some fellas even seem to like it. I like bang flop. Anyway, plenty good advice here, thanks. I'm looking at NE Nevada right now but that can change. Hiway 50 is always a trip. EDIT: I want to know more about the 'ALG' improved milspec trigger.