PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my RCBS Summit Press.

hornetman
01-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Last fall I bought a red-white and blue Summit(#209) and have been very pleased with it. However, I'd only loaded two or three calibers with it. Yesterday I decided to load some 220 Swifts and much to my chagrin I discovered the shell holder would not fit in the slot. I then tried all of the 27 RCBS shell holders I have and 13 of them would not fit. All of them slid easily into the ram on an old Rockchucker mounted nearby. All of the ones that did fit the Summit were very, very snug. The ones that wouldn't go miked only a couple of thousandths larger. Have any of you other Summit owners had this problem? I'm going to call RCBS and see if they will send me a new post that the shell holders fit into. Before I call I'd appreciate input from any of you.
Some of the shell holders I've had since about '65 and some are only a few years old. There's no pattern as to age and "being oversize. I'm inclined to think that I have a bad post on the press.

country gent
01-25-2015, 07:27 PM
My summit is all green and I use it alot Havent had an issue with shell holders not fitting yet. (some of my things dont work due to overhead linkage like my co ax). Maybe ink up a shell holder that dosnt fit and see where its tight at. Ink will be rubbed off where its bearing tight.

bbqncigars
01-25-2015, 09:00 PM
You should not have to modify your gear to get this press to work. Give RCBS customer service a call.

Guesser
01-25-2015, 10:07 PM
I bought an RCBS adapter for a Herters press last year, it is too tight for some of my RCBS shell holders. Maybe RCBS QC has caved under the production/marketing pressure along the same lines as most other shooting equipment manufacturers has in the last 4-5 years.
Lots of reference to Lyman, Lee and even Dillon not being as good as before; RCBS, too?

HGS
01-25-2015, 10:32 PM
I have been using a pair of Green summits and have had no shellholder problems. Did go out and try a bunch that I have not used before just to make sure they fit.

Great pair of Presses, so far they have been giving my Rock chuckers a break.

HGS

runfiverun
01-26-2015, 12:54 AM
now I gotta go look at all mine too.
the couple I have tried so far have slid right in though.

daboone
01-26-2015, 08:54 AM
I just tried out 12 different RCBS and 11 Lee shell holders in my RWB Summit with no problems.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a manufacturing variance due to cutting tool wear. If the ram isn't chromed, I'd just take a single cut file and hit a few strokes on either side until it accepts all the shell holders. It isn't off by much it sounds like. While I'm positive RCBS will address the problem, a few strokes with a file is much, much quicker a resolution.

r1kk1
01-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a manufacturing variance due to cutting tool wear. If the ram isn't chromed, I'd just take a single cut file and hit a few strokes on either side until it accepts all the shell holders. It isn't off by much it sounds like. While I'm positive RCBS will address the problem, a few strokes with a file is much, much quicker a resolution.

Dave wrong press. The shellholder sits on a post, while the 2" ram sits behind. Think

With the shellholders I brought, they fit well, got a booger in the post?
take care

r1kk1

mdi
01-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Well, IMO, I might call RCBS for help, but prolly not. The presses in question are assembled from mass produced metal parts. The shell holders are prolly produced on an automatic machine by the tens of thousands. So, I wouldn't be surprised if a press is made with a shell holder slot on the small side, and a few shell holders got through with a near top tolerance diameter. "Stacking Tolerances" happens. Being a lifelong machinist/mechanic I'd just use a small, fine file to enlarge the shell holder mounting slot a few thousandths...

gwpercle
01-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Check the shell holder slot/groove for burr , tight spot etc. I would use needle file , abrasive paper, and smooth the slot out just enough for all the shell holders to slip in.
I had to do this on a Lyman All American Turret. Some would not go in, a combination of polishing both the groove (Lyman A-A has a hole) and shell holder outer diameter got all of them fitted.
This is going to be a lot easier than dealing with a company and trying to get shell holders exchanged.
Gary

hornetman
01-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the input. Checked the slot for burrs and found none. I pulled the spring clip off thinking that might be the culprit. No change. The problem seems to be that the slot is slightly less tall on the left side-as if somehow it had a blow to compress the slot on that side. No damage to the blueing so it must have happened before finishing. I intend to do some judicious filing on the top side of the right-most part of the slot. However, I also intend to call RCBS and ask for a new part. On the rare occasions I've had to call RCBS in the past they have been great to deal with- I'll let you know what happens this time.

hornetman
01-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Filed on it until I got tired. Now all but four shell holders fit. These are for seldom loaded calibers, so I decided to leave it for the time being. The good news is that I called RCBS-was on hold for about five minutes. New part is on the way with no hassle. Too bad all companies aren't as responsive to customer problems as the reloading companies are.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-27-2015, 12:42 AM
I had a new ram sent to me by RCBS for my RC. It too had issues with the left side of the shell holder slot being out of spec and not allowing some shellholders to enter the ram. Just like you, I did a bit of filing and they all fit now. Not a huge issue but kind of frustrating. Glad RCBS is taking care of it.

shoot-n-lead
01-27-2015, 01:04 AM
I wish they would send me 2 new hand priming tools...as the last 2 that I bought are really junk and they really cannot be fixed...seem to have a hard time conveying it to RCBS.