PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Source of Lead

BRBullets
09-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Just got back into casting after an absence of 15 years. Where can I get lead at reasonable prices rather then going to a foundry?

Bret4207
09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Unless you're talking pure lead, then it's pretty much wheel weights or nuthin'.

MtnGunner
09-27-2005, 10:30 PM
I just picked up well over 1,100 pounds of wheel weights from a local tire store for the grand total of three 12 packs of soft drinks (about $9).

Frank46
09-28-2005, 12:07 AM
pure lead can usually be found in the local junkyards. Was in one last week and one guy had a load of very thick sheathing in the back of his pickup. If you get cable sheathing cut off the shiny ends. Thats where the soldered joints are. Wheelweights, try local tire shops. I usually pay them by the bucket $10-15 and get a bucket each time. I weht and asked the boss how much does he charge and he said see the tire guy. So its a safe bet the tire guy gets the money. Frank

Willbird
09-28-2005, 06:45 AM
I say tire weights, I have a regular little route setup, I leave buckets with my name and phone number on them, they call when they are full, that is good for 100-200 lbs a month average, one place just called for the third time this summer, each time was good for 200+ with that place. The first stop there I got 800 lbs they had laying around.

Your local Ford and Chevy garage will generate 100lbs a year for a podunk town.

Get your wife to call the chain tire stores and ask, they GIVE them to women that call, men they tell "that all goes thru corperate"

You can also find an indoor range nearby maybe, they can generate easily 400 lbs a month in the summer and upwards of 1500 a month in the winter.

pay enough to keep them happy, I pay the regulars more, and the "drive by's" where I won't go back there I try to lowball if I can. They reallyseem to like having it picked up as opposed to having to drive it to the scrapyard.

I have yet to find a spot that I took away from another guy, some of them were serviced by a guy that used it to make shot, but he moved away.

I really started on this venture about a year ago and I have probably 2000lbs of WW squirreled away so far, plus I have used 200-300 lbs to cast bullets.

Bill

Piglead
09-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I go to the range & reclaim old bullets & then add a little 50/50 soldier to my mis to harden em up a tad ! I do'nt know if you can do that over your side of the Pond ? Some one told me that it had been made illegal for you to do this ! Where as over here you get thanked for doing it !

Dave

7br
09-28-2005, 07:00 AM
For pure lead, talk to your dentist. I pick up 10-15lbs every six months in xray packaging. Since I use it for muzzleloader and shotgun slugs, I really don't go through a lot.

Slick Pilot
09-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Piglead,

If picking up lead at a range - or anywhere else that you have permission - is illegal, then I'm unaware of it. And I would also be guilty!