PDA

View Full Version : Black and Silver

quickshot
02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey guys! I will be acquiring a 45-70 handi or buff classic (haven't made up my mind yet) and will be loading it with black powder. Would ACWW be to hard of an alloy for this endeavor or do I need to find some pure? This will be my first venture into the world of black powder. What do I need to know about loading black and the oldie 45-70? And also do you guys have any good plinking loads for the 45-70? Please educate me.

montana_charlie
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
This will be my first venture into the world of black powder. What do I need to know about loading black and the oldie 45-70?
What you still need to learn depends on how many books you have already read on the subject. If you haven't done any reading, your question is kinda like a guy who says he just bought the Challenger shuttle on eBay...and now wants somebody to explain 'space travel'.

BPCR is not rocket science, but it does demand research if you plan to get serious.

Here is a link to one of the books...
http://www.the45-70book.com/B3/books_Reloading_Collectors_Info_The_Book_3rd_Editi on_by_Spence_Pat_Wolf.html
CM

Kraschenbirn
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
For a rifle as light in weight as the Handi, I'd initially stick to something along the lines of the old "carbine" loads which was a 405 RNFP over 55 gr. FFG. Develops around 1170 fps (+/-) from my reproduction Trapdoor carbine (20" barrel) and prints 2" (or better) 100-yd groups without beating me to death.

Been several good threads here on BP loading for the 45-70. Just run a search for "45-70 black powder loads" and you'll find pages and pages of good info.

Bill

easy ed
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Here's a web site that should that may help you. Good luck.

http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm

Don McDowell
02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes aircooled wheelweights will work fine for alloy.
Nothing terrible hard about loading bp. You'll need a good bp bullet lube, for your bullets, and .030 fiber wads to go over the powder. www.sageoutfitters.com , can sell you those.
Best to never let there be airspace between the powder and the base of the bullet. 65grs of 2f with most bullets is a good place to start.

NickSS
02-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I use the 55 gr carbine load in my handy rifle and it shoots just fine. The army used to load the carbine loads with either wads or a cardboard tube to take up the extra space but so that I can keep the same overall length I just add about .5cc of cornmeal over the powder and under the wad before seating the bullet. Makes a more pleasant round for the light carbine than a full power load does.