PDA

View Full Version : The more ya shoot em, the better they shoot!

Ithaca Gunner
01-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Aside from routine cleaning and making sure the screws remain snug, I haven't done a thing with my new RWS 34 .22 besides shoot it almost everyday. It just keeps getting better and better! I don't weigh or mic my pellets, and do get an occasional flyer, but it's shooting on average, 15shot, 1/2" groups at 25yds. (scope on 5X). It's very satisfying looking down range at the trap and seeing these 1/2" ragged holes with the naked eye. RWS Super Domes shoot 1/2" groups with a bit more consistency than the Crosman HP's, but cost twice as much, so I'm doing most of my shooting with the Crosman HP's I get at wally world.

I realized I was wasting good lead by shooting into a backstop, so I welded a trap together, it'll take a .38 Spl. easily so .22 pellets are no problem. The shooting opening is 10X12" with four nails welded to the face to press a piece of card board over the opening then targets get fixed on the cardboard. I'll see if I can get pictures of the trap posted later. (made of scrap steel I found lying around)

RayinNH
01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Ithaca Gunner, I share your enthusiasm for the RWS .22. I just purchased one at the beginning of December. I shoot in the shop and can get about 40 feet of range. It works, it's heated. My gun has a dislike for wadcutters so far. I've tried three and get fliers consistantly. The RWS Superdomes have been very accurate but the H&N Excite Hammers have been their equal and at two thirds the price. They are a domed pellet weighing 14.66 grains. Pyramid has them for $5.99/250. I'd like to try JSB pellets in various weights, all domed. I went to Wally World today looking for the domed Premiers, all they had were the hollowpoints. I passed.

I also have a Beeman S-10 in .177. I alternate days shooting them. I can shoot about 75 shots from the RWS and then my elbow starts to bother me some. The Beeman is an easier cocking gun but those little pellets are harder to handle.

Do you have trouble seating the Crosman's in your RWS? I have a hard time with the Premiers in my .177 Beeman. They are very tight. I'm hoping they're not a problem in the .22.

Ithaca Gunner
01-25-2015, 11:29 PM
Some of the Crosman HP's I get at wally world fit snug, while most almost dropin. I'm starting to get in the habit of setting them with a retractable ball point pen, tip retracted of course. The Crosman Premier HP, 500 CT is all wally world has in .22, I've tried the Gamo variety pack and those all shoot poorly to say the least.

HARRYMPOPE
01-26-2015, 01:10 AM
I shoot mostly the wally world Crosman 22hp and .177hp tins. I can live with a few wide shots now and then. My Walther LGV is one gun that about one holes the JSB 8.44's so it feed that one expensive ammo($9.5 per tin). The Crosmans only shot about 3/4".

Ithaca Gunner
01-26-2015, 01:16 AM
For the price, the Crosman HP pellets are very good. Like Harry, I can live with a few fliers at that price. I should mention the I don't include the occasional flyer in my groups.

Ithaca Gunner
01-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Here's the pellet trap I built out of scrap laying around. It'll probably take a .38Spl. but it was just made for pellets. I started with a length of 2" heavy wall tubing, welded a 1/4" plate to it on an angle for the back-stop and the rest is 1/8" scrap I found laying around. The inside is fully welded, the outside is just spot welded, 4 nails welded to the front so a card board backer can easily be pushed on and targets fixed to the card board. Finally the outside is coated with "Flex Seal" (as seen on t.v!) For anything heavier than pellets, I'll fill the bottom with sand to cushion things, the .22 pellets don't escape without it.

The first spinner target is simply round stock heated and bent at a 90, loose fitting nuts slipped on with 1/8" plate welded on to the nuts, the other 90 angle heated and bent in a vice, and welds applied to the round stock to keep the spinners from walking. A hit from my RWS 34 will spin this thing about 2-3 times from 25yds. The heavier spinner was made the same way, just for .22Lr. out of 1/4" plate.

Doggonekid
02-25-2015, 12:56 AM
I have had very good luck with Crosman Premier 14.3 GR in .22 cal. They shoot 1 hole groups at 25 yards. I have to be using sandbags. I wish I could do that free style. But I can't. Ithaca Gunner your traps and spinners look like a good idea. I need to try something like that. When the weather gets warmer. I also use a pre-charged air rifle. I could not do that kind of group with a springer.

beemer
02-26-2015, 01:44 PM
I bought a RWS 34 in .22 about a year ago, I am pleased with the rifle. I wish the sights were a little better but I still do well with them. My groups are mostly quarter size at 65 ft. off a rest. My rifle doesn't care much for Crosman pellets , it does do well with RWS. My favorite is Gamo Diablo, they are not that expensive and shoot as well as any I have tried.

Dave