PDA

View Full Version : Getting a old Lyman up and running

s1120
01-25-2015, 01:32 PM
I have this old Lyman pot that was my dads. I want to get it up and running so I can cast. Right now as you can see its full of old lead and stuff. I need to clean it out and get it ready to use. Is it safe to just melt, flux, and pour?? Any tips for me?

kevmc
01-25-2015, 01:36 PM
I'd melt whats in it...pour off to ingots...clean out the scale/rust first.
clean alloy in smelting pot and cast !

labradigger1
01-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Excellent old pots those 61's, seems they never die. I have 3 or 4 of them and they are all great.
I would plug it in, let it warm up, flux, drain and wire brush the inside while wearing a dust mask.
About the only problems these had was the mica that holds the female plug end sometimes disintegrated and rarely the tstat or element. They are great old pots that will probably outlast all of us.
Lab

country gent
01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Heat it up and melt out whats in it into ingots. Clean good with wire brush wear a filter and face mask. scrub good with soap and steel wool. reassemble and cast with it or Since it was "Dads" and special, there is a gentleman rebuilding restoring these old pots listed in swapping and selling. Maybe bring Dads old pot back to like new with one of his restorations. If everything is still working then it isnt to hard to get it up and running again.

s1120
01-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Heat it up and melt out whats in it into ingots. Clean good with wire brush wear a filter and face mask. scrub good with soap and steel wool. reassemble and cast with it or Since it was "Dads" and special, there is a gentleman rebuilding restoring these old pots listed in swapping and selling. Maybe bring Dads old pot back to like new with one of his restorations. If everything is still working then it isnt to hard to get it up and running again.

Ya, I read that post. That might be a option. It has melted many tons of lead. Cant even count the number of bullets its produced! This will be my first trip into the casting world, so I don't want to do anything stupid!