PDA

View Full Version : Powder at gun show

tomme boy
01-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Man, I went to a GS Saturday in Princeton, IL. I have never seen so much powder at this show before. Some was WAY too high but there was some that was at the current high prices. There was a bunch of 231, HP38. HS6, 296, H110, CSB-1, Bullseye, Unique. And tons of rifle powder.

The 231 at one dealer was the best deal at $24/lb. There was also 8 pounders at $145 at the same dealer. He was way in the back. Seems everyone was buying it at $30+ at the dealers up front.

So if you are in the area, it might be worth the trip today. They were open to 3 oclock.

OH YEAH. There was a dealer there that had a 8 lb keg of Clays. $335 and it sold! It was old stock. Someone was desperate!

Petrol & Powder
01-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Yep, I've seen powder available locally as well. Not saying we're out of the woods yet but it sure is a good sign. Saw WW231/HP-38 yesterday. Haven't seen that in a Looooong time!

Iowa Fox
01-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Thats good news. How was the rest of the show as Princeton always used to be a good one. To far for me to drive now that I'm retired.

9w1911
01-25-2015, 01:04 PM
wow - I would sell my one keg of Clays for that much and then go pay for my car registration!

sig2009
01-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Available at any PA gun show for the past year!

mold maker
01-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Local shows can only have a few lbs on display. The stock has to be left in transportation vehicles. There were several dealers with powder today, although at high prices, at least it was available.
One thing I noticed, was unfamiliar names and numbers. Are there that many new powders, or am I just that far out of the loop. I haven't bought in several years, and am running low.

dragon813gt
01-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Available at any PA gun show for the past year!

But the prices vary be region. The one a few weeks ago in Leesport had decent prices. So I bought what I wanted. The shows in Oaks always have over inflated prices. It seems that $34 a pound is the new norm for Varget at the stores. Glad I don't need any and it's there for whoever wants to buy it.

6bg6ga
01-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Didn't see any powder at the gun show in Dec in Cedar Rapids.

Iowa Fox
01-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Didn't see any powder at the gun show in Dec in Cedar Rapids.

I checked with Bob and he had very little powder. Told me he's having an impossible time getting it. I'm in pretty good shape except H322 & BLc2. I think I have enough of those two to get me to Wyoming and back this summer unless I shoot to many practice rounds before I go. I didn't see many people carrying powder from that new guy in the north west corner of the building. I'm not buying anything from him. He won't put his prices out like Bob or what he stocks. Bob has taken care of us for a lot of years and doesn't gouge us so I'm sticking with him.

runfiverun
01-25-2015, 10:51 PM
I have been seeing a jug of H-322 sitting on the shelf here for about a month now, I'm tempted as I have a couple of loads made up with it but have got away from using it.

the prices seem to have jumped up about 20 bucks a jug and most rifle powders are hanging out at 170-180 or so.
I got some red-dot a couple months back at 124 but the last jug of 700-x was 149.00.
by the pound it's up quite a bit recently.
titegroup was still about 19, some of the hodgdon stuff was pushing 24.00 for pistol and 27 for rifle.
that 5744 stuff was marked at 34.00 a pound, they can keep it for that.
I think we are seeing the affects of the take over of imr, and win powders starting to kick in.

tomme boy
01-25-2015, 11:48 PM
I don't think so. I think it is just the dealers getting what they can. Heck, The had Wolf and Tula primers at the same prices as CCI an Win at most shows I go to. I am buying as much as I can while I can. I have been setting a couple of dollars to the side everyday just for reloading stuff. I have been buying mostly at gun shows, but me and another fellow about every other week are out on a road trip somewhere for the day just to hit gun stores and gun shows. We have been finding everything we need except 2400. That is the only powder besides the clays we have not been able to find. I had some given to me recently so I am good for a while.

I am NOT going to be caught ever again with not having enough powder and primers to get me by for at least 5 years. I have cut back on my pistol shooting a lot. I got rid of my 45 1911 and my AR rifles as I can't stand to chase brass anymore. I am down to bolt action and revolvers for my main shooting.

runfiverun
01-26-2015, 01:12 AM
the prices I have been monitoring most are at the semi-local sports-mans warehouses.
but I just took two weeks off work and have been up and down the line from central Idaho [3 stores] through Wyoming into Utah [all 5 stores] and down to Las Vegas NV, in the last 2 weeks
with a couple of local gun stores visited along the way. [10-12]
the stickers with the old and new prices are on many of the shelves and new jugs.

the prices have also been all over the map [a jug of 3031 marked 159.00 next to a jug of 4064 marked 179.00]
and some places have better on the shelf availability of certain powders than others.

sig2009
01-26-2015, 09:13 PM
But the prices vary be region. The one a few weeks ago in Leesport had decent prices. So I bought what I wanted. The shows in Oaks always have over inflated prices. It seems that $34 a pound is the new norm for Varget at the stores. Glad I don't need any and it's there for whoever wants to buy it.

If you go to Oaks. Stop by Kings Shooters Supply in King Of Prussia. Roger has a shelf full of powder and it's only 10 min from the show.

dragon813gt
01-26-2015, 09:21 PM
I was there on Saturday since I had a call in Bridgeport. His prices were the same as French Creek Outfitters. Meaning more than I'm willing to pay. It's available for those that want it. I'm glad I don't need to buy any at the current prices.

Iowa Fox
01-27-2015, 02:39 AM
I don't think so. I think it is just the dealers getting what they can. Heck, The had Wolf and Tula primers at the same prices as CCI an Win at most shows I go to. I am buying as much as I can while I can. I have been setting a couple of dollars to the side everyday just for reloading stuff. I have been buying mostly at gun shows, but me and another fellow about every other week are out on a road trip somewhere for the day just to hit gun stores and gun shows. We have been finding everything we need except 2400. That is the only powder besides the clays we have not been able to find. I had some given to me recently so I am good for a while.

I am NOT going to be caught ever again with not having enough powder and primers to get me by for at least 5 years. I have cut back on my pistol shooting a lot. I got rid of my 45 1911 and my AR rifles as I can't stand to chase brass anymore. I am down to bolt action and revolvers for my main shooting.

Tomme, Have you guys been to Square Shooters? Last week I was wondering if they are still in business. Its been over 4 years now since I have been to Davenport, I just don't get to far from home since I'm retired. Man I loved that store when they were on State St in Bettendorf.

trapper9260
01-27-2015, 06:56 AM
I checked with Bob and he had very little powder. Told me he's having an impossible time getting it. I'm in pretty good shape except H322 & BLc2. I think I have enough of those two to get me to Wyoming and back this summer unless I shoot to many practice rounds before I go. I didn't see many people carrying powder from that new guy in the north west corner of the building. I'm not buying anything from him. He won't put his prices out like Bob or what he stocks. Bob has taken care of us for a lot of years and doesn't gouge us so I'm sticking with him.

I was there at the time also and in the past I got some things from him also. I seen at that show is them buy guns mainly. other wise there was not much going on when I was there at the time.I think it will take some time before the powder will show up like it use to.also alot new reloaders are out there now also.So they do not know what the normal price of things was before all of this.I have a gun smith that I get some of my powder from.He give me a list of what he can get at the time and then see from there after.

tomme boy
01-27-2015, 10:00 AM
They are trying to close the business down. The building is for sale. They do have a bunch of rifle powder. You have to be there when they get the powder in if you want any pistol powder. It goes about 2 hours and it is gone. They are getting some in, but it is very spotty. Just like everywhere else. The one owner has cancer and is not doing very well the last time I asked. Can not remember his name right now, but the one with the mustache.

Primers are high. $35 if no sticker. If stickered, $40. Most all guns in there are consignment guns now. Unless you order them.

Don't even bother going to B&B, they sold out a few years back and they do not have anything in there anymore. They used to be the place to go for pistols. Now they might have about 10 of them and that is it.

trapper9260
01-27-2015, 10:46 AM
They are trying to close the business down. The building is for sale. They do have a bunch of rifle powder. You have to be there when they get the powder in if you want any pistol powder. It goes about 2 hours and it is gone. They are getting some in, but it is very spotty. Just like everywhere else. The one owner has cancer and is not doing very well the last time I asked. Can not remember his name right now, but the one with the mustache.

Primers are high. $35 if no sticker. If stickered, $40. Most all guns in there are consignment guns now. Unless you order them.

Don't even bother going to B&B, they sold out a few years back and they do not have anything in there anymore. They used to be the place to go for pistols. Now they might have about 10 of them and that is it.

Thank you for the heads up on it.

Tar Heel
01-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Pistol powders at Raleigh GS from the vendors which had it were running $40/lb.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NO FREAKING WAY I will pay that. I'll buy a slingshot first. Made notes of who was attempting this thievery and will NEVER patronize their "business".

sig2009
01-27-2015, 03:56 PM
I was there on Saturday since I had a call in Bridgeport. His prices were the same as French Creek Outfitters. Meaning more than I'm willing to pay. It's available for those that want it. I'm glad I don't need to buy any at the current prices.

Unfortunately when they go up, they don't come down!

Iowa Fox
01-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the update tomme. I'm saddened to hear about Paul. In about 1993 give or take a few years he set a worlds record in Golden Colorado shooting his cast bullets. Ken & Paul both worked at Cat in Mt Joy. In the Mid 80s when Cat closed that plant due to the John Deere strike Ed Cabor talked them into going into business and opening Square shooters. I bought a lot of stuff from them over the years from both places, Bettendorf and S. Rolf St. I don't think I ever bought much from B & B but I always enjoyed browsing their store. There was a old gun store in Moline but I can't remember the name, they had a shooting range in the basement and had lots of used junk all over the store. They always had a lot of used Dillon parts as the guys must have taken parts there as they upgraded presses. All the good old time shops seem to be gone as the owners climbed in age and gave it up. At one time Davenport was home to the largest Schuetzen club in the United States.

1Shirt
01-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Be careful about there being light at the end of the tunnel regarding powder and primers! It may just be an oncoming train~
1Shirt!

tomme boy
01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Moline shooting sports. The shop burned down about 10 years ago and they rebuilt about a block away. They are very hit or miss for supplies.

The Schuetzen club is still going. They have a brand new huge building up on the bluffs near Princeton, IA

Powder Burn
01-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Saw some H110 but not Unique or Bullseye. Usually hit Princeton twice a year. How'd you like the 10-15 minute black out right at start of show? Maybe I missed some powder since I couldn't see too well. Bet some of the dealers were sweating it.

tomme boy
01-27-2015, 11:55 PM
Must have been before I got there that the lights went out. Was there about 10;30 or so.