PDA

View Full Version : New ruger

snoopy
01-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Well,new to me. Stopped at the LGS to get the wife signed up for her CC permit. She's very proficient with a revolver, but wanted to be able to carry whatever, so you have to qualify with an auto. Well,just so happened to be a nice 22/45 new arrival, so I bought it,been wanting one for a while just wouldn't part with the dough. Anyway, got flagged so couldn't bring it home. She had to practice with my 459 and even though it is hard for her to rack the slide, she did well with it.

chsparkman
01-25-2015, 07:47 AM
did they tell you why you were flagged?

snoopy
01-25-2015, 08:35 AM
No, it happens everytime, usually approved in about an hour or two so I generally go eat something, bum around and go back and pickem up, guess they were busy. I don't ubderstand the why's of the govt. I went shooting yesterday and didnt check back, they have my number. It is what it is you know, I have a hazmat license and twic card that allows me to go into any port, refinery, military base, etc. It aint like they've never done a BC on me.

chsparkman
01-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Very strange. I've never been flagged here in Virginia, but I've been in gun stores when others were flagged, and they said the same as you; approval comes in a few hours. Seems like if you're approved once, it should be good for a year or so, but that's common sense so of course the govt. would never do that.

MrWolf
01-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Very strange. I've never been flagged here in Virginia, but I've been in gun stores when others were flagged, and they said the same as you; approval comes in a few hours. Seems like if you're approved once, it should be good for a year or so, but that's common sense so of course the govt. would never do that.

Nope, gov't thinks that just because as a gun owner you didn't break the law right now, you will probably do so in another minute or two. It is only a matter of time to them.

newton
01-25-2015, 11:04 AM
I've never been flagged either till this past December. Bought a rifle one Thursday, then went to have my pistol I bought online transferred the day before Christmas eve. Walked out with the rifle the same day, but when they did the pistol she said I'd have to wait till the 31st. So sad because the pistol was going to be my Christmas present.

Woke up Christmas eve morning and the LGS called and said they called and cleared me. Can't tell you how relieved I was because I was scratching my head wondering why all the day before. I think they get busy with calls and just automatically put you on hold because 'they can'. Or it could have been the recent purchase of the other gun. Either way, I've decided to limit my background check gun purchases to once a month at least.

DLCTEX
01-25-2015, 11:21 AM
In Texas a concealed carry license holder does not have to do a background check. Innocent until proven guilty? Really, Uncle Sam.

44 Special
01-25-2015, 11:33 AM
In Texas a concealed carry license holder does not have to do a background check. Innocent until proven guilty? Really, Uncle Sam.

If you have a concealed handgun permit in Texas, the only limiting factor in purchasing a gun is how fast you can fill out the form 4473. I've been in the gun store, and out with a gun in under 15 minutes.

You could go store to store, doing that all day in Texas.

snoopy
01-25-2015, 11:41 AM
I believe its the same in OK, had mine when we lived in ARK., but never got one in OK. Guess I'll get it on my todo list if just for this purpose.

bedbugbilly
01-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Same in Michigan - if you're permitted . there's no wait.

I'm wondering if some folks get flagged at times due to their name? Let's face it, there are others out there with the same name as ours who may often be convicted felons. I know . DOB, address, etc. should straighten that out as well as drivers license but we're dealing with "people" who are "guv'mt" employees as well and who have to work within their own system.

I know that in the past, I've purchased two handguns at the same time and no problem. But now I'm asked as I fill out the paperwork if I'm going to be purchasing any other firearms that day - may be it's because of paperwork duplication but often wonder if a person would go to one LGS and purchase a firearm and then go to another LGS and purchase another (on the same day and someone who is not "permit carrier") and two background checks are called in on the same day - if that triggers anything that could cause a delay?

contender1
01-26-2015, 10:31 AM
According to my local FFL, if you purchase more than one handgun per week, (can't remember if it's 5 working days, or 7 days outright,) he is required to report "multiple purchases by a single person" to the bastions of ATF.

Getting flagged happens a lot to some folks, and never to some others. As noted, it's due to others with the same names etc.

MrWolf
01-26-2015, 06:57 PM
According to my local FFL, if you purchase more than one handgun per week, (can't remember if it's 5 working days, or 7 days outright,) he is required to report "multiple purchases by a single person" to the bastions of ATF.

Getting flagged happens a lot to some folks, and never to some others. As noted, it's due to others with the same names etc.

Try that in Jersey and you would be arrested. We are allowed only one handgun every thirty days (turns out to be thirty one days from date of purchase). Hate this state!

contender1
01-27-2015, 12:15 PM
I was discussing Federal law, not the stupid additional restrictions some states place upon law abiding citizens.

trapper9260
01-27-2015, 12:25 PM

Same here in Iowa.The gunsmith I deal with he said that if some one buy 2 handguns at the same time on the same day he have to fill out some paper work that gose to county shrieff office and also to someone else not sure who.but he said you could get one gun from him and go to some other place the same day and get another and need not to have the paper work of getting 2 guns in one day.