PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 Mauser

osteodoc08
01-25-2015, 01:53 AM
LGS has a Siamese Mauser converted to 45/70 sitting on the rack. Since I love all things 45/70, I'm considering it, but am unsure of the actual value/cost and how these actions are. Barrel is unknown but richly blued and about 24". It's a mid weight taper. Nice older walnut stock with wear.

Advice appreciated.

NSB
01-25-2015, 02:07 AM
I can't help you here. I'm a 45-70 "addict" so I'd probably buy it. You'll have to get a normal person to help you out with this one. Seriously, if the price is right, why not get it? If it doesn't pan out you can always send it down the road. Does the LGS back up what they sell as far as function goes? If it goes bang and isn't broke you can't go wrong if the price is right. Sometimes things have your name on them.

StrawHat
01-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Navy Arms did a conversion of the Siamese Mauser and provided a simple stock to complete the package. I do not recall the barrel length but remember the barrel was stepped to resemble the Mauser military barrel.

E.R. Shaw, and others, would rework and barrel the Siamese Mauser for the 45-70. The stock was up to whoever was building the rifle. These would have tapered barrels in whatever profile the barrel maker offered. I know Shaw marked his work on the bottom of the barrel with his name and the date of conversion. It is a good conversion, if you need to be punished by the 45-70. I had one in the 70s and recently acquired another barreled action. If I had it to do again, I would prefer it to be cut for the 405 WCF.

The Siamese action will accept the most powerful loads in the 45-70. Loads that destroy brass in one or two firings. They can do the same to your shoulder.

Kevin

oger
01-25-2015, 08:03 AM
I've had one for 30 years and actually like it. Mine is quite heavy and the stock fits me well so I can push 500 gr solids to 1900 fps without completely crossing my eyes.

cainttype
01-25-2015, 09:26 AM
If the temptation overwhelms you, try function testing with a few different nose profiles before putting any cash out.
The Siam 45-70 conversions can be a lot of fun, but I've seen a few with feeding issues when they weren't done properly.

No_1
01-25-2015, 09:32 AM
I have 2 converted Siamese Mausers. The first one is chambered in 30-40 Krag (top in the picture) and my plan was to convert it to 45-70. Lucky for me I was convinced by my gunsmith to leave it as is since it was an excellent conversion that shot well. The second was a gift from my dad. They both function (cycle) and shoot well. Some time back I stumbled across a very nice conversion in 348 Winchester for $500 + shipping but hesitated when it was time to push the "buy" button. I am still kicking myself. I recommend you get it if your wallet allows.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/SIAMESE%20MAUSERS/DSC01129.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/no_one_photos/media/SIAMESE%20MAUSERS/DSC01129.jpg.html)

zuke
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
BUY IT!!!
If you don't you'll be kicking yourself for a very long time

Bigslug
01-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Buy it, then send it TO ME!! I love the round and would like a repeater, but pretty much HATE lever actions. . . Think of it as a slightly de-tuned .458 Win Mag without the price tag.

woodbutcher
01-25-2015, 03:04 PM
:smile: Many years ago I had a Siamese Mauser built up in 45-70.Have been kicking my butt ever since for selling it[smilie=b:.Was a great shooter.Paid IIRC $35.00 including shipping for the action,and a friend installed the barrel and chambered it for me no charge.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Mk42gunner
01-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Nothing says you have to run that gun at full throttle all the time; but if you have any lesser potential .45-70's around, make sure you mark the hot loads.

The way prices have jumped in the last few years I have no idea on the price. If you want it and can afford it without making the kids go hungry, they aren't all that common.

Robert

ascast
01-25-2015, 07:37 PM
most kids in this country are fat skipping a few plates wont hurt them in the long haul

bbqncigars
01-25-2015, 07:38 PM
I would buy it in a heartbeat if the action and bore checked out.

osteodoc08
01-25-2015, 08:06 PM
most kids in this country are fat skipping a few plates wont hurt them in the long haul

Mine arent, but sadly, you're comment is fairly accurate.

catskinner
01-25-2015, 08:20 PM
I bought a Siamese Mauser chambered for 33 Winchester about 20 years ago. It had a Lyman reciever sight on it then and later I had it drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Gunsmith that d&ted it said "don't bring me another another one". It drilled harder than a double heat treated Springfield according to him. Standard M98 after market triggers will fit. I'd use some dummy rounds to check out feeding before I bought it to see if the magazine work was done well.

Geezer in NH
01-25-2015, 09:40 PM
BUY IT!!!
If you don't you'll be kicking yourself for a very long time Best seen here they are hard to find. I would buy it now!!!