PDA

View Full Version : newbie question overall length

02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
I am just getting into reloading. I am starting to laod .45-70 with cast bullet meister 300 grn lrnfp. is there a specific oal measurment from the tip of the bullet to the bottom of the case and how do you determine this length is there a minimum and a mazximum length. I a am sue this effect case pressure, ?? thank you Captain Lewis

02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh! Capn' Lewis.... you may have stuck your head into the lion's den and they've been hungry lately :roll:

1st- Get a manual like Lyman 48th Edition.... use the "Trapdoor 45-70" load data to begin with.

2nd- May depend on the rifle. For lever guns the function and magazine feed sometimes dictate the OAL. Within the same weight.... bullets of different nose designs/lengths can affect feeding in some lever guns. I don't know the specific mold Meister uses but it may be just fine in your gun if seated so case mouth is centered in crimp groove. You'll want to crimp the case mouth lightly into the groove anyway if shooting in a lever gun... then exact measurement of the OAL is not so critical.

3rd- The front bearing band on the bullet can dictate OAL. In most cases that band is kept back away from the lands at least .020"-.050" for starting loads.

4th- For most flat point bullet loads a dial caliper is the easiest and least expensive way to measure the OAL. Yes, the OAL is measured from bullet tip to cartridge base.

5th- If trying to shoot the 45-70 for accuracy using smokeless loads.... the Meister plain base may not be very good??? I've had excellent results with the 300 gr FPGC (LBT style) .458 bullets by Cast Perfomance in my lever guns. You can get them thru some suppliers or call Cast Performance direct.
http://www.castperformance.com/StoreFront.bok

good luck