PDA

View Full Version : 444 to 356

JSH
01-24-2015, 10:38 PM
I have a 336 that I am itching to get rebored to 356.
I have a few odds and ends of 444 that I made into 356 in one pass. However I am concerned with bumping the shoulder back to far and not sizing the web enough. I don't have a 444 die but do have a 35 whelan. So am thinking that the whelan die may size the web with out bumping the shoulder.

On the trimming side I am thinking rather than buy a trim die I will take a 06 or 308 die, chuck it up in the lathe and part it off. Run a 444 and trim to what I need or want.
Sound like a plan? Any input from you folks that have been there done that?
jeff

EDG
01-25-2015, 02:09 AM
Get a mike and measure your brass at the web.
Compare it to your chamber at the same location and compare it to factory .356 specifications using the SAAMI drawings.
You may not need anything.

I have a 45 Autorim trim die that I would use for something like that but only if the measurements of the chamber and brass said it was needed. Don't guess, measure and research first. Know where you are going before you get there.

JSH
01-25-2015, 09:49 AM
EDG
444 brass is fired. Looks to have been in a couple of different guns from my measurements, thus my thoughts on the whelan die.
Honestly I will have rifle in hand before I start. The shoulder is my major concern.
I am not going into this blind. I have fooled with a dozen or so various wildcats.
The 45 AR trim die never crossed my mind but sure would work.
SAMMI drawings are fine but I have found when one goes to moving metal around under pressure strange things can and do happen at times.
Jeff

EDG
01-25-2015, 12:48 PM
I agree that the chamber is the ultimate "gauge" for the cartridge. If the chamber is actually cut to fit the go-no go gauges of the .358 Win you should not have a problem with the shoulder location.
The maximum cartridge is always dimensioned to fit the minimum chamber (unless the drawing is some old timer like the 38-55) In the absence of the rifle you can check your cases against the head size in the SAAMI drawings. Sooner or later in the manufacturing process things have to be standardized to a SAAMI type document or factory ammo would not shoot in factory rifles.

EDG
444 brass is fired. Looks to have been in a couple of different guns from my measurements, thus my thoughts on the whelan die.
Honestly I will have rifle in hand before I start. The shoulder is my major concern.
I am not going into this blind. I have fooled with a dozen or so various wildcats.
The 45 AR trim die never crossed my mind but sure would work.
SAMMI drawings are fine but I have found when one goes to moving metal around under pressure strange things can and do happen at times.
Jeff