PDA

View Full Version : Dillon single stage conversion

labradigger1
01-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Have any of you seen the toolhead and shell plate conversion for the xl 650 on eBay yet?
It has a billet toolhead with one 7/8"x14 hole in the center and a new shell plate conversion to move the case to the center of the ram and uses standard shell holders. Why am I interested you may ask? I think it may work for a medium duty swage press. It would need a larger hole in the tool head for Corbin swage dies and a bushing for regular sized dies. He has not made any for the 550 yet.
Thoughts?
lab
Http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-Single-Stage-Conversion-Kit-/221597875663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3398433dcf

VHoward
01-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Instead of doing that, buy a Lee classic cast single stage. It has a large hole in the center with a bushing to use the standard dies. It is plenty strong enough for swaging. spend a little extra and get a dedicated single stage. $112 at Natchez shooters supply. Don't put you 650 at risk. I wouldn't use it on my 650, but that is my choice.

Firebricker
01-24-2015, 11:52 PM
It is a clever idea but I am with VH no way I would put a 650 at risk. Plus it seems like a lot of hassle for little gain especially with the availability of heavy single stage presses. FB

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-25-2015, 12:36 PM
+3 The Lee Classic Cast is very affordable and won't risk your 650.

W.R.Buchanan
01-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Or you could just buy a Corbin Press that is actually designed to Swage Boolits..

We should remember that there is a lot of force required to swage any boolit of significant size,, both on the press and on your arm!

The mechanical advantage designed into the Corbin Press is significantly higher than it is on a reloading press, but is done over a much shorter press stroke.

It is basically a "lower geared press."

Something for you to consider.

You should also forget about the Dillon idea. It isn't made to do that and the fact that it has a removable tool head is the reason why.

This guy on Ebay is an example of "somebody who got an idea." He even made it happen. Problem is,,, it isn't a very GOOD idea!

Randy

dudel
01-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Take a look at a press designed for swaging; then take another look at the 650. The leverage is wrong as is the design. I think this might work fine for sizing boolits in a Lee push through sizer; but for that purpose you could pick up a small Lee C press for less than $30. Not quite sure I see the value of this.

The reason they don't make them for the 550, is that you don't need it. Just don't index the star wheel and you have four single stage presses right there!

And no, I wouldn't think of swaging on my 550 either.

HATCH
01-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I would worry about damaging the press it self.
I have one of those single stage conversion kits and it works great.

charlie b
01-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Father-in-law and I used a Lee Classic Turret press to do some bullet swaging. Not many as we were doing bullet development work, probably less than 500 total. It did take a lot of force on the handle. Didn't hurt anything and the press kept on going with regular reloading duties for many years after that.

If you want to do a lot, then a dedicated Corbin press is better. Much better leverage on the handle.

Now, if you really wanted, you could use a regular O frame press and change the linkage to give you the leverage you need. But, that would also shorten the stroke so it would be limited for other duties.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2015, 07:28 AM
don't think ive ever met a soul that had a 650 that didn't already own a single stage press too.

labradigger1
01-30-2015, 09:10 AM
I do have single stage presses also. I don't have a 650 but do have 2 550's.
I do like the idea of it though.
When I started this thread I was thinking along the lines of the c-h 105 dies and not full blown jacketed swaging.

rosewood
01-30-2015, 09:34 AM
don't think ive ever met a soul that had a 650 that didn't already own a single stage press too.

I actually started with a 550b. Someone recommended it to me that reload specifically for cowboy shooting. Didn't get a Lee challenger single stage until a I started reloading rifle calibers and realized it would be easier to resize the lubed bottlenecks on a single stage instead of the progressive. Yep, got the first .223 case stuck on in the press on the dillon the first try. So, I resize all rifle on the single stage but still resize the pistols on the 550b when loading. I recommend this to anyone that is using a progressive.

dragonrider
01-30-2015, 09:37 AM
I do not think that aluminum tool head will survive swaging and in the process it will mangle your 650

rosewood
01-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I tend to agree, probably not a good idea for swaging. However, would make the 650/550 better for resizing large rifle calibers. I suppose if you have limited space and no room for a single stage also.

Swaging might void your "no BS" warranty.

Wonder if it is sturdy enough to handle loading a 50 BMG? I guess he could raise the center of the toolhead up for the necessary clearance? Might be a low cost alternative to buying one of those ridiculously priced 50bmg presses.

dudel
01-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Wonder if it is sturdy enough to handle loading a 50 BMG? I guess he could raise the center of the toolhead up for the necessary clearance? Might be a low cost alternative to buying one of those ridiculously priced 50bmg presses.

Wouldn't work for 50BMG. Those are the larger dies sizes that won't fit in the supplied toolhead.

You don't need one of the "expensive" 50BMG presses. A standard RockChucker and Lee Cast can be pressed into service one you remove the bushing for the "normal" dies.

jeepyj
01-30-2015, 11:51 AM

So true ^^^^^Jeeepyj

rosewood
01-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't work for 50BMG. Those are the larger dies sizes that won't fit in the supplied toolhead.

You don't need one of the "expensive" 50BMG presses. A standard RockChucker and Lee Cast can be pressed into service one you remove the bushing for the "normal" dies.

I was referring to the Toolhead kit the guy has for sale to make it a single stage. I know it won't fit in a standard 550B toolhead. If he offsets it high in the middle and threads it for the larger die, it just might work.

bbqncigars
01-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Anyone getting into 50BMG can afford the Lee setup. That's what I use to feed my Windrunner. The Classic Cast is a very good press for the money and a much better alternative than risking your Dillon (if you have the space).