PDA

View Full Version : Gunshow Score... or I think I did good

koehlerrk
01-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Picked up a 1902 Remington Model 6 - the rolling Block 22 version. Sweet little rifle, should be a great gun to teach my nephew.

The good, it's complete, has a very good bore and crown, and has the flip-down tang sight. Trigger and block are good.

The bad, it's been reblued, but they did a decent job, and the stock is split, but I can fix that.

Paid $80 out the door... for what will be a kids 22.

So how'd I do?

merlin101
01-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Lousy!! But since I'm a nice guy I'll take it off your hands for the 80 and give ya $20. :)

country gent
01-24-2015, 08:27 PM
You did very good, Now to find and start stocking up on 22s. A single shot will teach him the value of the first shot also.

oldred
01-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Ok just because I'm an even nicer guy I will take the junky thing for the 80 and give you 25! :-P

You did great and that's a fact!

GunStuff
01-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Nice rifle. But what's wrong with re-blueing a rifle? Every rifle is not a collectible. When you repaint your car or your house because it's a bit seedy looking, are you devaluing it? Does your wife make you bubba the living room with a fresh coat of paint? This whole thing is part of political correctness misapplied to ordinary firearms by ordinary armchair collectors.

koehlerrk
01-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Well Merlin, you're almost close enough... but you'd have to explain your actions to my nephew. Rochester is 90 minutes away from here, that's rather a long ride with an angry child on your mind.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with what I got and the price I paid. Been laying in a stock of 22s for the past... 15 years or so. Every so often I'd buy two bricks and put one away... nice to have that now. It's not a ton, but with a single shot, it should be enough to teach him the basics.

Nice rifle. But what's wrong with re-blueing a rifle? Every rifle is not a collectible. When you repaint your car or your house because it's a bit seedy looking, are you devaluing it? Does your wife make you bubba the living room with a fresh coat of paint? This whole thing is part of political correctness misapplied to ordinary firearms by ordinary armchair collectors.

Well GunStuff, it may have destroyed the "collector value" of that rifle by having it reblued, ditto the stock repair I'll be doing shortly. However, for a gun to be used to teach my 7 year old nehew to shoot... it's perfect, and who in their right mind would hand a 7 year old a "collectors rifle?"

jcren
01-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Any way to introduce the next generation is priceless. Awesome find, I am jealous, do the youngster justice.
Joe

koehlerrk
01-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Found the camera... battery is flat, needs a good charging. Oh well... I'll get this old gun's stock all fixed up then post some pics.

Then once spring comes and the driveway to the rifle range isn't a sheet of ice, I'll take my nephew up there and take pics of him shooting.

Seven year old kid and a 113 year old rifle, that sounds like quite a pair.

John Allen
01-24-2015, 10:53 PM
That is a great deal but as we say around here it did not happen without the pics to prove. Post some pictures so we can all drool

bbqncigars
01-25-2015, 09:43 PM
You've done well so far. I'd give the gun to the kid if he likes it.

leadman
01-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Good find. Use caution firing high velocity 22 in it. I have a Remington #4 rolling block and it does not like the high velocity ammo but shoots great with the target stuff.
If the tang sight is an original Remington is worth way more than what you paid for the gun.

koehlerrk
01-26-2015, 07:12 AM
I doubt it leadman... the tang sight on these old "Boys Rifles" was nothing more than a piece of sheet metal with a hole in it. You can adjust it... a little, with the screw that attaches it, but it's not a complicated setup.

Here's a pic I found that shows what I have.

http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/usantique/DSC00328a.jpg