PDA

View Full Version : I need help with 185gr LSWC load data!

DaveinPA
02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi all. I have a box of 185gr LSWC bullets on its way to me to load up some .45 ACP rounds for my Para 1911, but I can't seem to find any load data for them! Am I safe using 200gr LSWC load data or what?

If anyone can help me come up with a safe load for the 185gr LSWC with Winchester 231 powder, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dave

454PB
02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Yes, you can use any jacketed bullet loading data for comparable weight cast boolits, or use 200 grain LSWC data. Most important is seating depth.

DaveinPA
02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Yes, you can use any jacketed bullet loading data for comparable weight cast boolits, or use 200 grain LSWC data. Most important is seating depth.

Glad you mentioned that. What should my OAL be for a .45 ACP round with a 185gr LSWC? I can't find that data in my manuals either.

Kraschenbirn
02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Have used both 4.0 gr Bullseye and 4.5 gr 700X behind a 185 gr cast with eqully good results. Loaded to 1.250 O.A.L. either load functions well in my 1911 Gold Cup and also in my (relatively) stock 1911 "practical" gun.

Bill

454PB
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I can't give you a measurement, but it has to feed properly, and yet not intrude into the case far enough to raise pressure beyond safe limits. The Lyman 48th edition reloading guide has a lot of COL's for their various mould designs, and some jacketed bullets.

I suggest you seat at the minimum depth that will feed properly, the maximum COL length for .45 ACP is 1.275". Do you own a chronograph? A chronograph is the single most valuable tool for load development.

My computer copy of Winchester reloading data shows a 200 gr. LSWC starting load of 4.8 gr. of 231, and a maximum of 5.5 grs.

35remington
02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
It depends upon whether the SWC is of the longnose HG #68 style, or if it is a shortnosed SWC like the target varieties favored by bullseye shooters.

The former would be loaded to 1.240-1.250". The latter would be more like 1.16-1.18". Seat to the longer length, take the barrel out of the gun, and see if they chamber. If they don't, seat bullet deeper until they chamber fully. Go a small bit at a time; around five thousandths, checking frequently.

Be advised the shorter OAL was really not intended for the 1911 format, and although magazines exist that will feed this round they are a compromise measure that does not obtain best reliability in the 1911. Such is life.

If possible, stick with the HG #68 pattern if you can obtain bullets in this style. It is more compatible with 1911's.

DaveinPA
02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
These are the bullets I'm going to be loading.

http://www.missouribullet.com/shop/details.php?prodId=64&category=5

35remington
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Longnose SWC. A better choice.

Load to the longest OAL your gun will accept. Start at 1.250" and go from there. If this chambers, you're done. A small bit of the shoulder of the bullet should be above the lip of the casemouth.

DaveinPA
02-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Longnose SWC. A better choice.

Load to the longest OAL your gun will accept. Start at 1.250" and go from there. If this chambers, you're done. A small bit of the shoulder of the bullet should be above the lip of the casemouth.

Are you saying the ones I ordered are longnose, or that I should have ordered something different?

Kraschenbirn
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
<Are you saying the ones I ordered are longnose, or that I should have ordered something different?>

Nope, those are longnose and look like probably Magma's version of the H&G design. I'd almost bet money that those are the same boolit I've shot for the last 20 years or so. (see my earlier post) Used to buy them in bulk from Bull-X until the company went out of business but I've still got a .50 cal ammo can of loaded ammo and two or three 500-round cartons of boolits on the shelf.

They oughta work just fine for about anything from plinkin' to serious paper punching for score.

Bill

GSM
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Dave:

A lightweight load for the 185's could include 3.9 gr Win Super Target - may require a lighter spring for function, though.

As to seating depth, one way to determine an acceptable depth is to take the barrel out and seat the bullets progressively deeper until the rim of the case is just below the back of the barrel hood. Just be sure that they will reliably feed through the magazine (don't ask, just trust).

If you want to try and make life a little easier with bullets that have shoulders (not j-word hollow points), look at your seater plug. If the plug does not push down on the shoulder of the bullets, you can enlarge the inside of it until it pushes on the shoulder without touching the nose. This can also make the rounds a little more uniform: same length from shoulder to rim of case. As a bonus, the modified seater plug can be used on any bullet with a shoulder (#68, #130, #78, etc.) to get the same basic length. Thanks to the folks at the Bullseye Forum for that one.