PDA

View Full Version : How long before you ran out.

Dave C.
01-24-2015, 02:41 PM
If you could not buy any more powder as of today. How long would your supply of powder last at your present rate of usage?

nagantguy
01-24-2015, 02:45 PM
2-3 years for everything except unique. Which is almost gone and its been three years since I found any so my three year guess was right on the money.

texassako
01-24-2015, 02:49 PM
I would probably shoot less if I knew I could not get powder anymore. I could shoot my rifles for a long time, but would run out of pistol powder in just a year or 2. Longer if I stopped using Unique in my cast rifle rounds.

dtknowles
01-24-2015, 03:11 PM
I said 5 to 10 years because you said if you reloaded at the same rate. I would never run out because I would start making my own black powder and save my smokeless for special occasions.

Tim

Hickok
01-24-2015, 03:32 PM
I am good to go for a long while yet on everything except Unigue.

osteodoc08
01-24-2015, 04:06 PM
3-5 years likely for my pistol shooting. Less for my rifles.

9w1911
01-24-2015, 04:20 PM
how much pounds last you guys one year? just want to try to average for the sake of curiosity ow much i can shoot by these standards.

dragon813gt
01-24-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't openly discuss this type of thing. I'm self sufficient for almost every aspect and making black powder is easy.

John Boy
01-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Oh No ... Another one of these threads! :groner:
Some folks have nothing better to do and just want to do a run up of pages.
Dave, if your so curious, send me an email to find out

Sgtonory
01-24-2015, 10:38 PM
I said 3-5 years. But may be longer. I have around 60-70 pounds of pistol powder lost count, and i shoot around 10k pistol rounds per year. Avg charge 4 grains so i figure i can load about 120k rounds. So maybe good for 10 years. But just started shooting uspsa so that may cut into my supply big time. As for rifle powder have about 100 pounds. But that goes fast.

btroj
01-25-2015, 12:35 AM
I have no idea? I can't say I think about it. I have enough be good for a few years but that is all I can say.

labradigger1
01-25-2015, 01:00 AM
Long enough

dragonrider
01-25-2015, 01:21 AM
I replied with 3-5 years when in actuality I believe I could make it to 10 years easily

RoyEllis
01-25-2015, 01:38 AM
I'll probably still have powder & primers left when I die, knowing my luck.....

trapper9260
01-25-2015, 02:02 AM
I do not know.

runfiverun
01-25-2015, 02:40 AM
i'll run out of lead before I run out of pistol powder to propel it with.
as long as I don't start shooting shotguns like I used to.
[then i'll need at least 2,000 more pounds]

captain-03
01-25-2015, 02:45 AM
NEVER -- told myself 6 years ago it would never happen to me again -- powder or primers .....

rnelson11
01-25-2015, 09:14 AM
NEVER -- told myself 6 years ago it would never happen to me again -- powder or primers .....

+1

I'm 60 years old and will probably leave powder and primers for my son.

waco
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
I still have a few unopened cans of powder from '98-'99
I'm sure I'm good for years to come.

Beagle333
01-25-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't keep much at all and should be out by noon today. [smilie=1:

MrWolf
01-25-2015, 10:36 AM
I put down 5-10. I have some cross platform powders so I guess it depends on what I am shooting.

375supermag
01-25-2015, 10:47 AM
I said 3-5 years, but that is just a guess.

At 6,000 rounds of various handgun loads each year, I think I have enough of various powders to last more than 2 years, but my son and a friend shoot more handloads at an alarming rate, so it is possible that I will have to start using my "strategic" reserve sooner rather than later.

Of course, I am continuing to stockpile powder, primers and commercial cast and jacketed bullets, so hopefully I will be able to increase my supplies to stretch well into my retirement(which should begin in about 2 years when I turn 62).

I be a lot more confident about the powder situation when I can put an 8lb keg of my most used handgun powders (Unique, 2400, Bullseye, Blue Dot and maybe a couple others) in reserve.
I have over 16k primers on hand and want to get to 30K, so I have a little way to go in that regard.

nanuk
01-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I haven't been able to shoot anything today

18Bravo
01-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Probably around 5 years. However the last two or three years would have to be rifle only since that seems to be the powders I have the most of.

Love Life
01-27-2015, 11:21 AM
If they stopped selling powder then I would likewise severely limit my shooting and take up fishing. That being said, then my powder supply will last forever.

ejcrist
01-28-2015, 01:23 AM
I said 5-10 but of course that's if I used all the pistol powders regardless if the powder produces the best accuracy. A while back I tried to calculate how many pounds of each powder for each handgun I needed to last a lifetime and of course came up with vastly different amounts. I go through IMR 4227, H110, and 2400 the fastest so I'll need the most of those. I believe a lb of Bullseye will last me three lifetimes on the other hand. I think I'm set on black powder since I can only go through round balls about as fast as old people %^&*. I managed to acquire all the cases I'll ever need for the rest of my life but I ain't there yet on powder, primers, and lead alloys. My goal is to get what I need to last me till I'm about 80 at the current rate I shoot so I don't ever have to worry about shortages again in the future. By the time I'm 80 I probably won't remember how to shoot so I don't worry about after that. I hate it when you can't get components.

alrighty
01-28-2015, 07:00 AM
I am at ease , I am sure I have five years at least.Sadly though I don't have any green bullets nor enough powder if this zombie apocalypse thing I keep hearing about happens.:groner:

dakota
01-28-2015, 07:22 PM
The trouble is I want to use new powders and I'd like to get my hands on some 8 pounders of certain powders. I have plenty of H335 for instance, but am lacking in other areas. But I could use a different rifle to get by with the powders I have perhaps quite a while. But I may not have the best powder for what I want to shoot... Maybe 10+ years if I'm careful

mozeppa
01-29-2015, 10:45 PM
115 pounds as of today.

jonp
01-30-2015, 08:56 AM
My goal is not to stockpile powder so i can stare at it and get warm fuzzys. My goal is to have enough powder/primers/lead so that if i lose my job, become disabled or the economy crashes i can feed myself and my wife for the foreseeable future without panic. Its why i stopped most specialty powder purchases and concentrated on general purpose powder to feed all of my guns if i have to.

Heaven forbid we have another attack but if we do watch the government to turn its eyes to gunpowder purchases

mozeppa
01-30-2015, 10:08 AM
p.s.

to what jonp. said above...

all my powder is general purpose powder meant to feed 8 handguns and 2 more on the way.
the warm fuzzy i get is that i didn't pay premium prices, i have enough now to pass on as an inheritance so that the gov't eyes won't watch them.
and i'll get to shoot all i want.

spent 2 years accumulating reloading gear that works for me...and now
thats bought...i'll turn my attention to...

my next warm fuzzy will be lead...as i only have 700 pounds and 400 of that is lino.

then again...(i just did the math)....that powder will last 20 years shooting 24 shots per day .

thats one per hour for every hour for 20 years...........hmmm?....! .....need more powder!
about 49 times that above!

so i can shoot a box per hour!:bigsmyl2:

bdecker9
01-30-2015, 11:28 AM
I have a lb or two that have light charge rates, and 9mm don't take much so if I had to, could make a long time, but I get such a rush from pulling the triggers that a lb don't last that long.

dragon813gt
01-30-2015, 11:32 AM
115 pounds as of today.

So what's your local fire code? Just wondering because in a lot of areas that's not proper storage.

It amazes me that people post quantities of what they have. I lost all mine in a tragic boating accident.

jonp
01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
So what's your local fire code? Just wondering because in a lot of areas that's not proper storage.

It amazes me that people post quantities of what they have. I lost all mine in a tragic boating accident.

Wow, that sucks. Why did you have all of your powder in a boat with you? Are you in the Merchant Marine?

AnthonyB
01-30-2015, 06:54 PM

Stay away from boats! I had the same thing happen to all my guns. I'll never go out in a boat again!

mozeppa
01-30-2015, 08:00 PM
if .......(big "if").......well, maybe not so big.............

if the apocalypse does "happen"
"will anyone here be worried or even the least bit concerned with "fire codes" or "proper storage"?

always someone steps up to the plate to rain on someone else's good time eh?:groner:

9w1911
01-31-2015, 01:13 PM
I am in the same court as Jonp. I feel we are one election away from our hobbies being snuffed out completely. We dont need zombies to curtail supplies, I mean really, Obama did a darn good job and if Hillary is elected - she thinks we are a culture that needs to be checked.

kweidner
01-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Awww just build an outside magazine. Really though we don't have a county fire code here. There is a suggested national one but our local gov will not adopt it. Many of them have too much powder. lol

BruceB
01-31-2015, 01:50 PM
"Tragic boating accident..."

A close friend actually DID lose his Browning Hi-power 9mm in a boating accident.

He was coming down the South Nahanni River in the Northwest Territories at spring high-water, meaning boiling white water.... alone in the 18-foot boat, 50HP Mercury adapted to jet drive.

THe pistol was lying on a bight of the bow line, and in the rough white water, part of the line draped over the side, got caught in the stream, and flipped the gun overboard. No chance of finding it, so he took a couple of despairing visual cross-bearings as he was swept downstream, in hopes of finding it later at low water.

He went back a couple months later, when the water level had dropped about twenty feet, and FOUND THE GUN high and dry on a boulder bar!

It was completely rusted, but a good gunsmith got it back in service and the rust resulted in a rather nice natte finish when it was reblued.

That was in Canada, and the pistol was registered. If you lose a registered gun, ESPECIALLY in a place you were not legally allowed to have it.... guess what?

(Cop): "Now, Mr Jones, we are checking on all registered firearms. You have a 9mm Browning, serial number xxxxx.... let me see it, please."

(Mr Jones): "Uhhhhh...."

One more reason that I'm DAMNED glad to be out of Canada.

ballistim
02-02-2015, 03:51 PM
dragon813gt makes a good point about posting quantities on hand as well as reminding us of both local and national storage codes, just read an old Handloader magazine (#53) from 1975 with an article with Bruce Hodgden (using a box car for storage, etc.) and another article on proper powder storage and regulations-even back then! Nowadays officials are zealous about enforcing any and all laws and regulations, something to keep in mind. I'd like to see a stickie on how to build proper powder magazines of different sizes, I'll bet someone here has knowledge of this and has done so.

dragon813gt
02-02-2015, 04:07 PM
If your state/county/municipality has adopted International Building Code then they most likely adopted NFPA guidelines. I say most likely because they can choose which parts to adopt. IBC refers to NFPA so in most instances it's the code.

The guidelines for storage containers are available online. SAAMI has sections of NFPA in their handbooks. The short version is up to 20# can be stored in their original bottles. 20-50# must be in a wood container w/ walls at least 1" thick. I found an older version of the NFPA book in my garage last week so I will look to see if there are more construction details. It's 50#s per residence, don't know if this is separate structures or total per address. Powder and primers are to be stored separately and the limit on primers is 10k. Everyone goes over that limit.

tdoyka
02-02-2015, 04:42 PM
about two years, execpt trail boss, that will go in about a year. only found two 9oz cans.

Love Life
02-02-2015, 04:48 PM
I sold all my powders for more than I paid. I donated the money to MAIG.

Fishman
02-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Love Life has the best answer.

It certainly depends on the powder and application too. At 3-4 rounds per year deer hunting, some powder types will last a while.

Edward
02-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Ran out yesterday !

shdwlkr
02-05-2015, 03:58 PM
I have no idea not sure I have found all my supplies yet keep finding stuff I didn't know I had and stuff I knew I had hasn't turned up so who knows where it is now When you move every year you never really get everything unpacked and identified.

tdoyka
02-05-2015, 04:57 PM
i'm trying to find one powder to go with my boolits. 20 vartarg, 444marlin, and 45-70. as soon as i can, i would like to shoot my 30-40 krag along with these others. then i would go for an 8llb or two....

.30-06 fan
02-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Good on h4350 but no universal clays ..
Yet

Lead Fred
02-09-2015, 07:08 AM
"We just sat and waved.... Sittin on that sack of seeds"

alamogunr
02-28-2015, 11:46 PM
I voted 3-5 years but at my age, that is strictly a guess. I've already slowed down my casting, loading and shooting. Even if I live another 10 years, I may not be using powder that long.

armexman
03-01-2015, 01:45 PM
I gave (for a thank you) most of my powder to new shooters (15#'s). Can't bear to see new casters and reloaders without powder!
I have 2#'s of Bullseye (Enough for the rest of my lifetime, and enough for the 9 and 45) and 4#'s of Greendot (enough for all my revolvers and this lifetime).
My daughter and SIL will probably have some leftover BE;)

JonnyReb
03-01-2015, 04:09 PM
I went with 10+ years but only because i don't shoot Centerfire much anymore. When the component prices shot high a term or two ago i went to airguns for most of my casual shooting and blackpowder to fill in where needed. I hope smokeless and primers have a long shelf life. If noone comes and takes it i'll be good till i croak i think.

nighthunter
03-09-2015, 11:13 PM
After they cover me with dirt a few people are gonna be saying " Holy Bat S*** Bat Man, Where do you think he got all this S***?

dlbarr
03-10-2015, 01:48 AM
"At the same rate as today...."

I said about 10 years....but who wants to shoot THAT little?

GhostHawk
03-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Part of that poll is impossible to answer, as if I truly felt that I could not replace component's for any given period of time I'd severely curtail my use.

As is with moderate use I suspect I could manage for over 5 years.

I have some 12 lbs of powder, have recently bought primers and I am waiting for my latest lead purchase to arrive.

Since I shoot pretty much only for entertainment, and to give me stuff to do in the reloading room, in theory it could last for decades at need.

Rhou45
03-10-2015, 07:45 PM
At the rate I am currently using components, 3-5 years. But, that said, in the last 6 years I have shot a lot less than I used to. Due to ammo shortages I have not shot like I did in years past. Not that I didn't have the ammo, but I have been less inclined to shoot something unless I could replace it first. So I have been more selective on what and when I shoot. At the same time I have began storing more ammo on hand than before as well.

mozeppa
03-14-2015, 03:43 PM
well....as if i needed more.

went to the indy 1500 knife & gun show, 3 day event some 600 + dealers.

only one 8 pound jug of 2400 in the whole place.
i was in the door during the first 20 mins of opening.

i scored the jug at $28.13 per pound.
500 starline 44 mag brass -new
250 .380 starline brass-new

then came home and warm fuzzied my self for about an hour, had dinner and slept in today!

Ola
03-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Less than a year. Always the same situation. I can't stock up, unless I decide to break the law.

Handloader109
03-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Just consolidated my powder. Have a bit over 20 lbs. Have used 2 lbs in past year so about 10 years,

gloob
04-05-2015, 07:27 PM
I am down to my last 2 lbs of Unique and my last 200 LPP. I have enough loaded 45ACP to shoot for another year, or so. I can keep shooting everything else for probably 2-3 years.

I can't stock up, unless I decide to break the law.
So, you have maxed out your smokeless powder per your local firecode? How many lb's is that?

tradbear55
04-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Still having a hard time finding blue dot. Some of the other powders, such as Hodgdon seem to be finding their way to the shelf. I hope that this shortage comes to an end soon. Hate to sit and watch everyone else having fun.

starmac
04-15-2015, 12:53 PM
I have to ask, who would purposely shoot up their last pound of powder, without the ability to get or make more??? If I had 1 pound and knew I could never get more, it would last me the rest of my days.

gloob
04-16-2015, 09:56 PM
That is how I am treating my 22 or these days. I have shot only 80 rounds in the last year. If the price doesn't come down (relative to center fire) I will just never buy or shoot anymore and I can't say I will miss it.

Other than rimfire, my shortage is officially over. I got my shipping notice from PV. My first 8 lb jug of Promo is on the way. I have never had 8 lbs of pistol powder on hand, before. And I don't load shotgun. I should be good for a long while.

Boaz
04-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Just roughly figuring if it's anything you can load Red Dot or Unique with we are good for four to five years at the rate we shoot plus got a LOT of Pyrodex .

GhostHawk
04-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Shooting mostly Red Dot nowdays, ignoring all other powders (some 10 lbs worth) I figure I can shoot at my current rate for 3 years before running out. The last quarter of my first pound of Red Dot just went into the measure.

Best I can figure that is 250 rounds of 9mm, 300 rounds of 38 special/.357 Mag, 50 rounds of 7.62x25. I have 150 rounds of .45 ACP on hand and have probably shot at least another 75. Plus loaded some 7.62x39, some .444 Marlin, and a box of 7.62x54r. Ohh and 100 rounds of 300Blackout. 3-5 grains per round lets me load a fair amount.

I am ready to jump on the first good deal for an 8 lb caddy of Red Dot or Promo I can find.

Electric88
07-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Does anyone else get leery about storing in excess of around 12 pounds of assorted powders on the main level of their house, as opposed to something like a basement or crawlspace? I don't know why, but when I think about anything more than that I get this ill feeling, and the desire to move it to a subterranean space.

GhostHawk
07-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Electric, don't know about you, but I have about 20 lbs all in a clear tub with lid and gasket. So a stray spark is going to do nothing. In order for that powder to go up in flame, there has to be enough fire to melt through the tub and the container. If there is that much fire, it is going to go up no matter what you do.

Also, smokeless powder burns fast under pressure, but burns slow when not confined.

If you are really concerned about it I would try to find some kind of metal, lockable container. And move it to shed, garage, or shady spot outdoors.

Personally I would not go subterranen unless that area is both climate controlled, and secure from pests, etc.

runfiverun
07-22-2015, 01:48 AM
wet damp places would be the last place I'd put my powder.

if your really worried about what powder will do if near a fire, light some off in the driveway.
pfffft [that was it?]
powder burns fast under pressure [confined space] and creates gas.
in a plastic jug,,,,,, nuthin,,, it can't generate enough gas to fill the atmosphere.

dragon813gt
07-22-2015, 06:05 AM
If you are really concerned about it I would try to find some kind of metal, lockable container. And move it to shed, garage, or shady spot outdoors.

Completely wrong material. It's supposed to be kept in a wooden crate. I wouldn't keep it any of those places either due to high temperature and humidity fluctuations. Either in a conditioned space or in a basement w/ a dehumidifier are the two best options.

Electric88
07-22-2015, 07:03 AM
wet damp places would be the last place I'd put my powder.

if your really worried about what powder will do if near a fire, light some off in the driveway.
pfffft [that was it?]
powder burns fast under pressure [confined space] and creates gas.
in a plastic jug,,,,,, nuthin,,, it can't generate enough gas to fill the atmosphere.

I've done that with black powder and had a very similar reaction, but never tried it with smokeless powder. Either way, I appreciate the thoughts about the matter. I will store them in a closet more than likely :)

Electric88
07-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Also, I voted 3-5 years because I have a moderate amount of powder, but spend way more time reloading than I do shooting

tdoor4570
07-22-2015, 01:23 PM
I said 5 - 10 years being I have not fired a shot in 5 years

Springfield
07-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Get an old free refrigerator, I prefer the small dorm size, and store your powder in there. It is insulated, and has a decent seal, but not so strong a case(like a safe) that it will blow up if in a fire. You can even put a hasp on the door and lock it to keep out prying fingers. Then store it outside away from your house.

Electric88
07-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Get an old free refrigerator, I prefer the small dorm size, and store your powder in there. It is insulated, and has a decent seal, but not so strong a case(like a safe) that it will blow up if in a fire. You can even put a hasp on the door and lock it to keep out prying fingers. Then store it outside away from your house.

I thought about that before, and just putting it in the garage. The only reason I never did was because I remember people thinking it would turn into a giant bomb. Perhaps I will reconsider this option

Elkins45
07-23-2015, 06:47 PM
I made a wooden box for mine and its stored in the basement where the plastic water line is directly overhead. I figure if somehow it ever ignites the heat will melt thru the CPVC pipe and hopefully the water spray will help extinguish it.

mozeppa
07-28-2015, 07:06 PM
why is there so much concern about "properly storing" powder at home ...when my local gunshop has 5 times the amount of powders on his floors, wall shelves and on skids in pyramid fashion like canned goods?
(literally 2000 pounds of it in 1,4 & 8 pounders.)

why am i breaking the law ...and he's not?

isn't "proper storage" just as good for the goose as the gander?

dragon813gt
07-28-2015, 07:18 PM
why is there so much concern about "properly storing" powder at home ...when my local gunshop has 5 times the amount of powders on his floors, wall shelves and on skids in pyramid fashion like canned goods?
(literally 2000 pounds of it in 1,4 & 8 pounders.)

why am i breaking the law ...and he's not?

isn't "proper storage" just as good for the goose as the gander?

Because residential and commercial requirements are different. If the shop isn't following proper storage then they are putting their business at risk. Everyone is free to do as they wish, until you have a fire. And at that point the insurance company comes in. W/ how much it costs to rebuild a house I'm not risking it. The limits in my area are more than enough.

karlrudin
07-28-2015, 10:50 PM
I would say that if no more was available, and giving I don't hunt, 2-3 years. Depending on how many bad guys arrived to do me harm.

kjorgy
07-29-2015, 05:44 AM
I keep mine stored in the basement witha dehumidifier going all the time in the summer. There is a old saying that goes keep your powder dry. True

alamogunr
07-29-2015, 10:07 AM
At my present rate of usage, I have enough to last for the rest of my active days. Might have to get creative with some loads when I run out of some powders and they might not be optimum but would work.

I keep my powder in 2 large wooden boxes stored in my separated, heated and air conditioned shop. I'm not worried about deterioration.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-05-2015, 12:42 AM
A couple years ago, I bought four eight pound kegs of both WCC-844 and WCC-846, and two cases of Black.

If I live to be ninety (65 today), I might need more...

Shiloh
06-14-2016, 07:52 PM
I would probably shoot less if I knew I could not get powder anymore. I could shoot my rifles for a long time, but would run out of pistol powder in just a year or 2. Longer if I stopped using Unique in my cast rifle rounds.

Got a pound of Unique at Scheel's yesterday. Gonna get another tomorrow.

Shiloh

DerekP Houston
06-16-2016, 08:21 AM
I'd probably make it at least a few years before I'd have to touch to stock pile. I agree with the previous poster who said they would shoot less, as that what I did during the initial panic way back when.

Primers would run out before powder though.

tazman
06-16-2016, 12:22 PM
I just picked up some primers yesterday so It would be a while before I ran out of either primers or powder. My lead supply would run out sooner.

9w1911
06-16-2016, 03:23 PM
I am fresh out of primers and powder!

OS OK
06-16-2016, 03:28 PM
3-5 on Pistol powder/primer/projectiles
5-10 on rifle " " "

If shooting at the rate I shoot now.

GhostHawk
06-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Good for 8 to 10 years at current level of shooting.

I start having to shoot bad guys off my steps that changes.

I have been averaging about 1.5 lbs of Red Dot a year and maybe half a pound of IMR 4895.

RogerDat
06-23-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm hoping that I shoot more, not the same amount. Tough to say because if some supplies became scarce would load & shoot less. Or load lighter. 44 mag loaded more like 44 special, 357 like 38 special. Rifle is where I would get hurt, 5000 rounds to feed an auto loader would burn through a lot of powder. And 1000 rounds a year is not excessive, but if it got scarce again then only shoot 500 a year :-|

Lead I'm good for life. Unless I see anything good, because folks will trade powder or primers for lead when they might not sell it for cash.

Mica_Hiebert
07-26-2016, 09:54 PM
I don't have much powder but if I quit shooting recreationaly I would have enough ammo to.last quite a while...

dragon813gt
07-26-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm out.

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-26-2016, 10:30 PM
I'm a terrible hoarder. 10+ yr. My boys will love me when I'm gone. I hope the fire marshal doesn't follow this thread.

DerekP Houston
07-30-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm a terrible hoarder. 10+ yr. My boys will love me when I'm gone. I hope the fire marshal doesn't follow this thread.

I'm supposed to be saving money for a rainy day, but I can't resist looking at those sale ad's when they hit my email. I probably still need more primers for the amount of powder though.

daniel lawecki
07-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Well I'm lucky National Matches held here in Ohio. Went to Perry picked up 24Lbs of powder 5000 primers will head there Sunday for more supplies.

wolf3006
08-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Less than a year !

dragon813gt
08-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I ran out.

GhostHawk
08-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Just scored an 8 lb jug of Promo to keep my 8 of Red Dot company.
Keeps me shooting as I am for at least a decade, probably more as most of my loads are pretty mild.

JakeBlanton
12-06-2016, 08:52 AM
It's easier to stockpile the primers and powder for 30K rounds than it is to stockpile the lead for 30K rounds. Especially if you like shooting something like a .45-70 with heavy bullets. :)

375supermag
12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi...
I stocked up on primers and powder big time before the recent election.
I am good for several more years...maybe 6-8 years, depending on how much experimentation I do.
Still would like to build up my bullet supplies a bit more and I have an order for some new handgun brass that i need to finalize...probably after the holidays.

dtknowles
12-06-2016, 03:44 PM
It's easier to stockpile the primers and powder for 30K rounds than it is to stockpile the lead for 30K rounds. Especially if you like shooting something like a .45-70 with heavy bullets. :)

30K of 45-70, what you shooting a Gatlin Gun :-) That is a ton of lead, I think many here already have that and it only costs $2,000 if you had to buy it, the primers would be only $900. That leaves the powder, which could be all over the map depending on your load, I imagine it would be like 100 pounds so I am imagining that would be the big ticket and the major storage problem.

Tim

Tim

marlin39a
12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
The rest of my life. I invested heavily prior the election.

runfiverun
12-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I learned my lesson when the last Klinton was in office.
you couldn't get primers or 223 brass for love nor money they just were not available.
thankfully this go around the other Klinton didn't get in.

RogerDat
12-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I see where 6 months ago I speculated that my usage would adapt to supply availability. I don't think I have less today than I did then, and I'm thinking that is a trend line that will probably continue. Buy more than I use by a little bit or at the least replace with like amount.

I think the days of running an 8# jug down to the last 1# before ordering more are probably done and gone. More like use 3# and then buy a 4# to replace it with. I am in process of trying to create some bulk stock of loaded brass. Without drawing things too far down so I will still have some flexibility.

dverna
12-07-2016, 09:37 AM
I am surprised that over 75% have more than a 3 year supply. There sure has been a lot of whining over the last few years about supply. Maybe some of the grasshoppers have morphed into ants?

Don Verna

tazman
12-07-2016, 10:24 AM
In the last 6 months I spent a lot of time and money getting enough material and components to sustain my habits for at minimum 4 years. Hopefully, I can use up some of this supply without worrying about replacement during the next few years.

dg31872
12-07-2016, 04:23 PM
The rest of my life. I invested heavily prior the election.

+1.....

lightman
12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
I sold all of my primers and powder when it looked like Hillary would win, and donated the cash to her campaign!:-D Before that, I could have shot as much as I wanted for life and left components to my boys. Boy, was I fooled!

mozeppa
12-14-2016, 01:02 PM
at the same rate as now?

hmmm..........more than couple hundred years.

and ...yes, i do shoot.

tstowater
12-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Not near long enough. I will run out of shotgun components with two kids shooting before anything else. Still have enough shotgun shells loaded for a couple more years after running out of powder.

lawboy
01-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Depends ... on who is asking ...

GhostHawk
01-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Just received 8 lb jug of Red Dot from BPI. This puts me up to 30 pounds give or take a half pound in either direction.

In the past 3 years I have burned something like 4.5 pounds. So I can now safely say that I can increase my shooting from 1.5 to 2 pounds a year, and still have a 15 year supply. That puts me on the threshold of 80 and pretty good chance I won't shoot as much.

So I should still have some if the grandkids want to shoot.

<Insert large contented sigh here> Ahhhh life is good.

308Jeff
01-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Pistol, a very long time.
Rifle, not very long.

Texas by God
01-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Impossible for me to guess. Best, Thomas.

1988-4551
01-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Sooner than I like unless I improvise something.

jonp
03-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Doomsday

smalltownguy
03-31-2017, 10:46 AM
til I qualify for social security- 19 years

mjkonopka
03-31-2017, 12:25 PM
I can only afford to hoard one thing at a time. Currently I'm stocking up on brass, having to buy empty 55 gallon drums is expensive. Spring time I will start collecting lead. I have 10k SPP and roughly 20lbs of powder, primers should last me rest of this year. I usually pick up 2 cases of primers and a jug or two each gun show every few months.

GhostHawk
04-04-2017, 09:15 PM
I think I could easily stretch to 15 years with above my current rate of consumption.
And that is just talking the Red Dot/Promo. If I needed to get into the IMR 4895, 4350, and 3031 I could easily enough add 5 years to that.

Considering that I am turning 65 in half a year I think I can slow down on powder a bit.
Primer box is full and overflowing plus 2k of shotgun 209's. Lead stash is adequate for 3-5 years depending on caliber and boolit size.

Yet I still find myself eyeballing powder. Like the new IMR color powders. Red not so much, pound or 2 of green and blue might be nice. Can always use a pound or 2 of target (Bullseye) and unequal (Unique) BPI has them for fairly reasonable prices but I see most are short of a pound. 14 oz.

No rush though, wait and see a bit. l I did see that Bubba Roundtree seems to like the Blue in his buckshot loads.

smalltownguy
04-06-2017, 11:39 AM
just added 300 lbs of lino -should add several years

Guncrank
05-04-2017, 08:07 AM
I've finally arrived at the amount's of components necessary so that I no longer need to worry about any length of shortage or government created bottlenecks to the supplies of powders, primers, boolets or cases! The larder is well stocked! :drinks:

dg31872
05-04-2017, 08:32 AM
My grandchildren will be well stocked long after I am gone.

GhostHawk
05-04-2017, 08:35 AM
^ that is a worthy goal.

gpidaho
06-27-2017, 07:24 PM
I could shoot something for the rest of my life with powder on hand. I might run out of favorites in four to six months. Gp

John Boy
06-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Not a wise move to post one's powder inventory on a public forum - especially if you have more than the legal limit.

jmort
06-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Not a wise move to post one's powder inventory on a public forum - especially if you have more than the legal limit.

What is the legal limit???
Which entity/entities set it???

John Boy
06-28-2017, 12:03 PM
- "13-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness"

The above information is abstracted from;
Smokeless Powder & Primer Storage :: By Marshall Stanton on 2005-08-27
ref: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/60

The laws governing storage nationally state that if you're going to store over 20 lbs of powder for your personal use in a residence, you need a wooden box or cabinet with a nominal thickness of no less than 1 inch. Storing more than 50 lbs in your residence is in violation of the law.
Many cities have their own legal storage requirements - so check with your local gun smith for both smokeless and black powder

mort - being a frequent poster I am surprised you don't have a clue of powder storage requirements :groner:

jmort
06-28-2017, 12:07 PM
^^^
I believe that is a "recommendation" by a non-governmental entity, not a law.

I went to the link from Marshall

" Below is listed the synopsis of the National Fire Protection Association powder storage and transportation guidelines. These guidelines are self-explanatory, and should be followed closely, not only for compliance with the law..."

What law???

John Boy
06-28-2017, 12:19 PM
What law???mort - your turn, look them up

John Boy
06-28-2017, 12:32 PM
mort, for starters to help you out, here's the law in NJ ... http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/S2500/2055_I1.PDF

jmort
06-28-2017, 12:43 PM
I do not live in New Jersey

NoAngel
06-28-2017, 12:48 PM
50 pound? Jeez, there's a helluva lot of criminals around this place then.

I've known people who keep more than 50 pound of ONE TYPE of powder.

smalltownguy
07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
rifle lifetime
pistol 10 yrs

Markopolo
07-22-2017, 11:20 PM
I can make it almost indefinitely as I have lots of BP and am setup to shoot BP in rifle, shotshells, and pistol. I don't own a slide gun... but my wife would be very unhappy without her Sig's...

jarhead0321usmc
07-31-2017, 11:04 PM
After the last component shortage I swore I would never be in that same situation again. I've been stocking up and loading and storing to prepare for what ever the future may bring us. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it like the last time and not have it. Secondly I've always been the type that doesn't keep all of my eggs in one basket. I keep components at the in laws house. Buddies house. And so on. It also makes it easier to justify buying more to the wife. Especially when I can move a case of powder to my buddies house and convince her I'm running low.

izzyjoe
08-22-2017, 09:54 PM
I've been taking care of several family members, so I've not had any time to shoot, so at this rate I would say indefinitely. But fall is coming, so things will slow down and I can get back at it!

Eddie Southgate
10-07-2017, 11:15 PM
My great grandchildren (I don't have grandchildren yet ) should be able to pass on loading supplies from my stash to their grandchildren . I had at least 100 years supply before my father passed away at the end of August . I got all his stuff now so I figure I'm good for at least 75 years more than that .

Beagle333 ,

I agree 100% on the 1860 , mine is a Centennial New Model 1960 made in Belgium .

MyFlatline
10-08-2017, 05:50 PM
It's a hard thing to say, Some years, I will use 5 to 7 pounds of powder, some more, some less. To say I have a thousand pounds on hand would be a bold lie. If I could by no more, my usage would drop dramatically. I am set for a few elections on powder and quite a few on primers. I don't think I could ever say , I'm set for life.

Tenbender
10-08-2017, 07:45 PM
What is the legal limit ?

dragon813gt
10-21-2017, 04:42 PM
What is the legal limit ?

You need to find out what it is in your area. Every place is different. Mine is tied into UBC which references the NFPA guidelines that are posted often.

MOA
10-21-2017, 07:13 PM
If powders became unavailable I would start making my own BP.

opos
10-22-2017, 08:37 AM
I just turned 80...so I guess my "inventory" doesn't matter much...I do have 2 boxes of bb's for my garage shooting gallery and I got a list of who get's what when I "take the train" where guns, components and ammo are concerned..not much but enough to make some folks smile.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-22-2017, 05:38 PM
I just turned 80...so I guess my "inventory" doesn't matter much...I do have 2 boxes of bb's for my garage shooting gallery and I got a list of who get's what when I "take the train" where guns, components and ammo are concerned..not much but enough to make some folks smile.

Happy birthday

jeepguy242
10-23-2017, 12:13 AM
my fathers gun shop / bullet casting company closed last year... i cleaned out his basement and i have so much powder left.

he doesn't reload anymore, or cast anymore... so he has me loading all of the ammo we shoot now...

i have over 800 pounds of powder here i have been selling off little at a time.... but right now nobody is buying. so i am stuck with it..... I'm going to start listing it here soon to try and thin out the stock... there are some powders i will never use,

BUCKEYE BANDIT
10-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Not til I run out of Whiskey,and I haven't had a drink for almost 30 yrs.

lightman
02-14-2018, 06:49 AM
At one time I tried to keep a years supply of components on hand. Over the years I have changed that to 2 election cycles or 8 years.

shdwlkr
02-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Run out first I think I would need some powder and since I don't have any I guess the answer must be I already did run out. Best of luck to those who have powder and reloading components as I am guessing things will get tight again soon.

pull the trigger
05-17-2018, 08:02 PM
I currently have enough to last me the rest of my life realistically. But I still buy more if I see stuff I want to try. I never seem to have enough lead or primers.

aws1963
05-17-2018, 08:31 PM
I'd be out too soon. Need a better storage solution.

MT Gianni
05-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Anyone who has not taken time to fill in their needs this past year was asleep the previous five years. Don't be whining when it re-occurs.

bangerjim
05-19-2018, 05:45 PM
VERY old thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I have enough powder to last me at least 20 years! Back then.......not so much.

Tons of powder out there now.......in any form you wish, so absolutely no excuse for lack of powder. Unless you are dead broke.

cjensen
05-19-2018, 06:39 PM
I will not run out. The Clinton **** made that my goal. Goal met.

Arkansas Paul
03-04-2019, 03:53 PM
I voted 10+ years. In all honesty it's enough to last the rest of my life at my current rate.
This is not because I have a huge stockpile of ammunition, it is because I hardly ever get to the range anymore.
I bet I didn't fire 200 rounds last year, and have yet to pull the trigger this year.

School will be over in 2 years, so hopefully I will get back to the range at least a couple times a month.

GhostHawk
03-16-2019, 08:36 AM
Last check I was sitting on something like 28.5 to 29 lbs of Red Dot/Promo.

Barring TEOTWAWKI, major ****, I won't run out. As I ease my way through my mid 60's I am shooting and casting less. Most of what I do shoot is extremely thrifty on powder/lead. Like .32sw longs with 2 grains of Red Dot below a Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone tumble lubed cast. Biggest cost on these is the 3 cents for primer. Someday I'll run out of all the old cheap ones and that will go up a smidge. Still reasonable.

I anticipate leaving a good stash of powder, primers, lead for my grandchildren.
And I have a 6 yr old grand daughter who just might be bold enough to be willing to learn how to make it all work.

One way or another someone is going to inherit a nice stash of single shot rifles, pistols and all the tools to make their own ammo. That's ok by me.

dale2242
04-21-2019, 08:34 AM
More than I will likely never shoot what I have all up.
Obama made me do it....dale

Winger Ed.
04-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Rifle powder, a year or so.

The other day I got a big yellow steel can of Bullseye that I use in a toned down .45ACP for $40.
It'll probably last longer than I will.

NWPilgrim
04-23-2019, 08:59 PM
247 years.

Actually of my most used cartridges somewhere between 5-10 years at current rate. But getting into less used cartridges likely another 10 years. For me this is minimal comfort zone given multiple past supply droughts. Oh yeah, if you include .22lr then add another 10-15 years.

Some of the “excess” is from stocking up on certain powders and bullets at one point and then switching to different ones and building inventory of those as well.

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Hmm I thought I had already replied to this it may of already been mentioned that if it comes to this most of my firearms are black compatible and I'll just make it as I need it. Might be something to consider In this day and age

Thunder1964
04-23-2019, 09:42 PM
I'm about out now

rbuck351
04-23-2019, 10:58 PM
I'll never run out of powder, primers, lead for boolits or 22lr even if I shoot 4 times my current rate. I'll run out of time first. I learned my lesson from a primer shortage in the 1970s IIRC.

Handloader109
04-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Didn't need the powder, but got 4 pounds of titegroup coming and another case of primers. Always short of primers it seems. Snuck in at free shipping and free hazmat at brownells last night. Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

alamogunr
04-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Back in post #80, I said that I probably had enough to last me the rest of my days. That post was made almost 4 years ago. Since then life, such as we older folks encounter, has interfered with my shooting and reloading. My current guess is that I won't use more than half of my stash.

Same goes for primers and lead.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Back in post #80, I said that I probably had enough to last me the rest of my days. That post was made almost 4 years ago. Since then life, such as we older folks encounter, has interfered with my shooting and reloading. My current guess is that I won't use more than half of my stash.

Same goes for primers and lead.

I would shoot a lot less then why rush it

RogerDat
05-23-2019, 05:39 AM
I would shoot a lot less then why rush it That is the funny thing many don't take into account. The harder something is to replace either because of cost or general scarcity the less inclined we are to use it indiscriminately. If primers went to $55 a thousand I'm guessing many would use their $32 a thousand primers as if they cost them $55 already. Because to replace them will.

Less I have or can get the more likely I am to ration what I do have. So in effect I expect many of us have a supply that will last a lifetime because as time goes on we will replace some things, use less and buy less of others. Myself and many others post 2013 shortages adopted a use it replace it process so essentially won't have any less until we stop buying more. If I see 3 empty powder jugs on the "empty" shelf spot I'm going to store or show to replace them. I do my spring casting and use 100# then I'm going to go find 100# of lead to replace it. It will last the rest of my life unless I decide to let it run down because I think my reloading or casting days are coming to an end. Even then it would last for a long time if as the other poster said I cut back my activities to accommodate age related limitations.

I should also point out the poll is only about powder. An item that one might easily reduce consumption of by switching to a smaller charge or a denser powder so they use less. Not to mention shooting less uses less. And if I had to make what I have last I would shoot less so I could shoot longer.

6bg6ga
06-09-2019, 06:19 AM
Not a good idea to state the number of rounds you have on hand or the quantity of powder or bullets. Inquiring minds want to know this information and will pass it on.

Eddie Southgate
09-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Never.

alamogunr
09-16-2019, 11:56 PM
I won't ever run out but I'm thinking of my sons and grandsons. I'll evaluate things over the next couple of days.

Gew
09-17-2019, 12:22 AM
I only need and stock what Nancy Pelosi deems necessary.

savage308
01-10-2020, 06:22 PM
back years ago when I worked and had plenty of extra cash I bought lots of powder, primers, boolits, molds, and friends gave me lots of wheel weights. now i'm retired and all I do is cast, load, and shoot and I will never run out. BUT I still go to gun shows and pick up bargains.

dverna
01-13-2020, 11:15 AM
back years ago when I worked and had plenty of extra cash I bought lots of powder, primers, boolits, molds, and friends gave me lots of wheel weights. now i'm retired and all I do is cast, load, and shoot and I will never run out. BUT I still go to gun shows and pick up bargains.

You must be my brother!!! I stopped going to gun shows as the bargains disappeared but still scan the on-line sales.

When I was working, I called my stash my "Reloading 401k" investment.

Freightman
02-13-2020, 07:15 PM
I will run out of powder about the time I turn 100 if I don't buy any more. That is only 20 years from now

Hueyville
05-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Started reloading at age 12, bought my first press at age 13 and had a 90 minute drive to Atlanta to get powder back then so have always stockpiled all components. Am now 57 hoping to retire between 60 and 67 but when go on fixed income and have lots of free time will need a lot of ammo to keep going. Have 60 foot indoor range at work and shoot an average of 300 to 500 rounds of centerfire handgun, mostly 45 per week. Have 75 yard outdoor range at home plus nice rifle and pistol range 20 minutes from home and total average is about 500 rounds of handgun, 200 to 300 rounds of rifle and 200 rounds mixed handgun/rifle rim fire per week. Have purchased over $2,500 in loaded commercial ammo already in 2020. Some cartridges if have to buy brass loaded ammo is cheaper than loading. Have 20,000 5.56 cases prepped to run now when finish a big 6.8 and 7.62×51 run going now.

Eight pound jugs don't last long and lately been using a vendor with good pricing if buy 32 pound lots. Have enough powder and primers for over a decade, closing in on two decades. When retire and on fixed income don't want to have to get part time job to buy components, especially if H.R. 5717 (currently attached to a stimulus bill by Dems) passes which adds 50% tax on all ammo and components. Have to consider the political aspects as well. One of my shooting friends recently passed at age 97 and had I not been able to help him he could not have shot during Sandy Hook panic. He shot 22 Hornets and 38 special regularly up to age 97. I am trying to put back enough ammo and components for 1,200 mixed rounds per week for minimum of 25 years.

clearwater
11-30-2020, 10:48 PM
Primers are going for $125 a brick locally in trade. Not available otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit $200.

SSGOldfart
12-01-2020, 08:49 AM

About same here

GhostHawk
12-01-2020, 09:07 AM
When I first answered this poll I think I answered 5 years or so.

In that time prices have gone up, I have added to powder, primers, lead stashes significantly, and the covid has significantly reduced my shooting. I have also significantly increased my rimfire stash of .22lr and .22mag.

To the point that even though I am home every day, have the time, my interest or need to cast/reload remains very low.
I know I'm sitting pretty. So I think I can pretty honestly say I think I have a lifetime supply of everything I need.

That does not mean that given supply and reasonable prices I would not add to it, because I would.
I'd just about double my primer stash.

GregLaROCHE
12-03-2020, 06:08 AM
I’ve got plenty of BP since that’s what I’m mostly into these days. If I started shooting smokless like before, I d be pressed to last a year.

wildwilly501
12-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Good to see a lot of old school salt of the earth people.I bet a lot of you have never been late on a bill.Don't wait till the middle of a blizzard and call the township and raise hell because the fuel or propane truck can't get it.When I retired went to work for the local rural township never realized till then how many people can't or won't do anything.I know some won't like this but most of the ones that way are from town wanted to get away but brought their town ways with them the old time residents pretty much take care of themselves.

Nobade
12-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Since our gun club stopped having matches due to the covid restrictions I just shoot by myself either with muzzle loaders or sometimes BPCR rifles. There's no point in running through hundreds of rounds per month if you're not competing so at the current rate my supplies will last a lot longer than I do. My big deal is what do I do with this stuff when I'm too old to use it? I'd really like to cut down on stuff now but most of what I have is for old people who know ow to use it, not clueless young people who only know how to load magazines and throw lead.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Stopped by my LGS yesterday just to wish them a merry Christmas. Found a bottle of HP 38 so I snapped it up. Think I have about 18 lbs. of powder and about 9k primers. 500 lbs of lead as well. About 400 primed LC 308 brass too.

mike4045
12-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Good for a few years, but still want to stay ahead of the curve, I do not want to have to worry about not being able to replenish every time I go shooting.