PDA

View Full Version : Thought for the day.

hpdrifter
01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
For Lee Hand Press and Classic Cast guys, both of the BreechLok variety.

Responding to a post yesterday, I looked up the cost of a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. I didn't even know they made it with the BreechLok option.
I bought mine when they first came out; $88.00 I believe.

The thought: Wouldn't it be great if Lee would set specs for the top of the ram in the upstroke position on both presses to be ± a couple thousandths of tolerance to the top of the die holder/hole. You could then use the insert adapted die in either press without needing adjustment. Check of course!!

Maybe this is already. I don't have a Breechlok Classic Cast. Kinda wished mine was tho.

Just a thought! Maybe a bit frivolous and unobtainium, but................

jmorris
01-24-2015, 10:12 AM
They could do that but then both would cost more.

hpdrifter
01-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Maybe, it was just a thought.

mdi
01-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Doable, but for a mass produced item, the tolerances on all the associated parts would have to be tightened up quite a bit, which would necessitate closer machining, closer inspection, and prolly cost a lot more. The linkage, ram machining, frame/casting dimentions would have to be nearly dead-nut for a +/- .010" tolerance at the breech-lock/die...

VHoward
01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Besides, on the breechlock classic cast single stage, they ruined the spent primer collection system.

hpdrifter
01-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Besides, on the breechlock classic cast single stage, they ruined the spent primer collection system.

How so? I haven't seen the Breechlock variety.

r1kk1
01-24-2015, 09:06 PM
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/single-stage/

See the difference?

r1kk1

texassako
01-24-2015, 09:17 PM

How is it ruined? It looks just like my Challenger that I run the hose into a coffee can and empty once every long while. Maybe 1 every few hundred misses the hole.

For the OP, I find the breech lock system fairy useless on my Challenger. I would need dozens of the bushings and then still adjust such dies as 38/357 for the different lengths, or buy extra dies and bushings.

VHoward
01-24-2015, 11:21 PM
I had the breechlock challenger. The primers come out the side of the ram and on mine about every other one would miss the chute it was supposed to go down and end up on the floor. That press now sits in a junk box. I bought the classic cast single stage (non breechlock version) where the spent primers go straight down the hollow ram and exit into the collection tube right at the bottom of the ram. I never have a spent primer on the floor anymore. The classic cast turret has the same spent primer collection as my classic cast single stage. Why they decided to change the spent primer collection method when they added the breechlock feature I don't know.

hpdrifter
01-25-2015, 01:01 AM
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/single-stage/

See the difference?

r1kk1

Yeah, kinda looks.....................yucky.

hpdrifter
01-25-2015, 01:04 AM
For the OP, I find the breech lock system fairy useless on my Challenger. I would need dozens of the bushings and then still adjust such dies as 38/357 for the different lengths, or buy extra dies and bushings.

I haven't used the Breech Lock either. Just thought if the two different presses were set up that way, it might be real handy.

r1kk1
01-25-2015, 01:25 AM
If you have the CC you can use the LNL conversion kit in it.

I had the non breechlock Challenger. It sucked at primer disposal. The only thing that failed on it was the linkage. A decade or two later, Lee upgraded to the steel linkage. Too late.

Many presses have great primer disposal.

Take care

r1kk1

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-25-2015, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=r1kk1;3106761]If you have the CC you can use the LNL conversion kit in it.[QUOTE]

I have this setup with my Lee Classic Cast and I got a hands on check of the Lee breechlock setup. I prefer the Hornady Lock N Load conversion kit and bushings over the breechlock setup at first glance. I don't know if the CC could be converted to the breechlock, but I doubt it. I haven't tried the Lee breechlock system. Who knows, it may be a good system. Perhaps Lee should think on making a version with a conversion kit for the Classic Cast.