PDA

View Full Version : Hogue grips

longhorn
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I've bought 2 Hogue grips in the last 3 months, and am extremely pleased. One is the soft rubber "tamer" model for a Super Redhawk. Dramatic reduction in felt recoil. The second grip is a standard soft rubber model for the Ruger SP101; this gun is one of the first I found without the "125gr." limitation, so I've had it for years. Sturdy, accurate, and heavy, but it pounds my hand with most grips--and I've got a small grocery sack full of rejects! Never fun to practice with--but these new Hogues are outstanding for "feel," control, and recoil reduction. If you have a revolver that beats you up, I suggest trying Hogue. I've had their non-rubber (nylon?) grips in the past, and wasn't particularly impressed, but these soft rubber ones are great! BTW, no affiliation--I paid full retail for mine via their website.

Whitworth
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes indeed, the Tamers are great grips! I tried the factory pieces on my Super Redhawk in .475 Linbaugh and found them lacking -- but not horrible. I then tried the Hogue wraparounds which really sucked -- for lack of a better and more scientific term, and then I discovered the Tamers.........very nice!! I have posted a photo of all three and a picture of the inside of the Tamers where you can clearly see the urethane pad that rests in the web of your hand......

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC02657.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC02656.jpg

Whitworth
02-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Forgot to add that in the photo of the three, the one on the left is the Tamer, middle is the Hogue wraparound, and the one on the right is the factory grip.

454PB
02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
You still need a glove for extended shooting sessions when using the Hogue grips. The rubber is so sticky it pulls your skin with the hard kickers.

Whitworth
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I found that to be more true when shooting single actions with rubber grips as they roll up in your hand whereas the DA Redhaks and SRHs push back. I where a glove for the extra padding provided as I only shoot full-tilt loads in my Linebaugh.

454PB
02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I shoot three .454 Casulls....Ruger SRH, Taurus RB, and F.A. 83. The SRH has me bleeding within 15 shots without a glove, and it has Hogue grippers on it. Surprisingly, the F.A. is the least abusive. It has Pachmyers on it.

Whitworth
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Which Hogues are on your SRH? The .454 SRH is abusive, isn't it?!:mrgreen:

longhorn
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the pictures, Whitworth. My gun came with the wraparounds, but I discovered by perusing the current Gun Digest today that the SRH Alaskan, at least, comes with the Tamer--good move by Ruger. Interestingly, I have always felt that the Pachmayrs were "stickier" than these new Hogues, but I haven't bought any new packys in years. Why are most grips designed so that the biggest circumference of the grip is at the bottom, where my hand is also largest? Holdover from the "roll in the hand" single actions, I guess. I'm glad Hogue thinks differently.

454PB
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I called them grippers, but they are actually monogrips.

I'll never forget the first time I fired my F.A. with 330 gr. cast boolits at around 1500 fps.
I was wearing a baseball cap, and the barrel hit the bill of the cap and knocked it and my earmuffs off.

Whitworth
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
454PB -- you need to ditch the wraparounds. They are hard as rocks next to the Tamers. They make a world of difference. I still have the wraparounds on my Casull, but I don't shoot it much since I got my .475. The .475 is really abusive and well it is a different beast with the Tamers. I highly recommend them!