PDA

View Full Version : Hey Marlin, Let Us Tell You What We Want!

Four-Sixty
01-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a "Kickstarter" or something similar for guns? I keep seeing people speculate about the demand for guns in a given caliber. They say the bean counters won't go for things like a lever gun in 32 Mag for example. They say there won't be enough demand. How about they, the bean counters, the manufacturers, take deposits on a given gun? Let us vote with our wallet as to what gets made. The gun companies can get a quick sample/test of the demand for a firearm. Just put up a page on their company site. Let people plunk down a $100 deposit on a given gun. The first gun that makes it to their minimum production level gets made. If the minimum production level is not met within say, 90 days, they don't go into production on that gun and people get their deposit back. The manufacturers would get real-time feedback as to what the market wants.

Why aren't any of the manufactures doing this?

btroj
01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Because they are selling plenty they way they are doing things now. If there was a glut of unsold guns they might change but when stuff sells as quick as it is made why change a thing?

01-23-2015, 11:09 AM
And I don't want to buy a gun I can't handle first.

hornady308
01-23-2015, 12:34 PM
I'd love to see more of the Marlin Cowboy models, especially one in .375 Winchester. I have one in 38-55 and assume it would handle hotter loads along the lines of the .375, but stay at 38-55 levels just to be safe.

Tackleberry41
01-23-2015, 01:11 PM
As already said, in many cases they are having no issues moving what they do market now. So no real need to worry about what a few might want. Another part of it is names like Marlin, not really a company anymore, is owned by wall street types. They only look at the math, how many units can they move at a set price point and profit. A smaller niche market is not really their concern, not enough units can be moved. More money to be made elsewhere. As long as thats the thinking in the office, they will not be taking deposits anytime soon. Others its simply, they believe they know what people want, you may say but I want this, they say no you really dont you want to buy what we market. Glock is like that, they decide what you want. People are scooping up single stack compact 9s, so we will make it in 380, people will buy them anyways.

Often times it has to come from someplace else. Glock has pretty much had the market for their ever so popular mags, could charge what they wanted, it was either that or korean mags. Well magpul is about to change all that, glock isnt going to be happy watching a big chunk of their money going to another company. How long before $30 glock mags are $20 or $15? Its doubtful they really have that much in producing those mags. Probably make more money on mags than selling guns.

trapper9260
01-23-2015, 01:55 PM
I wonder if any of them would ever come out with a 327fed mag lever,it would be something to see.

lbaize3
01-23-2015, 03:10 PM
I would spend money on a 327 lever gun!

Scharfschuetze
01-23-2015, 05:52 PM
I would spend money on a 327 lever gun!

Me too! A long barreled rifle with a button magazine would be a hoot and just the ticket for small game with 32 Longs and coyotes with the magnum round.

I guess I'll just have to soldier on with my 1894CL in 32/20. :)

JohnH
01-23-2015, 10:09 PM
What they should really do is take a hint from Remington and make a special run each year of a special chambering, a Marlin Classic you could say... One year the '94 could be offered in 32-20 or 25-20, the following year the 336 could be offered in say 40-65 or 375. There are a number of older cartridges which made their name in lever guns which enough folk would buy to justify limited runs of this kind.

osteodoc08
01-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Make mine a 41 mag. Sold my 2 when times were tough. Miss them very much, esp the CCL.

Remiel
01-23-2015, 10:17 PM
i would just like a good 35rem or 44 mag that i can afford

RJM52
01-25-2015, 04:50 PM
My wish list....

39A Carbine...as in 20" round tapered barrel with the front sight dovetailed into the barrel instead of a ramp with 3/4 magazine. I have one of the 60s vintage ones and they are the best handling of all the 39s. Even a 20" Mountie would be a nice addition.

Don't remember what the exact model numbers are but a friend of mine has two 1894s that are like the above described Carbine...one is in 32-20 and the other in 25-20. Would be nice to see a whole run of these in .357. .41, .44 and .45 Colt.

Stainless Trapper 16.5" Carbines like the LTD series. I have one in .41 Magnum and everyone wants to buy it from me...most calibers go for over $2K. Everyone seems to love short levers and it is a shame no one makes a decent one. And on the other end I would love to have a 24" octagon .41..

Marlin at one time made a run of 336s in .35 Remington with an 18.5" barrel in stainless with 2/3s magazine...another one you never find and when you do they are expensive.

They did say last year that another run of .41s was being considered....

Too bad they don't have a line to the President like Ruger does...someone over there seems to be listening to their customers...

Bob

Salmoneye
01-25-2015, 04:57 PM
I wish that Marlington would start by actually manufacturing and selling the guns they catalog now...

An 1894C would be nice to see...

W.R.Buchanan
01-25-2015, 06:53 PM
The one biggest problem that Mfg's face everyday, is the fact that people ALWAYS want something slightly different that what you already make. I have faced this for nearly 40 years in business and I deal with it by providing what people need as opposed to what they think they want.

Ruger is currently facing a .300 BLK phase that most outfits in the gun industry consider to be a FAD. Some people are saying they want a .300BLK Scout, however there is no earthly good reason to produce this as it is going to be problematic at best,, and the Scout's image would be tarnished if it didn't work out. Also why when a .308 will do anything the BLK will do,,, better. Also why do versions in .243 .260 Rem.7/08, .338Fed or .358 when there are plenty of hunting rifles made in those calibers to begin with? Just because you want one with the Scout Look? Ain't gonna happen.

One guy actually sent a letter to the President of Ruger, demanding that Mark Gurney be fired for defiling the Scout with the .233 cartridge that "Jeff Cooper" never intended!

They are doing a test run of .300BLK in the Ruger American Rifle and if that goes good and sales are up there then you "Might See" the .300blk on the Mini 14 Platform which is a much better platform for the cartridge anyway.

No guys people always want something just a little different than what you make and the solution is the either buy what they do make, or make it yourself.

One of the most blatant examples of this phenomenon at the SHOT Show last week was the "VZ Handgun Grips" display which was 20 feet long and 4 feet high covered with every variation of 1911 grips known to man. There was a line 40 feet long with people wanting something different.

I could not believe it!

So when you have a problem with a company not producing what you want, and I live with this every day,. maybe the solution is for you to figure out a way to make what you want.

This is what I do.

Nobody makes a Diesel Jeep. I do.

Randy

runfiverun
01-25-2015, 10:25 PM
I'd settle for them just making a decent rifle with a good barrel and chambered straight.
I might then buy another marlin to go with my 375.

if it were in 38-40 o, 41 mag or 32-20 that'd be even better.

TXGunNut
01-26-2015, 12:34 AM
Why aren't any of the manufactures doing this?- Four-Sixty

Below reasons are good but quite simply manufacturers don't sell to individuals and the logistics of this group buy format would be an unwanted nightmare for Remington/Marlin. Besides, they think they know what we want and have already invested the time and money to make it happen. If you think they're wrong, vote with your wallet.

Salmoneye
01-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Nobody makes a Diesel Jeep. I do.

Randy

Now if you only made it with a CJ8 (Scrambler) frame/tub, with a full removable hard top, DANA 44 front and rear, 5-speed, and a DANA 300 with a twin stick shifter, you'd have a winner...

Aint I a stinker?

ballistim
01-26-2015, 12:38 PM
336XLR in .357 Maximum.

W.R.Buchanan
01-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Salmoneye: It is a CJ-8? with my custom built frame since a regular CJ8 Frame wouldn't have supported the extra weight of the 4BT Cummins motor which weighs 750lbs. And it has an HP D44 front with ARB Airlocker, and a HP D60 with an Airlocker in the rear.

It also has a TH400 with a US Gear OD for 6 speeds forward in high range and an Atlas 4.3 Transfercase with a Twin Stick Shifter.

It also has a full length hardtop and Yukon Denali Seats.

I designed and built this thing to take care of every problem that a normal CJ-8 has, all the weak points have been addressed and the one big item,,, The diesel engine, has been addressed as well. Nobody makes an Offroad Capable Diesel Powered Jeep for the US . However they are available in every other country in the world but the US and they are made right here by Chrysler/Jeep in Toledo Ohio!

Not even Marlin is that big a "*****s" to make something that is wanted here and yet not sell it here.

That's why I made this. I might add that,,, "I made it for ME!"

Randy

FergusonTO35
01-26-2015, 04:25 PM
How 'bout lever actions with forends that aren't as wide as an ocean liner and barrels not obviously canted to the left or right? That would be a good start!

Salmoneye
01-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Salmoneye: It is a CJ-8? with my custom built frame since a regular CJ8 Frame wouldn't have supported the extra weight of the 4BT Cummins motor which weighs 750lbs. And it has an HP D44 front with ARB Airlocker, and a HP D60 with an Airlocker in the rear.

It also has a TH400 with a US Gear OD for 6 speeds forward in high range and an Atlas 4.3 Transfercase with a Twin Stick Shifter.

It also has a full length hardtop and Yukon Denali Seats.

I designed and built this thing to take care of every problem that a normal CJ-8 has, all the weak points have been addressed and the one big item,,, The diesel engine, has been addressed as well. Nobody makes an Offroad Capable Diesel Powered Jeep for the US . However they are available in every other country in the world but the US and they are made right here by Chrysler/Jeep in Toledo Ohio!

Not even Marlin is that big a "*****s" to make something that is wanted here and yet not sell it here.

That's why I made this. I might add that,,, "I made it for ME!"

Randy

MEA CULPA!

I did not enlarge the 3rd pic (and did not have my old-timer glasses on)...

You indeed have a WINNER!

W.R.Buchanan
01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Well thank you, I 've only got 9 years in this build! it runs but is not drivable yet. maybe this year.

Randy

quilbilly
01-30-2015, 03:25 PM
336XLR in .357 Maximum. You would have to race me to buy one and I am a half-cripple.

missionary5155
01-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Greetings
Any Supermag caliber ! Just so they start with 414. If-en I can do it they surely can and do so far better. But I bet theirs would be beyond my idea of affordability.
Any one know how many "Special Order" rifles would have to be ordered to get them made ? But then with all the problems the present "brand" seems to have maybe it would be a bad idea / investment.
Mike in Peru