PDA

View Full Version : RECALL: AmericanReloading.com 110/296

Valley-Shooter
01-23-2015, 01:54 AM
I got a call from AmericanReloading.com today.
They are recalling their Commercial 110/296 powder that I just bought. My order was placed January 1st.
One of their regular customers had a problem when loading 300 Blackout. Something about the burn rate isn't right.

They are sending me replacement powder on Monday.

I guess it's good that I got lazy and didn't go to range after I loaded 50 rounds. I was working up a load and ten of those rounds are max loads.

Tatume
01-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Hi Shooter,

That's an interesting web site. Right now they only have two pistol powders, but the price isn't bad. Do you know anything about them? How are they able to sell commercial powders, as opposed to canister powders? Do they buy in bulk and repackage the powder into their own bottles?

Take care, Tom

Valley-Shooter
01-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Hi Shooter,

That's an interesting web site. Right now they only have two pistol powders, but the price isn't bad. Do you know anything about them? How are they able to sell commercial powders, as opposed to canister powders? Do they buy in bulk and repackage the powder into their own bottles?

Take care, Tom

I don't know much about them, but many of there products pulldown parts of commercial ammo.

9w1911
01-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Seriously they need to go out of business, WC844 for 200+!!
Yea no thanks, I will never ever support this company.

Moonie
01-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Sounds fishy, Hodgdon have anything on a recall of their powder?

BK7saum
01-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Seriously they need to go out of business, WC844 for 200+!!
Yea no thanks, I will never ever support this company.

But that is free shipping included. It that includes the hazmat charge your looking at $35-$40. So $170 for the 8 lb jug and the rest for shipping and hazmat.

9w1911
01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
You can buy new powder with updated data for that cost.

BK7saum
01-23-2015, 02:51 PM
I do not disagree with you, & I would buy new powder for that cost. However it's not quite as expensive as it first seemed due to the included shipping. Still way too rich for my blood, but if you needed the powder that's not too unreasonable.

9w1911
01-23-2015, 04:19 PM
I missed where it said hazmat included

Dakotared
01-23-2015, 07:49 PM
I got the same warning. I have all ready loaded up a few hundred in 300 BO and shot them. Guess I got lucky that my powder is fine. What they are claiming happened is a few jugs got mislabeled and they had a burn rate of W231 not H110.

r6487
01-24-2015, 01:02 PM
if you read the posts in the forum about csb-1 & csb-5 pistol powder you will find american reloading has been getting maxam (spanish) powders (used in RIO brand ammo) which will work for pistol and shotgun. they have been repacking it and advertising it as pistol powder and quite a few folks here have purchased csb-1 & csb-5 to substitute for their needs. i purchased 8 lbs of csb-5 myself. since I have ordered they have changed the format and have included the hazmat fee in their posted price. I am assuming their 110/296 powder may be an equiavent european powder and not actual 110/296. when i ordered price was $167.00 for 8 lbs. with hazmat & shipping total was $214.00 (shipped from WA to AR) What I have heard assumed is the Maxam powder is in Canada and they're importing it over to WA and repackaging.

Dakotared
02-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Just an update to this. As I said the powder I got from them is what I ordered. Shoots great, meters great, all around great powder. The company is even better to work with. I got my last bank statement and saw they refunded my money. I called them asking if it was a mistake and he said it was not. I told him the powder I got was what I ordered and that I wanted to make sure he knew that. He said keep the powder and the money for the trouble!! 8 lbs of free powder!! I will buy from him again.

Tatume
02-06-2015, 08:02 PM
!!!!!

Valley-Shooter
02-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Dakotared,

Glad u got your money back.
I didn't. I got CSB-1 as a replacement plus about 100 44 pulled jacketed bullets.

jonp
02-07-2015, 05:36 AM
I am kinda curious about your getting a new lot of powder and loading up max loads with it right off the bat without working up.

Artful
02-07-2015, 09:37 AM
I am kinda curious about your getting a new lot of powder and loading up max loads with it right off the bat without working up.

Sounds like he loaded starting working up to max

I guess it's good that I got lazy and didn't go to range after I loaded 50 rounds. I was working up a load and ten of those rounds are max loads.

jonp
02-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Sounds to me, Artful, like he loaded 5 ten round test batches and one was max without starting with one at the btm to see how it did

tazman
02-07-2015, 01:30 PM
If he is like me and has to drive a long distance to a range or can only get there once a week, loading a ladder set begining at the bottom and loading sets all the way to the to the top makes sense.
If there is a problem during testing he can always just stop at that level and pull the rest. It is easier to pull 50 rounds than to make repeated trips to the range to determine each set's usability.

I do that kind of development because it saves time and driving. And yes, from time to time I have to pull down some loads. Not a problem, just an inconvenience.

bluelund79
02-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be keeping an eye on that powder for reviews. Having more choices in these times is never a bad thing

Valley-Shooter
02-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Sounds like he loaded starting working up to max
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3104013#post3104013)

Yes, Artful you are correct.

I split my box of 50 into four groups. Starting at the minimum load and progressing to the max in 1/2 grain increments. 21.6 grains to 23.0 grains. 44 Magnum.

I thought everyone did load testing this way. Shooting a whole box of minimum loads would get real boring.

Lewischuck2000
02-10-2015, 01:45 PM
I bought 8# of this powder also and got the call and replacement powder. I'm having a hard time throwing this powder out. Is there any safe way to see if this powder really is h110? I have a pound of real h110 and it looks the same. I'm planning on checking the densities and burning some in parallel lines to see if they burn at the same rate. If they still appear to be the same after these tests would it be safe to try some 44mag loads? And then some 300blk which is what I got it for? Are there any other tests I could do?
Thanks, Chuck

Doc holmes
03-05-2015, 11:47 AM
I bought 8 lbs of their csb 5 several months ago. Have been reloading 9mm and 45acp. I've been happpy with the results, and seems to be the only place to find pistol powder right now. I tried logging into their site this morning and can't connect. Anyone else having that problem?