PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

Slamminsam
01-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to reloading and recently made 50 rounds for .40 cal using cast bullets that I lubed and sized to .401. When I had completed the rounds I noticed that I could see profile of the bullet throug the casing. It looked buldged out. Regardless of this all 50 rounds fired flawlessly. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Bzcraig
01-22-2015, 11:16 PM
I see that sometimes in my 9's but if it fits in your chamber no worries

Yodogsandman
01-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the site! I'm sure you did great! That's a common condition. How'd they shoot?

You could pull a boolit to see if it's being sized down by the tight case body. If it is you could get a larger diameter expander die to fix it. I'd first let the gun tell you...did it shoot good with no leading?

454PB
01-22-2015, 11:19 PM
That's not uncommon and in your case, it means the brass is thicker than normal, your resizing die is sizing smaller than normal, the expander plug is undersized, or some combination of all. As long as the boolit isn't deformed or sized down by the tight fit, it's not a problem.

Slamminsam
01-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses, they shot great with no leading!

bhn22
01-23-2015, 01:22 AM
You're in good shape. You're probably using carbide dies, and many of them size cases excessively, leading to the "snake swallowed a pig" look of the finished rounds. One thing to watch for is the bulge being more pronounced on one side than the others. This would suggest that the bullet may not be getting seated straight.