PDA

View Full Version : Custom made expander plugs for M die?

gloob
01-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Can anyone direct me to a source for custom made expander plugs for M dies? I am an occasional visitor, here, and I seem to recall someone offering their skills for this kind of service.

My problem is I just bought a .40/10mm M die, but the plug only measures .3965-.397. And the step only measures .401. This is too small for jacketed bullets, even. The length of the plug is just about perfect for the bullet I plan to use. It's just too skinny. MBC bullets are shaved when seating. I haven't pulled and measured a boolit, yet, but I don't need to. I know this plug is too small.

I have opened a ticket with Lyman, but it has been an entire week and haven't gotten a reply, yet. I just want to start shooting some boolits.

I am thinking I want the expander plug to be .3990" and the flare to be .4020-.4025" for loading .4010-.4015" cast bullets.

MakeMineA10mm
01-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Look up member Buckshot here and send him a PM. He's done mould work for me and is a good machinist. This sounds like his kind of project. He's very reasonable on price too.

gloob
01-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Great. Thanks for the fast response. PM sent. I hope he's still game.

Nueces
01-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Another option is Buffalo Arms. Go to their site and search for 'custom expanders.'

edctexas
01-22-2015, 10:42 PM
You also look at using the Lee expander with a plug from NOE. He sellss the plugs in different sizes, and will make other custom sizes. He also sells the Lee die to mount the expander plug in. Might be cheaper. $20 lee die $7 for the expander.

Ed C

gloob
01-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Buckshot got back to me fast, and his price for a custom plug is great. But a Lyman employee finally responded at the same time. He agrees my plug is out of spec. It's supposed to be .398 with a .402 flare. So a new plug is on the way to me.

I'm glad to know of some other options, anyway. I really like the NOE option and might try it. Even if it's the same price, at least the plug can't unscrew!