PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45/70 1895 cowboy tang sight

120Rick
01-22-2015, 01:43 PM
last year my wife bought me a Marlin 45/70 1895 for my birthday from a friend of ours that was moving away. Its came with a scope on it but would like to put some type of tang sight on it instead. Always liked lever actions, my other lever guns (25/35 winchester, and sears Ted Williams 30/30 ) both have buckhorn sights on them. With this 45/70 I would like some type of longer range type of tang sight. I would appreciate any suggestions you lever guys might have. Thanks 120Rick...

NSB
01-22-2015, 02:13 PM
120Rick, putting a tang sight on the gun won't make it a long range sight. Sights like the Marbles tang sight needed to be screwed up and down to adjust them but it's not really something that is done on a practical basis in the field. If you want a sight that can be quickly, and accurately adjusted in the field then you need something like an MVA vernier tang hunting sight. They are very good sights but a bit on the expensive side. However, if you're willing to spend the money they offer excellent quick adjustment from close up out to around 300 yards or so. Check out MVA's website and take a look. One thing you could do with a Marbles tang sight is set it for one chosen long distance and then use the barrel mounted buckhorn sight for closer shots. Just a thought there.

BrentD
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
120Rick,
I have exactly this issue except that my 95 Marlin is the old one, made in 1899 in my case. The answer to your question is not simple. The MVA vernier is a possibility. Of the bunch I would strongly consider the 130 series, particularly those variations that have no elevator screw. The elevator screw can interfere with the bolt on cocking and become damaged over time. However, the 130 series do not get very tall - and my 95 has a ton of drop. I think yours will have slightly less but still enough that the 130 sight might not take you very far.

so, you could do an MVA midrange vernier. Again, the elevator screw is an issue but you could always remove it and the sight would be just as function. and that sight will let you reach out quite a ways depending on your front sight height and load.

There are at least two ways to go with specifying a base for your rifle. I believe the spacing on the new 95s is still 1.125" and thus any Ballard base will work. And these are what I prefer but they may still contact the bolt on cocking even w/o the elevator screw. How much so and will this be an issue, sort of depends on you and the exact details of your rifle and how you want to use it. The alternative to the Ballard base is, I believe, a Stevens base which has the pivot way at the rear. Some folks like this but holding the rifle can be problematic as it will interfere with normal thumb positioning. Only you can decide if it is okay. Personally, I don't like it.

Brent

Sgt Red Leg
01-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Rick, have you considered a barrel ladder sight ? I have a MVA mid range 130 series on my sharps and it works wonderfully! It will not however work on my 1886 Winchester. I am considering replacing my factory buck horn rear sight (barrel) w/a MVA "Rough and ready" barrel sight. It uses a ladder and a disc set up. Slide the disc up or down and rotate to lock in place. Does net to be mounted to a flat surface however. I am sure the Ladies at MVA would be glad to talk w/you. I shoot one match in Fernly, Neveda that haf a lever gun target at 300 yards. I do ok w/my buck horn sight, but "ok" doesn't always win. Good luck...keep us updated.

Sarge

120Rick
01-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks Sgt. Red Leg, I like the idea of the ladder sight i'll have to check one out. i was thinking about a vernier sight but it looked like I would get interference with the bolt hitting the adjustment screw on such sight. Really liked hunting with the 45/70, seems to stop those whitetail's in there tracks or slides them backwards anyway. Just something about the scope seems wrong to me on this rifle. Don't get me wrong it's very accurate with the scope that came on it, Its a cabella's 45/70 scope set up for hornady 325 gr. pointed soft point. I shot some and the 1,2and3 hundred marks in said scope were pretty close but the didn't group very well for me. I have been loading 400 and 405's grain bullets with a lot more respectable groups. I also tried a few 500 grain black powder loads but the bullet was seated to far out and wouldn't feed into chamber, although they shot good out of my BFR 45/70 pistol at least the first two ha ha they were only thumb pressed and started to slide forward out of the case. But again thanks for the info. Rick..

120Rick
01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks NSB, i'll check out the MVA website. Rick

120Rick
01-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks Brent, Rick..