PDA

View Full Version : 9mm reloading cost?

Markbo
01-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Of all the different rounds I load 9mm is not one of them. I just dont shoot the little round. But I am considering it only because I want one of those near useless little 9mm carbines. I see ammo sales constantly and it made me wonder...what does it cost?

If anyone can tell me a cost per round using off the shelf FMJs just because its easier to compare against store bought I'd sure.appreciate it. I just dont know if its worth it when you can buy factiry ammo for 21-22¢ per round

Much appreciated

newton
01-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Depends on what you buy components for. If you can get them for decent prices then your powder runs .02, primer runs .03, bullet runs .02, and case runs .02 - all rounded up though. Reuse the cases it gets cheaper.

It can vary from that though, but that gives you a ball park.

newton
01-22-2015, 02:34 PM
In the end, if you plan on shooting a lot, then you save. If not, then you don't. If you are not loading for it then you will need to buy all the stuff to load for it. Add all that up, then decide if you will shoot more than that in ammo.

Schrag4
01-22-2015, 02:34 PM
It depends how much your time is worth, I guess, and if you enjoy doing it. If I can make 1000 9mm rounds with my own cast bullets for roughly $70, is it worth the $150 difference? Just from a "how much my time is worth it" perspective, I can tell you the answer is a solid NO, but I actually enjoy casting and reloading so I do it anyway.

18Bravo
01-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Seems to be somewhat of an arbitrary question. Do you take into consideration the cost of equipment necessary to reload or just the perceived "actual cost" of the components? If we consider equipment costs such as furnace, reloading presses, dies, trimmers, etc., then the price per round would obviously be much higher. If you are just considering the component price to manufacture a round, the price drops considerably below the "off the shelf" price.

Prices of components vary to location and availability. Doing some quick math, this is what I would calculate a 9mm round to cost ME if I cast my own boolits from WW.

Boolit using FREE wheel weights and PC'ing .025 cents
Primer cost plus tax .035 cents
Brass preparation with range pickups .02 cents
Powder (5gr charge @ $25 per pound) .0175 cents

Total of .0975 cents per round

Boolit cost includes the price of propane to melt WW into ingots and the cost of the Powder for coating.

The truth is, if you ask 100 Reloaders this question you are going to get 100 different answers!

Markbo
01-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Even those that didn't read the part about off the shelf FMJs only. ;) And I am considering components only. I have all the reloading equipment already so it is not arbitrary at all, but quite specific. But even buying bullets & call it 12¢ a round, Schrag makes the exact point I wanted to determine...is it worth my time?

Thank you again!

18Bravo
01-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Even those that didn't read the part about off the shelf FMJs only. ;) And I am considering components only. I have all the reloading equipment already so it is not arbitrary at all, but quite specific. But even buying bullets & call it 12¢ a round, Schrag makes the exact point I wanted to determine...is it worth my time?

Thank you again!

Sorry...missed the FMJ part. I was thinking about this subject last night so I jumped with an answer before reading the small print. Buying from Xtreme (cheapest bulk I can find) a boolit runs around 8 to 9 cents. Truth is, I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting these days. It would be hard to put a price on something I look forward to doing!

Markbo
01-22-2015, 03:30 PM
No sweat. ;) Maybe if I burn up a case or two I'd feel the pinch but I wont until I do. I only have 1 9mm left eo Im not shooting a ton quite yet.

newton
01-22-2015, 03:57 PM
yep, missed that about the fmj. I took it to mean something different.

I found that when I used store bought bullets I loaded for almost what I could buy ammo for. So for me, it was about actually making the ammo myself not so much saving money. I found it to be fun and relaxing.

Now that I cast, I do get to save money. And after seeing the money I save, its hard to think about using store bought bullets. lol Don't get me wrong, there are times when I think it sure would be nice just to open a box and start loading. But then I think, for that one box I paid $20 for I could have made myself for $2.

In the end, it is all about time. I like it. Its fun. But since you already load you know this. :smile:

Tackleberry41
01-22-2015, 04:01 PM
FMJ, once you factor in your time really isnt worth it. Yes usually a little cheaper than what ever is cheapest on the shelf. But unless you have a progressive, time consuming to make any quantity.

I have been for a while getting my brass for free, powder is almost comical how cheap it can be, cast bullets were sometimes cheaper than the primer. Tho obviously doesnt factor in the time to cast the bullets then load them.

And yea you will get 100 answers from 100 loaders. I wont really mess with FMJ, unless I get just a super deal on the bullets. Generally stick with cast and HP. Some stuff is just not that expensive to buy, now 357 sig well your gonna save money no matter what you put in em.

Markbo
01-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Remember this was strictly an exercise for calculating use in a spray and pray type carbine...runnin & gunnin at tin cans. :) Nothing that requires expensive components to just get even decent accuracy. I have lots of revolvers to load my lead into & .45 ACP in pistols (which is working out quite nicely) but I dont think Id use it on 9mm. Just not worth the time

Schrag4
01-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I'll admit I didn't see the FMJ-only either (thought you were talking about FMJ factory ammo). Is there a reason you wouldn't consider plated instead? When you find a good deal, you can find them for about 3 cents less per bullet. I reload plated bullets for about 12-13 cents per finished round. This assumes I don't lose cases very often. Last time I was at the range I came home with 50% more than I took with me b/c the guys in the lane next to me didn't want theirs :-P

bob208
01-22-2015, 06:39 PM
one thing this passing ammo shortage has reaffirmed about reloading is it is not all about cost. say you want to go shooting and there is no 9mm on the shelf? take an hour and you have 2 boxes.

Schrag4
01-22-2015, 09:54 PM
one thing this passing ammo shortage has reaffirmed about reloading is it is not all about cost. say you want to go shooting and there is no 9mm on the shelf? take an hour and you have 2 boxes.

THIS is why I got into reloading 1.5 years ago. I'm a fairly new shooter (less than 5 years), and the recent ammo shortage was my first shortage. The idea at first was to just stock up on components and reload to get me through the next shortage. I found that I enjoy reloading so I see no point in buying factory ammo anymore for the calibers I reload - it would actually rob me of time spent in the reloading room.

bedbugbilly
01-22-2015, 10:14 PM
I don't reload a lot of 9mm but for the basics - primer - .04, 3.5 gr. Bulls Eye - .02, range brass casing - .03 so say 9 cents plus the bullet. I only shoot cast so you'd have to figure in the cost of the FMJ. The cost of the primer and BE is "rounded up". I scrounge a lot of my lead so I can load them at the 9 cents a round or $4.50 for a box of 50. I try to "find" the brass but at .03 a casing, if it gets lost, it's no big deal. If I can locate 'em, they're reused which will cut the cost a little more. YMMV

tazman
01-22-2015, 11:36 PM
I can buy plated bullets for 8cents per. They are cheaper than fmj and just as useful for run and gun. That makes my total about14-15 cents per loaded round.
When compared to 22cents a round that saves me 7 cents. I can load 175 rounds and hour. That means I would be getting $12.25 an hour for loading with plated.
I cast so the payment is a bit higher if you discount the time spent casting. That makes it almost $24 an hour for using my own cast. I shoot a lot of 9mm so the work is worth it for me.

Lefty Red
01-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Around here, I can get 50 rounds of 115gr FMJs for $10. I like to shoot 125gr FMJs, and I can get them for $15 for 50 rounds. I can reload them with Extreme Bullets for $8.50 per 50 rounds. It makes it worth it to me.

SSGOldfart
01-23-2015, 08:25 AM
For me it's not about how many pennies I can save, I like having Ammo when I want it, the way I want it casting and handloading isn't just how cheap one can make a round, As I believe my rounds are better then the high end factory stuff you can buy. Sure cutting cost plays a roll but it's not the only roll you need to look at.

str8wal
01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Around here, I can get 50 rounds of 115gr FMJs for $10.

Wow, not around here. The cheapest I have seen in stores is 13.99, plus tax. That boils down to about 30 cents per and I can load for about half that even with j-words.

scattershot
01-23-2015, 11:53 AM
I figure I can load 9mm for around $7.00/box of 50. That's with storebought plated bullets, 124 grain.
Of course, that doesn't take the initial outlay for the equipment into account.

Certaindeaf
01-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Of all the different rounds I load 9mm is not one of them. I just dont shoot the little round. But I am considering it only because I want one of those near useless little 9mm carbines. I see ammo sales constantly and it made me wonder...what does it cost?

If anyone can tell me a cost per round using off the shelf FMJs just because its easier to compare against store bought I'd sure.appreciate it. I just dont know if its worth it when you can buy factiry ammo for 21-22¢ per round

Much appreciated
Same as it ever was and for many/most like cartridges. You have to be able to add and stuff though. For me "now" it's like $18+5 per thousand.

Certaindeaf
01-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Much appreciated
At least you're thinking right. The FBI is going back to the 9 as they've deemed it's better in every single regard than the .357, .357 Sig, .40 and .45acp. I know!

Certaindeaf
01-23-2015, 03:41 PM
I know I didn't fall into line with your .45 mouthings but the thing is, (it's there in the report), the reason the 9 performs better/kills better (according to the FBI parameters.. they did the study), it's so much more common (read more money to be made) that the manufacturers pruduce/ed an artifact that is way more than quite viable/and indeed actually "works" in actual shooting results better than those others.
And then there are the other factors.

rexherring
01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
You can also get re-man ammo from places like Freedom Munitions cheap and first order ships free.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-p/fm9r115r-b0050.htm

Lefty Red
01-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Wow, not around here. The cheapest I have seen in stores is 13.99, plus tax. That boils down to about 30 cents per and I can load for about half that even with j-words.

OUCH! Those are Federal al cases and TulsAmmo. Now brass cases are about $13.

Lefty Red
01-23-2015, 08:11 PM
You can also get re-man ammo from places like Freedom Munitions cheap and first order ships free.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-p/fm9r115r-b0050.htm

Freedom is a great place to do bussiness with.. They even have brass turn in program that gives you credit!

They have specails daily and weekely.

Markbo
01-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Aaaannnd...they are literally 15 minutes drive from me. Thanks everyone. Got all the feedback i can use i thinkm

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-24-2015, 12:31 AM
they do make those little carbines in 9, 40 and 45 If you already cast and reload for 40 o 45

robertbank
01-24-2015, 02:09 AM
I cast so the payment is a bit higher if you discount the time spent casting. That makes it almost $24 an hour for using my own cast. I shoot a lot of 9mm so the work is worth it for me.

I for one think you have every right to take the money you save and buy a new pistol or revolver. I should tell you I tried that on my wife and...well after I woke up I realized it was just bad timing on my part. I didn't realize she had a frying pan in her hand.:smile:

If you try running it by your wife or significant other, make sure she has nothing in her hands that can hurt you.

Take Care

Bob

375supermag
01-24-2015, 10:40 AM
I for one think you have every right to take the money you save and buy a new pistol or revolver. I should tell you I tried that on my wife and...well after I woke up I realized it was just bad timing on my part. I didn't realize she had a frying pan in her hand.:smile:

If you try running it by your wife or significant other, make sure she has nothing in her hands that can hurt you.

Take Care

Bob

I don't believe I have ever discussed a firearm purchase for myself with my wife. We have discussed firearm purchases for our son when I purchased them and gave them as a birthday, Christmas, etc gift. but, only as a function as to whether she wanted to help pay for the gift.

Sometimes, when I buy a new gun she doesn't even take a look at it.

But then...she is always busy cutting the grass, washing and waxing my car, shoveling snow, etc. I try to be understanding and not interrupt her during those tasks...it would probably mean she would be late getting dinner ready anyway.

dh2
01-24-2015, 02:22 PM
I built one of those near worthless 9mm AR-15s I hand load what ever 115gr fmj that I can get cheap in bulk. I have never bought 9mm brass i load it for 12 cents per round. I started this for a fun cheap plinker. Now the kids and friends that never fired a gun before have about took it a way from me

bassnbuck
01-24-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't believe I have ever discussed a firearm purchase for myself with my wife. We have discussed firearm purchases for our son when I purchased them and gave them as a birthday, Christmas, etc gift. but, only as a function as to whether she wanted to help pay for the gift.

Sometimes, when I buy a new gun she doesn't even take a look at it.

But then...she is always busy cutting the grass, washing and waxing my car, shoveling snow, etc. I try to be understanding and not interrupt her during those tasks...it would probably mean she would be late getting dinner ready anyway.

WAKE UP! supermag your dreaming again. lol

str8wal
01-25-2015, 11:14 AM
And then there are the other factors.

The main factor is that even the wimpiest agents can shoot the 9 without flinching terribly and actually hit the target.

Garyshome
01-25-2015, 11:20 AM
If your going to shoot your "waste of time 9mm carbine" very much yes you will save money. It may take the place of your 22lr, specially if you cast your own boolits.
Thosr 9mm carbs are a blast to shoot! [even more so when they use the same mags as your pistol]

alg3205
01-25-2015, 11:49 AM
I did some math and considering the cost of a Dillon 550, brass, plated bullets, primers and assuming my time is worth $15 per hour, I load a box of 50 for $10.17. The savings being $3.33 over a box of 50 from WalMart at $13.50 including tax. If I drop the value of the brass (called reloading) the cost drops to $8.17, a savings of $5.33. Dropping the time value (I have the time and want to reload) the cost is $7.21 per box, a savings of $7.21 per 50. At that savings rate you pay off the Dillon in less than 100 boxes of ammo, between my son and I that is about a years worth of shooting.

My experience is that I do not save a dime, as I shot a whole lot more than if I bought commercial. The more shooting gives me better skills and a lot of time with my son, priceless.

6bg6ga
01-25-2015, 11:52 AM
I have one of those near worthless 45acp carbines. What started out as mine has gone to the wife. I reload for 380 and 9mm as well as other calibers. I believe that when figuring the price to reload you should figure in the current cost for components not the prices you had on components you purchased 30 years ago or for that matter the free wheel weights you got. I figure this way... the current cost of wheel weights, primers, and powder and roughly .03 per case to arrive at my per round cost.

Schrag4
01-25-2015, 11:59 AM
The main factor is that even the wimpiest agents can shoot the 9 without flinching terribly and actually hit the target.

I'm not sure if this is a jab at agents who can't shoot well, but this really is a HUGE factor. Forget that 9mm affords you more ammo in the magazine and greatly reduced training costs while giving up practically nothing in terms of performance. The factor you pointed out means the average agent (not gun-savvy) is more likely to make hits and survive a gunfight. Ultimately, that's all that really matters, IMO.

trapper9260
01-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Some people can not shoot any handgun no matter what.It dose not matter if it is a 9mm or 22lr.,It remind me of years ago my dad told me about a cop he seen in the sand pits shooting his 38spl. and for how he was shooting it he did not do good at all.My dad help him out with it and then he was able to shoot it the way it was to be. Some blame the gun alot of times with it is them self. I got one of those years ago.It was a rifle and the shop that had it I ask him what is wrong with the gun he said the own was.I got it and a box of ammo for it and to this day I did not had to mess with the scope that was on it at the time I got it.

bedbugbilly
01-25-2015, 02:23 PM
The bottom line is . . you can save money . . . which allows you to accumulate the money . . . so you can buy more reloading equipment, molds, dies, powder, primers . . . so you can save more money . . . so you can buy more reloading equipment,molds, dies, powder, primers . . . LOL

6bg6ga
01-25-2015, 04:02 PM
You same money on the store bought ammunition and spend the savings on reloading equipment :groner:

Combat Diver
01-26-2015, 06:02 AM
I only pay for primers and powder, figure .06 cents per round on my reloads with home cast bullets. I would rather cast and reload then watch TV in the evening, for me that's relaxation.

CD

GhostHawk
01-26-2015, 09:18 AM
^

I'm with Combat Diver.

You can't figure your time, this is a hobby, we do it because we enjoy it, because we find it calming, relaxing.
Because when the pot is hot, the mold is warm, the lead is streaming and the bullets are falling we find it, well, almost zen like.
At one with the world, at peace with the world, all is well and right. Time slips away unnoticed.

When that effort, time, and equipment produces ammunition that I can then go out and shoot at lower costs than buying new.
That is as good as it gets isn't it?

I figure all my centerfire cost less than .22 LR right now. So I have been sitting on the .22LR I have and reloading centerfire.
For now I have the powder, primers and lead for a couple of years worth of shooting. Next year I might have to buy some more lead.

The ammo cabinet is groaning. 7.62x39 there are more cast boolits loaded up and ready to go than I care to count. I know it is over 500 and under a thousand. .38 special/357 300 rounds, 9mm 200, .45 acp 200. .223 400. Waiting on my next Social Security check to buy .44 mag brass. Still working on load for the pair of Mosin Nagant rifles.

Sitting in my reloading room, knowing that the ammo cabinet is groaning = priceless

fragman
01-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Aaaannnd...they are literally 15 minutes drive from me. Thanks everyone. Got all the feedback i can use i thinkm

Same for me. Just a couple of exits on away on 290. And a Harbor Freight right across from it :)
As well as the ammo, they also sell plated bullets (Xtreme Bullets) and are always running deals on those.
Like others, reloading isnt just about cost per round, but availability of the round you want when you want it.

retread
01-28-2015, 02:16 AM
A lot depends on your view of your hobby. If you reload (with FMJ) just to have something to shoot then it probably makes little sense. If you view your hobby as a whole as I do (casting, loading and shooting) then it is well worth it. I get pleasure out of each aspect. I, like probably many here, ask myself the question "Do you cast and reload to shoot or do you shoot so you can cast and reload". My answer is BOTH.