PDA

View Full Version : ? for the 310 Gurus - seating die 32-20 WCF & 30 Carbine - Same????

bedbugbilly
01-21-2015, 10:51 PM
I think I am correct on this but need some advice from someone more experienced than I with the Lyman 310 dies . . .

I'm adding 32-20 WCF to my reloading line up and am trying to get a set of dies put together for that - even if mis-matched and cobbled - as long as they will work.

I have come by a 32-20 FL sizing die with an expander stem and de-capping pin - so that should take care of the "sizing", "de-priming" and the "mouth expanding" - I may de-prime with a 310 universal de-primng die and just use the new die without the de-capping pin.

So . . . what I need is a "seating die" that will work. Looking at the chart, it shows a . . .

#29 32-20 WCF (+ 30 Carb)

So I am assuming that some of those two cartridge 310 dies are interchangeable?

I don't have my reloading manuals handy but looking at the cartridge specs on Wikipedia I find . . .

Bullet Dia. .308 (Carbine) .312 (32 WCF)
Neck Dia. .331 (Carbine) .327 (32 WCF)
Base Dia. .354 (Carbine) .354 (32 WCF)
Rim Dia. .360 (Carbine) .408 (32 WCF)
Case Length 1.290 (Carbine) 1.315 (32 WCF)
COAL 1.650 (Carbine) 1.592 (32 WCF)

The differences mainly being .004 larger bullet diameter in the 32 WCF, rim diameter which shouldn't affect anything as far as a seating die, case lengths but the COAL is close enough that by adjusting the seating stem should work fine?

Am I thinking correctly on this that a seating 310 seating die body and stem for the 30 Carbine will work just fine on the 32-20?

I'm also thinking that if I can find an expander die body for the 30 carbine and an expander stem in say .313 or .314 that it should work as well for the cast bullets I want to use which will probably be around that size?

Thanks for any input - greatly appreciated!

Green Frog
01-24-2015, 10:39 PM
bedbugbilly,

It looks like you got your info off of that listing I put together about 10 or so years ago. I have to admit that I have not actually seated a 32-20 round using a 30 Carbine die, but the specs for the neck and bullet part of both rounds are the same and two or more Lyman manuals showed the number being the same, so I copied it.

To the best of my knowledge, it will work, but my kid brother has a 30 Carbine set of dies and I can try it out for you. The problem is that he lives 3 1/2 hours away so it will be a while before I can actually try it. It should work OK though, so "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances!"

Froggie

nitro-express
01-24-2015, 11:06 PM
According to this Lyman chart, the DA for both is a #29, confirming the GF list.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a3r331694p1gql/310Chart.pdf?dl=0

bedbugbilly
01-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks fellas - greatly appreciate the replies. You are right Froggie - I got the info off of your list. From everything I'm seeing in comparing the two cartridges, it "should" work - about the only difference I can see where there might be a hang up is the bullet diameter - the carbine .308 versus the 32-20's .311 - .314 (depending on what cast size you're using) but I believe there is clearance on the ID of the die case to handle that.

Froggie - if you get a chance sometime - I'd appreciate you checking and seeing if it will work. I'm not in any hurry as I figure I'll have to "assemble" this set over time. I'd like to find a complete set of 32-20 310 dies but so far, I've never run across any so it may be like finding a needle in a haystack? :-) If I have to, I figure I can probably re-work (i.e. cobble up) a seating die and an expander die out of other 310 dies if necessary. The de-priming/sizing die that I have has an expander on the de-priming shaft that measures .310. I'm going to be shooting out of a Uberti SAA 32-20 which I haven't purchased yet so am not real sure what expander size I'll need but it shouldn't be too hard to re-work a larger dis. expander stem to size. I also need to come up with a #3 shell adapter for the tongs.

Greatly appreciate the help and once I get a set put together - I'll try and post some photos of what I come up with. Thanks again!

Jim