PDA

View Full Version : AK47 to be made in USA

Hickory
01-21-2015, 08:31 PM
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/619922

Artful
01-21-2015, 10:18 PM
There have been others.

http://bearingarms.com/century-arms-c39-100-american-made-ak-47-part-1-1000-round-torture-test/

http://www.ioinc.us/

GhostHawk
01-21-2015, 10:30 PM
I believe Century International has a line of 5 or 6 AK variants all made with Receivers, actions, triggers made in USA. I think they are still importing wood and minor parts.

I don't think it is that hard a rifle to build. Although I don't have the tools or skills to do so.

bruce drake
01-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Its an attempt by the Russian company to get around the sanctions that the US has placed on Putin and his crew after their shenanigans in the Crimea and the Ukraine. Kalishnakov USA will still be owned by Russians and all the money will go back there. I hate for the idea to not support the americans that might work there but I can't support their products. It would be like the Chinese People's Liberation Army building a factory in the US to build Norinco firearms to get around the Clinton era sanctions that are placed on them...

tomme boy
01-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Century has an ALL American made AK right now. Bad thing is the barrels are not chrome lined.

dtknowles
01-21-2015, 11:23 PM
Century has an ALL American made AK right now. Bad thing is the barrels are not chrome lined.

I don't own a single rifle with a chrome lined bore, seems unnecessary, I would not see this as a negative.

Tim

Ickisrulz
01-21-2015, 11:31 PM

They seem to be now.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ri2169c-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

Dhammer
01-22-2015, 03:04 AM
And Century still can't get em right. Let alone repair what they make. I've got more issues with mine since it went back to them. They didn't even put the stock back on right!! Of course gun store owner admitted afterwards every single Century he got in had issues. Before hand he swore model I was buying no issues and were among the better ones. Never bought another gun from him after that. I paid a premium and got junk.

I was wondering what they were going to get around I that stupid sanction glad its happening. The more offerings the better.

6bg6ga
01-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Do you think you really need a chrome lined barrel? I sincerely doubt that you will go thru a barrel in your lifetime. Here is Iowa trying to get a full auto stamp isn't going to happen.

Handloader109
01-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Chrome lined is mainly to allow shooting **** imported steel cartridges with corrosive primers. Not really necessary any more as That ammo is pretty well gone

perotter
01-22-2015, 10:42 AM
I don't own a single rifle with a chrome lined bore, seems unnecessary, I would not see this as a negative.

Tim

I have several that are chrome lined. The only Type 99's I own or wish to own are chrome lined. The bores are as good was they were in 1942 and WW2 Japanese primers were more corrosive than anything else ever used. And if one ever had to make do with corrosive primers or powder, a chrome lined bore would be great. I'd only own a chrome lined AK, because I'd only have one for the convenience of it being able to use corrosive ammo.

I hope they make the ones that don't have the pistol grip.

magyars4
01-22-2015, 10:56 AM
What happened to the Arsenal arms company in Tx that was making all American AK's? with no imported parts I believe.

Love Life
01-22-2015, 11:03 AM
FN uses chrome lined barrels on their SPR line of rifles. Very accurate, and clean easily. Supposedly a longer life and there are people out there with upwards of 8,000 documented rds down the barrel with no change in accuracy. That is off topic though.

I like my AK's like I like my booze and cigs...cheap.

DR Owl Creek
01-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Arsenal USA has been making very high quality AK variants here in the US, actually in the Las Vegas, Nevada area, since the mid to late 1990's. Their factory techs were trained in Bulgaria. They make both the 1mm thick, stamped sheet metal receiver type (AKM), and the forged, milled receiver type (AK47) rifles with the barrels threaded into the receivers. All of their barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined, and of very good quality.

To see more, go to: http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/home.php

The 7.62x39mm cartridge in general, and the AK rifles in particular, don't get the respect they deserve because most of the ones out there are crudely made, stamped sheet metal models, with the barrels pressed into the receiver, and used with the cheapest ammo their owners could find. When you shoot a really good one, with ammo tuned specifically for it, it will usually out perform any Ruger Mini I've ever seen, and a lot of the garden variety AR's too. IMHO

Dave

tomme boy
01-22-2015, 01:28 PM
There is a lot of the Yugo ammo out there. Along with Romanian. Both are corrosive.

Hickok
01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
I have an Arsenal Usa made/reworked AK-74 5.45x39 and it is a quality made rifle. It is Russian made and brought over here to Arsenal in Las Vegas where they refit/rework them to close to mil spec.

Using a K-VAR scope mount with a 4x Burris scope, and Russian WOLF or Tula Steel case ammo, it will group and shoot just as well as my Bushmaster CAR with a scope and using mil spec 55 gr FMJ 5.56 ammo, 5 shots into 2 inches at 100.

When using good handloads and Sierra 55gr softpoints, the CAR will group better than the AK-74, but I have no way to reload the 5.45x 39 round.

Arsenal puts out a quality AK rifle.

Tackleberry41
01-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Russians may be trying to get around the sanctions, but dont expect the same sort of price point. Less shipping costs, but higher labor. If their going to do it, maybe 2 lines standard run of the mill military type, then more premium versions. The extra effort you see in the Arsenal guns.

As for century, just shows that even something like an AK, a weapon you can make out of a shovel blade, can still be screwed up somehow. See em in racks all the time, look them over, eeeew 'century'. Century import, built, not really sure standing there looking at it. But I am not going to be the one taking the risk. Friends will call me 'at the show they got an AK' I always ask same question 'stamped century' if so move on. If I was standing there with them, could look it over one thing, but not over the phone. Now if they were to suddenly get their stuff together and do things right, that might change. But there was a time when they did make good stuff, so would take alot for me to buy anything they make.

Now they have some of their own exclusive guns. Got a flier the other day, the pistols were made in Serbia, so they just import. Had some Saiga 12 copy gun, looked them up, Chinese made junk from the reviews, so now century is farming out their junk work. Seen their coach guns, but again dont really want to be the guinea pig. Anybody had one to say yay or nay?

Ickisrulz
01-22-2015, 06:02 PM
Russians may be trying to get around the sanctions, but dont expect the same sort of price point. Less shipping costs, but higher labor. If their going to do it, maybe 2 lines standard run of the mill military type, then more premium versions. The extra effort you see in the Arsenal guns.

As for century, just shows that even something like an AK, a weapon you can make out of a shovel blade, can still be screwed up somehow. See em in racks all the time, look them over, eeeew 'century'. Century import, built, not really sure standing there looking at it. But I am not going to be the one taking the risk. Friends will call me 'at the show they got an AK' I always ask same question 'stamped century' if so move on. If I was standing there with them, could look it over one thing, but not over the phone. Now if they were to suddenly get their stuff together and do things right, that might change. But there was a time when they did make good stuff, so would take alot for me to buy anything they make.

Now they have some of their own exclusive guns. Got a flier the other day, the pistols were made in Serbia, so they just import. Had some Saiga 12 copy gun, looked them up, Chinese made junk from the reviews, so now century is farming out their junk work. Seen their coach guns, but again dont really want to be the guinea pig. Anybody had one to say yay or nay?

I see most people are happy with the C39. Any input on this model?

garym1a2
01-22-2015, 06:10 PM
I put quite a few rounds thru my brothers Russian Arsenal AK74 and they are great rifles. I prefer the Russian made ammo for them. My worry is when the supply of cheap 5.45 ammo dries up.
For an AK47 type I don't think chrome lines bores are a requirement, But I would pay the price for a good hammer forged barrel or just get an O-Pap.[
QUOTE=Hickok;3103074]I have an Arsenal Usa made/reworked AK-74 5.45x39 and it is a quality made rifle. It is Russian made and brought over here to Arsenal in Las Vegas where they refit/rework them to close to mil spec.

Using a K-VAR scope mount with a 4x Burris scope, and Russian WOLF or Tula Steel case ammo, it will group and shoot just as well as my Bushmaster CAR with a scope and using mil spec 55 gr FMJ 5.56 ammo, 5 shots into 2 inches at 100.

When using good handloads and Sierra 55gr softpoints, the CAR will group better than the AK-74, but I have no way to reload the 5.45x 39 round.

Arsenal puts out a quality AK rifle.[/QUOTE]

Tackleberry41
01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
I see most people are happy with the C39. Any input on this model?

No idea, I havent been in the market for an AK for a long time. And with their past reputation for screwing up something so simple, well I would pick another brand. If there is a bad one, it would be the one I bought, then have to send back, argue with them etc. Century is like wal mart, they can get away with their business model selling at the lowest price, yea they have alienated plenty of customers, but always enough to keep them going. I was in the market for an AK shotgun, dont want to pay the prices some seem to think their worth, its an AK that takes shotgun shells. But the reviews on the fury sold by century were pretty brutal, yea adjustable gas regulator out of the box, but typical chinese workmanship inside. Guess you can try to make things to cheap. I would like a coach gun, but again leery of anything century had a hand in. Might be fine today, but what about 5 yrs from now, and you cant get parts for it?

kweidner
02-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Never bought into the AK thing. Prefer our stuff. Only foriegn semi I own is an SKS I bought when I was in HS. Just personal preference. I like the US equivalent in the 300bo bunches though. If I was sent overseas to fight, I would want an AK as ammo would be plentiful. Someone in my family owns 7 of em. Not sure why...... but after seeing the accuracy of the 300 BO he all but swore em off. To bad he has so much ammo for em. I think they serve their purpose but don't think I will ever own one. They are kinda fun to shoot though.

Love Life
02-02-2015, 10:35 AM
The AK will do what needs doing. Even the el cheapo WASR will hit man sized targets out to 300 yds regularly enough to make me not want to stand down range of one.

Some AK's are more accurate than others, and you pay for that. Same thing in the AR world. I buy these types of guns for one purpose so I usually go budget and am happy if they hold 2-4 MOA with Iron sights and bulk fodder.

garym1a2
02-02-2015, 01:30 PM
If you want a good acurate AK look for a Russian 74 type. than stock up on the cheap ammo before it disappears.

DR Owl Creek
02-02-2015, 02:57 PM
The AK will do what needs doing. Even the el cheapo WASR will hit man sized targets out to 300 yds regularly enough to make me not want to stand down range of one...

They sound impressive from down range too...

Dave

Love Life
02-02-2015, 03:01 PM
So I've been told.

Powder Burn
02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
I guess I got lucky. Bought a Serbia M70 OPAP a year ago from AIMS and reworked by Century to allow high capacity mags. It was basically brand new with a few 922r parts, i.e. trigger, muzzle brake added by Century. This thing seems well built (AKM) receiver and saw the first boolet castings I reloaded. I've used just about every type of magazine out there and have had no problems. I drool over the Arsenal AK's but they are out of my price range. Son bought one just like mine and has had very good luck with his also.