PDA

View Full Version : herters 30-06 dies

Remiel
01-21-2015, 05:40 PM
got 2 sets of herters micrometer dies w/ the sizer one is missing decap pin and expander other set is complete w/ spare pins, are these full length? and how hard is it to get parts?

fguffey
01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
http://www.ch4d.com/

I have a Herters catalog, I use it for resource. I do not believe they made a micro adjust sizing die. They did make seating dies with micro adjust. My seating dies are labeled 'universal', meaning the die body was used for seating bullets for different chambers by changing the bullet guide.

F. Guffey

Remiel
01-21-2015, 08:12 PM
the seat dies say 30-06 on the body and have the micrometer drum on top

gwpercle
01-21-2015, 08:45 PM
I have several sets of Herter's standard dies, but none of the micrometer ones, but all the parts for the standard ones are available from CH4D, go to website and click on dies, then click on parts. Compare the photo's of the parts to what you have and it should indicate if it will work.
Hope you "get lucky". I have used Herter's dies for years and like them a lot.
Gary

Remiel
01-21-2015, 09:02 PM
I have several sets of Herter's standard dies, but none of the micrometer ones, but all the parts for the standard ones are available from CH4D, go to website and click on dies, then click on parts. Compare the photo's of the parts to what you have and it should indicate if it will work.
Hope you "get lucky". I have used Herter's dies for years and like them a lot.
Gary

ty, i have 2 sets and if i can get the part for the one i will prob give the other set to my buddy

EDG
01-22-2015, 04:16 PM
The Herter's decap pins and expanders are not much different than RCBS or CH.

Check the thread size for the decapper and compare to the 30 caliber for RCBS. I have used RCBS expanders several times to replace the missing items on Herters and other dies. I think CH uses the same expander thread as Herter's and RCBS.

Wayne Smith
01-22-2015, 10:55 PM
In a pinch I have and do use a cut off brad as a decap pin. In fact there is one in one of my 310 dies now.

Pressman
01-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Remiel, Herter's neck sizing dies are noticeable as they used a removable sleeve in the die body. Without the sleeve they are full length dies. C-H originally made the Herter's dies so parts are still readily available. The Micrometer sizers were part of the MkIV die sets. They work OK but need an O ring over the threads, under the cap to remove some of the looseness. Put a little silicone lube on the ring and the die works as good as the modern stuff.

Ken

Remiel
01-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Remiel, Herter's neck sizing dies are noticeable as they used a removable sleeve in the die body. Without the sleeve they are full length dies. C-H originally made the Herter's dies so parts are still readily available. The Micrometer sizers were part of the MkIV die sets. They work OK but need an O ring over the threads, under the cap to remove some of the looseness. Put a little silicone lube on the ring and the die works as good as the modern stuff.

Ken

both sets appear to be FL dies w/ one missing expander and decapper(he must have broken it?) will get parts and prob trade the one set to a buddy and hold onto or sell the other, i dont have a 30-06 at the moment