PDA

View Full Version : Made my first 6 kg of Linotype today

LoopSoosStroop
01-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Unobtanium here in SA, so I made my own. 84% stick on WW, 12% pure Antimony, 4% pure Tin.

Started by melting the WW, takes Then added the Antimony. Took about 80 min for the Antimony block to fully dissolve. Tin took seconds.

6 kg Lino good to go. Got enough raw material for another 10 kg, will do the rest tomorrow.

Ola
01-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Now I'm curious: where did you get the pure antimony? I have never seen it in blocks..

fryboy
01-21-2015, 09:08 PM
shattering the block ( easy enough to do ) would speed up your dissolving time by making smaller pieces , wrap it in a couple layers of strong cloth and set it on something hard and whack it even harder with a big hammer ;)

oddly enough ..i use a bit of lino but rarely straight ,cutting it 3 or 4 to 1 makes a pretty fair approximation of clip on ww's

runfiverun
01-22-2015, 01:00 AM
the tin helps pull the antimony into the alloy too.

LoopSoosStroop
01-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Now I'm curious: where did you get the pure antimony? I have never seen it in blocks..

Foundry here in Johannesburg sells it. R150 per kg. (Roughly $6-7 a lb).

LoopSoosStroop
01-22-2015, 01:41 AM
shattering the block ( easy enough to do ) would speed up your dissolving time by making smaller pieces , wrap it in a couple layers of strong cloth and set it on something hard and whack it even harder with a big hammer ;)

Will try that tonight when I mix the second batch, makes sense.