PDA

View Full Version : New Magma Star arrived today

SteveM
01-20-2015, 11:48 PM
This thing is fast!! I've been using a RCBS Lube-a-matic II for years and there is no comparison. The RCBS is a fine machine, but this thing is in a completely different league! The only option I have so far is the "D" handle lever, I already had the base heater. It took me about an hour to acclimate myself with it and get everything adjusted. The only minor complaint I have is the handle won't stay in the "up" position.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/stevemikel2/100_3011_zps5d82da44.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/stevemikel2/media/100_3011_zps5d82da44.jpg.html)
It only took a few minutes to lube and size these Lyman 429421's..........only 50 more lbs. to go :D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/stevemikel2/100_3012_zps9f4784a7.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/stevemikel2/media/100_3012_zps9f4784a7.jpg.html)

gmsharps
01-20-2015, 11:53 PM
You will find that you will need to get more machines if you use different lubes. It's a pain to change lube in any machine reguardless of manufacture and the convienience of switching machines makes sense. Once you have used a star it's hard to go back congrats on the new toy.

gmsharps

GabbyM
01-21-2015, 12:25 AM
For the handle. I just use a big rubber band to hold it up for die changes. And to stow it when done. Else I'll walk into it when passing by.

Never felt much need for fancy options on the hand operated machine. You'll get a feel for how much and often to turn the lube screw. Best option is a small jar of Vaseline to keep o rings lubed so they don't get crushed when installing the piston and dies.

VHoward
01-21-2015, 12:44 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-and-Magma-Star-Lube-sizer-Handle-Ram-Return-Kit-/160909882014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2576f9f29e
All this kit is is 2 cotter pins of small diameter and a short spring. It keeps the handle in the upright position. You could probably go to your local hardware store and buy these things for less than the $6 of the kit.

ph4570
01-21-2015, 12:54 PM
The standard handle is not very comfortable to operate. The shovel handle is probably much better.

I made one with a slightly longer bar and a pool ball -- actually the ball from an old computer trackball but the same size as a pool ball. I use that ebay kit and it works for me but would likely not be a strong enough spring for the heavier shovel handle.

MT Chambers
01-21-2015, 01:16 PM
I don't mind the factory handle so much, but it also can drop when you don't expect it. The air hookup is prolly the best addition to your Star, I use the Magma air cyl. and it's the Bee's knees.

SteveM
01-21-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm seriously looking into the air feed...... Man, I love this thing!! Lubing/sizing a mountain of bullets has always kin of been a pain.......the RCBS was too slow. This star,......is almost too fast.
When casting, I go slow. For me casting bullets is both relaxing and enjoyable. Casting has always been enjoyable, that's why I do it. After casting a mountain of bullets, the thought of lube/sizing them on my LAM2 was always a daunting task..............Now, sizing is almost as much fun as casting!! The mountain of bullets that takes me 4 hours to cast, takes 30 min to size/lube!!! Thank You Magma!!

rodsvet
01-21-2015, 11:21 PM
First get the air setup, and then the bullet feeder. Even if you don't use bullet tubes, (which I don't) you just feed the short tube and it keeps you from cutting off portions of your fingers. Greatest little machine in the world!!! Rod

mac266
01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
NIIIIIIIICE!

I went to youtube and watched a few videos of that thing in action. One of the guys said something I totally agree with: I love casting, but the thought of running a whole pile of boolits through my LAM II gives me a headache. I do a lot more pistol boolits than rifle, and I shoot pistol boolits in batches of at least 300 rounds per range session. That equates to a *LOT* of time in front of my LAM II.

Guess what just went to the top of my Christmas list?

oger
01-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Wind a coil spring around one of the shafts so it puts upward pressure on the assemble when you release the handle. All of my stars have been modified this way with zero problems.

cajun shooter
01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
SteveM, I started with my first Star in 1970 and have had as many as three going at the same time. I'm sorry but I will disagree with the member who said that you need the bullet feeder. If you keep your head about you then you will never hit a finger. If you try to go like a bat out of hell then you may lose part of a digit.
The air pusher is the best thing since sliced bread. You don't need an air compressor like everyone states is necessary. I have used for years, a 7gallon air tank from Walley world. Fill it to at least 90 lbs of air pressure and lube/size away. You don't use any air, just the pressure so the same tank of air will work for months or longer if you have no leaks. Just make sure you use Teflon tape on all treads. You may fill your tank at a full service gas station(if you can find one these days) or a tire store. I have my own 150 PSI compressor in my shop. My wife does not have to hear any loud compressor inside as that is where my Stars are kept. Later David