PDA

View Full Version : scope for 454

wlc
01-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Recommend a scope for me to put on my Ruger SRH Toklat in 454. This won't be a permanent fixture on this pistol, but I thought it might be fun for off the bench shooting to 50 yards (my home range only goes to 50) seeing as how my eyes don't like to focus using the irons as well as they used to. I'd really like to take my eyes out of the accuracy equation. I don't want to spend a fortune, but do want something that will hold up under the recoil of the 454. Thanks for any help.

Tatume
01-20-2015, 05:04 PM
For 50 yard shooting you will be well served with the 1" Ultra Dot red dot sight. It is the least expensive scope in the Ultra Dot product line, and it is the best. I have several.

The other scopes to consider, especially for longer range, are the Leupold 2x or 4x pistol scopes. I like 4x, and shoot them very well on my revolvers and Contender.

I've given up on Burris. They break too often.

lefty o
01-20-2015, 05:28 PM
2x leupold.

bobthenailer
01-21-2015, 08:30 AM
If you decide for a scope 2X leupold period ! with a lifetime warranty

However can talk you into some type of red dot sight ! a 30mm Ultradot is a excellent choice with a lifetime warranty.

On my FA 454 Casull's , #1 a 10" has a 1x4 Burris ,{ IMO a red dot sight and a 2x pistol are about = with the advantage going to the red dot sight} the other two currently have Aimpoint Micro's .

At one time i had a Aimpoint comp on #2 a 7.5" and a Pride/Fowler special ops sight on #3 a 6.0" Something like a Burris fast fire .

If looking for a smaller size red dot sight ? I currently have two Bushnell TRS 25 on one 357 mag revolver and another on a 3" 629 with good results so far! my other 629's have Aimpoint comps.

I also have several mini red dot sight mounted on the slide's of CF semiauto pistol, with no problems so far .

But at less than $90.00 maybe you can try the TRS 25 ?

Markbo
01-22-2015, 02:17 PM
2x. Leupold. Nikon. Burris. In that order. A 4x can work but eye position becomes a little unforgiving.

hornady308
01-23-2015, 12:54 PM
My fav is the Burris 2.75x Scout scope. 2nd fav is any Leupold or Burris 2x. I pick them up used and have never had a problem.

paralaska
01-23-2015, 06:51 PM
First scope on my 7 1/2" Ruger .454 SBH was a varible Bushnell and the gun turned it to junk in short order . . . Got a Burris varible 2x7 and it has held up quite well (actually prefer using it at about 2 to 3x).
On my 5" Toklat . . . I put a 30mm red dot and it works fine. However, I usually just use the iron sights on the Toklat because it is more my "woods carry gun" vs the 7 1/2" which is more a "hunting" gun. If I was hunting with the Toklat . . . I'd probably stick with a red dot vs a scope.

Nicholas
01-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Leupold 2x on my 7.5 inch SRH does all I need for hunting. Makes it a bulky package so carry is with an across the shoulder and chest holster, a bandolier holster I think it is called.

Tom W.
01-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Burris varible 2x7 was put on mine, using the Burris rings with the rubber inserts. I was really happy with my setup.

wlc
01-24-2015, 12:37 AM
First scope on my 7 1/2" Ruger .454 SBH was a varible Bushnell and the gun turned it to junk in short order . . . Got a Burris varible 2x7 and it has held up quite well (actually prefer using it at about 2 to 3x).
On my 5" Toklat . . . I put a 30mm red dot and it works fine. However, I usually just use the iron sights on the Toklat because it is more my "woods carry gun" vs the 7 1/2" which is more a "hunting" gun. If I was hunting with the Toklat . . . I'd probably stick with a red dot vs a scope.

Para. what kind of red dot did you put on yours? I don't plan to hunt with mine either as I bought it as a woods gun. I wanted to put an optic on it in order to take my eyesight out of the accuracy equation when killing paper targets. As I get older I have found that I can either see the target and have fuzzy sights or have clear sights and a fuzzy target. Can't have clear sights and target without optics of some type. I shoot it well enough at 25 yards (as far as I've shot it so far) to suit me for woods carry but would really like to know its accuracy potential. I need to try it out at 50 just for fun.

paralaska
01-24-2015, 02:21 AM
The Ruger rings are kinda limiting because: when they are mounted . . . You only have 1 & 7/8" (48mm) distance between them. A lot of the red dots I looked at had control groups that were larger than that. I found one made by HAWKE that would fit between the rings. The control group on it is only 1 1/2" long, so it fit between the rings with a little extra wiggle room. The whole sight is 4 1/4" long or 5 1/2" if you attach the included sun screen tube that came with it. (I have a picture of it mounted on my 7 1/2", but am having trouble trying to post it.)
Also . . . consider that you will need a carry holster that accommodates it. I have a nice carry holster for the unscoped Toklat, but will have to make one for carrying it with the red dot mounted.
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/red-dot-1x30-4moa-weaver-rail.html
R

GL49
01-24-2015, 02:01 PM
I've got a 2X Leupold on my SRH, it's used for the same reason you'll use yours. Old eyes and open sights are a bit troublesome when shooting at 2" black circles at 50 yards and farther. I've never used or owned another brand of scope on a revolver, so I can't compare quality or ruggedness to the Leupold. The clarity of the Leupold is not lacking, I don't believe you'd be disappointed in one.

Snyd
01-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Don't rule out the 2x28 Weaver

dh2
01-24-2015, 10:20 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/692040/bushnell-elite-pistol-scope-2-6x-32mm-multi-x-reticle
This is what I went with the first scope I tried on my .454 Cassull came a part in less than 100 rounds

paralaska
01-24-2015, 10:49 PM
DH2, that's the first one I had also that turned into junk. . . the Burris 2x7, however, has held up quite well.